Some thoughts on a network / thin client setup

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Matthew, Apr 19, 2005.

  1. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    Hey all

    I have a PIII 450 w/ 368mb of RAM in my lounge that is used for media. I had
    to steal the 80gig out of it, and replace it with a god awful 3gb 5.25"
    bigfoot, that has slowed it down no end.

    It has a 32mb GeForce II in it that outs to the tv for watching movies etc.
    It plays ... just.

    I have a celery 433 sitting here with a spare hard drive...

    My question is: Would it be possible to setup one of them (probably the
    celery) as a thin-client? Just for media really .. I'd like to use linux for
    this, is it a major to setup the server? I have a bootable NIC for it. Has
    anyone tried this or has one working? Is it even possible to browse a
    windows network and play media with that setup?

    Sorry if it's a bit vague but this sort of thing is new (yet intruiging) to
    me :)

    Thoughts and constructive comments / websites please! :)

    Thanks in advance,

    Matthew

    Matthew, Apr 19, 2005

  2. In article <Bj%8e.19903$>, "Matthew" <> wrote:
    *SNIP*
    >I have a celery 433 sitting here with a spare hard drive...
    >
    >My question is: Would it be possible to setup one of them (probably the
    >celery) as a thin-client? Just for media really .. I'd like to use linux for
    >this, is it a major to setup the server? I have a bootable NIC for it. Has
    >anyone tried this or has one working? Is it even possible to browse a
    >windows network and play media with that setup?

    *SNIP*

    You can definitely browse Windows networks and play media, the question
    is if a celery would be up to doing the latter. If it can't do it under
    Windows, don't expect anything better under Linux.
    Setting up the server is pretty easy. Install samba, configure the
    shares you want, and you're good to go.

    You've got two choices. You can use the celery as a server, using the
    P3 as a less-than-thin client. Or you can use the P3 as a server, and
    use X forwarding or similar to run applications on it with the output
    presented to the celery for display. The latter is more complex, but
    probably a better use of resources.
    Do a google for "diskless linux" to find far more about the subject than
    you ever wanted to know.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Apr 19, 2005

  3. Matthew

    thing Guest

    Matthew wrote:
    > Hey all
    >
    > I have a PIII 450 w/ 368mb of RAM in my lounge that is used for media. I had
    > to steal the 80gig out of it, and replace it with a god awful 3gb 5.25"
    > bigfoot, that has slowed it down no end.
    >
    > It has a 32mb GeForce II in it that outs to the tv for watching movies etc.
    > It plays ... just.
    >
    > I have a celery 433 sitting here with a spare hard drive...
    >
    > My question is: Would it be possible to setup one of them (probably the
    > celery) as a thin-client? Just for media really .. I'd like to use linux for
    > this, is it a major to setup the server? I have a bootable NIC for it. Has
    > anyone tried this or has one working? Is it even possible to browse a
    > windows network and play media with that setup?
    >
    > Sorry if it's a bit vague but this sort of thing is new (yet intruiging) to
    > me :)
    >
    > Thoughts and constructive comments / websites please! :)
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Matthew

    The p3-450 is better than the cel 433.

    Since you have a slow hd, yes you could "thin client boot" using it. A
    bootable nic thin client is not that easy. Or use its cdrom drive to
    boot. You will need a linux bootp/dhcp server to run off.

    www.ltsp.org

    thing, Apr 19, 2005
  4. Matthew

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 15:55:23 +1200, Matthew wrote:

    > Hey all
    >
    > I have a PIII 450 w/ 368mb of RAM in my lounge that is used for media. I had
    > to steal the 80gig out of it, and replace it with a god awful 3gb 5.25"
    > bigfoot, that has slowed it down no end.
    >
    > It has a 32mb GeForce II in it that outs to the tv for watching movies etc.
    > It plays ... just.
    >
    > I have a celery 433 sitting here with a spare hard drive...
    >
    > My question is: Would it be possible to setup one of them (probably the
    > celery) as a thin-client? Just for media really .. I'd like to use linux for
    > this, is it a major to setup the server? I have a bootable NIC for it. Has
    > anyone tried this or has one working? Is it even possible to browse a
    > windows network and play media with that setup?
    >
    > Sorry if it's a bit vague but this sort of thing is new (yet intruiging) to
    > me :)
    >
    > Thoughts and constructive comments / websites please! :)
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Matthew

