Some Windows ME Problems (errors)

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tony, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Tony

    Tony Guest

    A customer brought a PC in to me after getting off the phone and being told that Dell does not help
    with software problems). They told me that everyone they talked to or brought it to could not do
    anything and the machine would not boot up.

    I started in safe mode, took out a bunch of stuff in the startup menu, rebooted, installed spybot
    and adaware (and removed around 150 bad files between the two). Now that most of the spyware files
    are gone, it seemed to be running ok except that whenever I open IE, I get this message:

    Explorer has caused an error in Kernel32.dll. Explorere will now close. When I click ok, it works
    fine, but it happens every time I open it. I know the customers are not going to want to see that. I
    installed the latest IE 6.0 from MS website but the problem is still there.

    Also, the home page keeps going back to about: blank. I ran Hijack This and ticked all of the about
    blank entries and the problem is still there.

    On the most recent boot, I get the following message when trying to open IE:

    This program is incompatible with this version of Windows.

    I rebooted and got the following messages as windows was loading:

    The L232.dll file cannot start. Check the file to determine the problem
    The Version.dll file cannot start.Check the file to determine the problem

    So, there are 4 issues here. Anyone with any suggestions?

    Here is the most recent Hijack this log:

    Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 11:54:55 AM, on 7/5/2004
    Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)
    Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DEVLDR16.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NDRV.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    C:\HIJACKTHIS\1\HIJACKTHIS.EXE
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM/left.html
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\sp.html
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    file://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\sp.html
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = file://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\sp.html
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = file://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\sp.html
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    file://C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\sp.html
    O2 - BHO: Curl - {A78CC2FF-6E4E-4556-B27C-D7C3A70D7A50} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NDRV.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {1B7D753B-1981-4bd2-91F3-6D055EE113A0} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NDRV.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search &
    Destroy\SDHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program
    files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {087173EF-9829-4F49-8340-A524177D3F60} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INETP60.DLL
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {35844D4A-C4FB-4007-A13D-D3A08F0DCE20} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\BDGMBA.DLL
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program
    files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Rundll32_8] rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\INETP60.DLL,DllRunServer
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [devldr16.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\devldr16.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NDrv] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NDrv.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Define - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference
    2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
    Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM
    FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsearch.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM
    FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmcache.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM
    FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmsimilar.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://C:\PROGRAM
    FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM
    FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR1.DLL/cmtrans.html
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Define (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Microsoft® _JavaScript® Console (HKLM)

    Thanks

    Tony
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: _JavaScript Console (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: TREND MICRO HouseCall (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Microsoft® _JavaScript® Console (HKCU)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: _JavaScript Console (HKCU)
    O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) -
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/ActiveData.cab
    O16 - DPF: {CE28D5D2-60CF-4C7D-9FE8-0F47A3308078} (ActiveDataInfo Class) -
    https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/SymAData.cab
    O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) -
    http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
    O16 - DPF: {7ED7005B-4AF6-4CFF-9AE0-F243C4B8260F} (HouseCallButton.setup) -
    http://de.trendmicro-europe.com/file_downloads/common/housecall/HouseCallButton.CAB

    Tony, Jul 5, 2004

  2. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I was able to re-install Windows ME over the original installation, ran a Dos based antivirus and
    now everthing is fixed except for the following error:

    "Explorer has caused an error in Kernel32.dll. Explorere will now close"

    This happens when I open Internet Explorer 6.0 and Windows Explorer. When I click OK, the programs
    function normally. I do not want to give this back to the customer like this. What is causing this?
    Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

    Tony

    Tony, Jul 6, 2004

  3. On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:33:14 -0700 , Tony < >
    wrote:

    >"Explorer has caused an error in Kernel32.dll. Explorere will now close"

    I'm betting it's a Spyware thing. Specifically a BHO (Browser help
    Object).

    Go to "Tools. Internet Options, Advanced", and uncheck "Enable third
    party Browser Extensions". Do a restart and see if that stops the
    error. If so, , run the traditional Ad-aware, Spybot, Hijaak This
    Combo, plus, Search for somethinbg called "BHO Demon". This will show
    you specifically what BHO's are loading, and allow you to control
    them.

    mhaase-at-springmind.com, Jul 6, 2004
  4. Tony

    Geoff Guest

    Tony wrote:
    > I was able to re-install Windows ME over the original installation,
    > ran a Dos based antivirus and now everthing is fixed except for the
    > following error:
    >
    > "Explorer has caused an error in Kernel32.dll. Explorere will now
    > close"
    >
    > This happens when I open Internet Explorer 6.0 and Windows Explorer.
    > When I click OK, the programs function normally. I do not want to
    > give this back to the customer like this. What is causing this?
    > Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    >
    > Tony

    basicly if you have tryed everything to fix this just do a fresh install and
    put all their settings back yourself
    for all you know it could be duff hardware, like bad ram bad sectors on hdd
    etc
    windows could simple be screwed by all the spyware that was on it, crap
    programs install the wrong files etc

    Geoff, Jul 6, 2004
  5. Tony

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 6, 2004 "mhaase-at-springmind.com" blathered:

    > I'm betting it's a Spyware thing.

    I'm betting it's a Windows Me thing.

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jul 7, 2004
  6. Tony

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 6, 2004 "Geoff" blathered:

    > windows could simple be screwed

    Considering it's Windows Me, that's a given.

