    I thought this has something to do with ram...so changed it... but the
    problems still presists...

    So please help me solve this problem.. thanks is advance...
    anishpa, Feb 5, 2005

  2. anishpa

    effi Guest

    if you're running windows 98 it could be a driver (possibly a newer one that
    is incompatible with windows 98) hanging up at shutdown,
    among a million other things

    microsoft has plenty of possibilities for shut down problems, and their
    fixes, on their website

    effi, Feb 5, 2005

  3. anishpa

    John Guest

    On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 06:01:51 -0600, A strange species called "effi"
    <> wrote:

    >if you're running windows 98 it could be a driver (possibly a newer one that
    >is incompatible with windows 98) hanging up at shutdown,
    >among a million other things
    >
    >microsoft has plenty of possibilities for shut down problems, and their
    >fixes, on their website

    There is a common shut down problem on 98 machines that is well
    documented. It can be caused by a sound file on exit and as effi says
    any other number of things.

    http://tinyurl.com/4q4lu

    I'd try searching the Microsoft knowledge base and you can also search
    google groups in alt.computer for previous posts with "shut down
    error" there may be some useful replies also.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;238096

    http://tinyurl.com/4lj72

    http://tinyurl.com/62wtg

    I believe my old computer had this issue and it may have been because
    of the controllers in device manager for the drives? I'm sure it was
    something to do with that because when I fixed that it started
    shutting down properly again. Something about the IRQ Steering. Try
    also looking in device manager if you have any exclamation marks on
    any devices like hard drives and controllers and other devices. It
    may also be a power management issue, you would need to look into this
    as a possibility as well.

    John
    John, Feb 5, 2005
  4. anishpa

    Dog Guest

    Also check to see if you have any spyware, trojans or worms on it.

    Dog, Feb 5, 2005
  5. anishpa

    anishpa Guest

    hi all,
    thanks for so much.....am now going through all those things, checking
    if one of these actually caused the probem... any way thank u all for
    so much help... pa
    anishpa, Feb 6, 2005