    I have set up a diskless box to pxe boot knoppix from a debian server like
    this
    http://www.babytux.org/articles/howto/how2netknoppix.php

    Or you could just run a cd distro like http://www.dynebolic.org/ or some
    of the others here
    You would be better off running the player locally rather than on the
    server as a real thin client setup.

    shannon, Apr 19, 2005
  5. Matthew

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Matthew wrote:
    > Hey all
    >
    > I have a PIII 450 w/ 368mb of RAM in my lounge that is used for media. I had
    > to steal the 80gig out of it, and replace it with a god awful 3gb 5.25"
    > bigfoot, that has slowed it down no end.
    >
    > It has a 32mb GeForce II in it that outs to the tv for watching movies etc.
    > It plays ... just.
    >
    > I have a celery 433 sitting here with a spare hard drive...
    >
    > My question is: Would it be possible to setup one of them (probably the
    > celery) as a thin-client? Just for media really .. I'd like to use linux for
    > this, is it a major to setup the server? I have a bootable NIC for it. Has
    > anyone tried this or has one working? Is it even possible to browse a
    > windows network and play media with that setup?
    >
    > Sorry if it's a bit vague but this sort of thing is new (yet intruiging) to
    > me :)
    >
    > Thoughts and constructive comments / websites please! :)

    You appear to be describing Knoppmyth - a media oriented client and
    server distribution. Bear in mind that if you aren't doing encoding in
    real time, the hardware requirements can be relaxed quite a lot.
    Although MythTV is TV oriented, it can be used to just play media, music
    included.

    http://www.mysettopbox.tv/knoppmyth.html

    Other media based distributions are available, some will run from a live
    CD, which is an easy way of getting started:

    http://distrowatch.com/geexbox
    http://distrowatch.com/movix
    http://distrowatch.com/dynebolic

    With the amount of ram that you have, you may be able to load the entire
    distro into memory and then run it, which should make it quite fast.
    Live Cds are an excellent introduction to Linux, they make things very easy.

    HTH, cheers

    -=rjh=-, Apr 19, 2005
  6. Matthew

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Matthew wrote:
    > Hey all
    >
    > I have a PIII 450 w/ 368mb of RAM in my lounge that is used for media. I had
    > to steal the 80gig out of it, and replace it with a god awful 3gb 5.25"
    > bigfoot, that has slowed it down no end.
    >
    > It has a 32mb GeForce II in it that outs to the tv for watching movies etc.
    > It plays ... just.
    >
    > I have a celery 433 sitting here with a spare hard drive...
    >
    > My question is: Would it be possible to setup one of them (probably the
    > celery) as a thin-client? Just for media really .. I'd like to use linux for
    > this, is it a major to setup the server? I have a bootable NIC for it. Has
    > anyone tried this or has one working? Is it even possible to browse a
    > windows network and play media with that setup?
    >
    > Sorry if it's a bit vague but this sort of thing is new (yet intruiging) to
    > me :)
    >
    > Thoughts and constructive comments / websites please! :)
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Matthew

    You will most likely have to expererment a lot. Now of audio I Use
    slimserver on a linux box I have run it on a p100 trough to a p200 as a
    pure server solution, for receiving boxes with complete os work fine.
    The Server can keep up streaming up to 4~6 streams. now the compleat os
    boxes can be win9x, win32's, linix but did most of the testing using
    damnsmall linux and knoppix of cd drive. worked well could even play
    vids off a samba share A K6II-500 did the best playback there are some
    video streamers aval for linux to. havent tried that yet. TV out would
    work fine too.

    what I am using now is the playback machine now is the server it is
    streaming to its self and can stream to other machines as well using a
    Slacware distribution as it was easer to optimize. It can even do its
    own ripping, and work with out the network:) ie on its own.

    Robert Cooze, Apr 19, 2005
  7. Matthew wrote:
    > I have a celery 433 sitting here with a spare hard drive...
    > My question is: Would it be possible to setup one of them (probably the
    > celery) as a thin-client? Just for media really .. I'd like to use linux for
    > this, is it a major to setup the server? I have a bootable NIC for it. Has
    > anyone tried this or has one working? Is it even possible to browse a
    > windows network and play media with that setup?

    it's easy if you have some idea on how it all works, which it sounds
    like you kinda do.

    sorry I can't think of any supporting websites, I might put up my work
    documentation of thin client, but I have to pull out all references to
    work before I could do that.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 19, 2005