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jul 7, 2004
  7. Tony

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 6, 2004 "Tony" blathered:

    > I was able to re-install Windows ME over the original installation,

    Why on earth would you want to do that? It's like throwing bad after
    worse.

    > ran
    > a Dos based antivirus and now everthing is fixed except for the
    > following error:
    >
    > "Explorer has caused an error in Kernel32.dll. Explorere will now close"

    Don't worry, I'm sure another error will pop up after you find the fix for
    that one.

    > This happens when I open Internet Explorer 6.0 and Windows Explorer.
    > When I click OK, the programs function normally. I do not want to give
    > this back to the customer like this.

    Then convince them of the evils of Windows Me and persuade them to either
    downgrade to Windows 98SE or upgrade to Windows 2000.

    > What is causing this?

    Windows Me sucks.

    > Thanks for
    > any help anyone can give me.

    If you (or your customer for that matter) are going to insist on using
    Windows Me, there's not much help for you.

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    Can you tell I despise Windows Me?

    TechGeekPro, Jul 7, 2004
  8. Tony

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 7, 2004 "ImhoTech" blathered:

    Then you must be the "ignorant ****" since it is you who is being hateful.

    > Any competent tech could. The relative
    > quality of the OS is a non-issue.

    In my experience of dealing with hundreds of PC's running Windows Me, I
    have found it to be very unreliable and unstable. It seems whenever one
    problem is fixed more problems pop up. Yes you *can* get it to run
    (eventually), but why go through the hassle when there are much better
    alternatives?

    In my experience of dealing with know-it-all little pricks who think
    they're superior to everyone else, unfortunately I have not found a fix.

    Anyone have a solutions for this epidemic?

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jul 7, 2004
  9. Tony

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 7, 2004 "Michael" blathered:

    > ImhoTech wrote:
    >
    >> Who gives a shit what you despise. Hmmm...we know that ignorance breeds
    >> hate, this would indicate that you must indicate you are an ignorant
    >> **** incapable of getting ME to run. Any competent tech could. The
    >> relative quality of the OS is a non-issue.
    >>

    > That's the silliest thing I've ever heard. I would killfile you, but i
    > need my daily laughs.
    >
    > Michael

    I thought about kill-filing him too, but you're right, we need someone in
    here to entertain us.

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jul 7, 2004
  10. On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 21:26:02 -0500, TechGeekPro <%username%@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >On Jul 6, 2004 "Tony" blathered:
    >
    >> I was able to re-install Windows ME over the original installation,

    >Why on earth would you want to do that? It's like throwing bad after
    >worse.

    Not always. Sometimes it's a quick and dirty way to save having to
    restore your backups, if you have them. If it's a configuration
    problem it may not have the desired effect, but if it's a corrupted
    file or files it'll usually work fine.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 7, 2004
  11. Tony

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Jul 7, 2004 "Tom MacIntyre" blathered:

    > Not always. Sometimes it's a quick and dirty way to save having to
    > restore your backups, if you have them. If it's a configuration
    > problem it may not have the desired effect, but if it's a corrupted
    > file or files it'll usually work fine.

    If it were anything but Windows Me, I would agree with you.

    --
    TechGeekPro - MCSA, A+, Net+, i-Net+

    TechGeekPro, Jul 8, 2004
  12. Tony

    A Guest

    Hi - My A+ CDROM has the question: How do you solve Kernel32.dll errors:
    Answer: Delete it and re-boot and the system will create a new one. Hope
    that helps - Alan.

    A, Jul 8, 2004
  13. Tony

    Tony Guest

    After getting nowhere with this problem, I backed up all of the customers documents, OE settings
    addresses and folders and restored the computer using his Dell restore cds.

    It works fine now. Thanks for the useful posts (there were one or two in the thread somewhere.

    Tony

    Tony, Jul 9, 2004
  14. On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 18:45:57 -0500, TechGeekPro <%username%@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >On Jul 7, 2004 "Tom MacIntyre" blathered:
    >
    >> Not always. Sometimes it's a quick and dirty way to save having to
    >> restore your backups, if you have them. If it's a configuration
    >> problem it may not have the desired effect, but if it's a corrupted
    >> file or files it'll usually work fine.

    >If it were anything but Windows Me, I would agree with you.

    Well...I am not a fan of ME either. I do like RG (Real Good) though.
    :)

    Seriously, one very big problem with ME is the problem with ghost
    drivers, but that doesn't seem to apply here.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Jul 10, 2004
  15. Tony

    graham Guest

    mhaase-at-springmind.com wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:33:14 -0700 , Tony < >
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Explorer has caused an error in Kernel32.dll. Explorere will now close"

    > I'm betting it's a Spyware thing. Specifically a BHO (Browser help
    > Object).
    >
    > Go to "Tools. Internet Options, Advanced", and uncheck "Enable third
    > party Browser Extensions". Do a restart and see if that stops the
    > error. If so, , run the traditional Ad-aware, Spybot, Hijaak This
    > Combo, plus, Search for somethinbg called "BHO Demon". This will show
    > you specifically what BHO's are loading, and allow you to control
    > them.

    Try installing this.. http://tinyurl.com/357or
    Graham A+

    graham, Aug 9, 2004