Some Usenet Etiquette

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter M, Dec 14, 2008.

  1. Peter  M

    Peter M Guest

    Posted for the Dumb Penguin here

    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html

    Don't post anything but plain text to Usenet, except to groups where other
    formats are explicitly allowed. No HTML, no vCards, no GIFs or other binaries.
    (You can put your material onto the Web and include the URL into your
    posting.) Don't use any program for posting to Usenet before checking the
    settings so that your message won't be sent in a non-text format by it. Plain
    text means it's text only, with line length under 80 (preferably under 72)
    characters; it doesn't mean boring or careless text. Use good writing style.

    Don't quote more than a few lines. If your newsreader includes a copy of the
    original article when you start to write a followup, delete everything except
    a few key lines which are relevant to your comments. And put your text after
    the quoted text. You should include some indication of what you are responding
    to; either quote a key sentence, or explain with your own words what you are
    commenting on. (E.g. "I understood NN's question so that he asked how to
    construct a perpetuum mobile.") For more info, see How do I quote correctly in
    Usenet?

    Don't post just to say hello or to tell that someone is stupid or to say "me
    too". If you violate this and the previous rule in the same posting, you will
    be regarded as a real nuisance. Don't post test messages ("will this come
    thru?") to any group which is not specifically designated as a test group
    (such as news.test). Generally, don't post articles you'll be ashamed of when
    you have grown up. Did you know that there are archiving systems like Google
    Groups which store your postings for years to come? Even "thank you" messages
    (where the only content is to thank for advice you've got) are to be avoided,
    especially in high-traffic groups.
    Peter M, Dec 14, 2008

  2. Peter  M

    oneofus Guest

    oneofus, Dec 14, 2008

  3. Peter  M

    oneofus Guest

    Peter M wrote:
    > Posted for the Dumb Penguin here
    >

    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html
    >

    > Don't post anything but plain text to Usenet, except to groups where other
    > formats are explicitly allowed. No HTML, no vCards, no GIFs or other binaries.
    > (You can put your material onto the Web and include the URL into your
    > posting.) Don't use any program for posting to Usenet before checking the
    > settings so that your message won't be sent in a non-text format by it. Plain
    > text means it's text only, with line length under 80 (preferably under 72)
    > characters; it doesn't mean boring or careless text. Use good writing style.
    >
    > Don't quote more than a few lines. If your newsreader includes a copy of the
    > original article when you start to write a followup, delete everything except
    > a few key lines which are relevant to your comments. And put your text after
    > the quoted text. You should include some indication of what you are responding
    > to; either quote a key sentence, or explain with your own words what you are
    > commenting on. (E.g. "I understood NN's question so that he asked how to
    > construct a perpetuum mobile.") For more info, see How do I quote correctly in
    > Usenet?
    >
    > Don't post just to say hello or to tell that someone is stupid or to say "me
    > too". If you violate this and the previous rule in the same posting, you will
    > be regarded as a real nuisance. Don't post test messages ("will this come
    > thru?") to any group which is not specifically designated as a test group
    > (such as news.test). Generally, don't post articles you'll be ashamed of when
    > you have grown up. Did you know that there are archiving systems like Google
    > Groups which store your postings for years to come? Even "thank you" messages
    > (where the only content is to thank for advice you've got) are to be avoided,
    > especially in high-traffic groups.

    "Don't post just to say hello or to tell that someone is stupid or to
    say "me
    too". If you violate this and the previous rule in the same posting, you
    will
    be regarded as a real nuisance"

    See the problem with the line length ?
    oneofus, Dec 14, 2008
  4. Peter  M

    Malcolm Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:13:32 +1300
    oneofus <> wrote:

    > Peter M wrote:
    > > Posted for the Dumb Penguin here

    <snip>

    > "don't post articles you'll be ashamed of when you have grown up"

    LOL
    That's why she sets her "X-No-Archive:" to yes

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-No-Archive

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE 11.1 x86 Kernel 2.6.27.7-4-default
    Malcolm, Dec 14, 2008
  5. Peter  M

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Dec 14, 2008
  6. Peter  M

    EMB Guest

    Peter M wrote:

    <snip hypocritical drivel>

    PKB
    EMB, Dec 14, 2008
  7. Peter  M

    Matty F Guest

    Re: Some Usenet Etiquette

    On Dec 14, 4:41 pm, Malcolm <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 15:13:32 +1300
    >
    > oneofus <> wrote:
    > > Peter M wrote:
    > > > Posted for the Dumb Penguin here

    > <snip>
    >
    > > "don't post articles you'll be ashamed of when you have grown up"

    > LOL
    > That's why she sets her "X-No-Archive:" to yes
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-No-Archive

    But Google still archives X-No-Archive posts. They are kept for police
    purposes. If you look at Peter M's profile you will see the dates of
    And if someone has a mixture of X-No-Archive and "archived" posts you
    will note that a search takes longer while Google is bypassing the
    posts that it doesn't want to show you.
    Matty F, Dec 14, 2008