Some questions about Wireless network connection properties

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Delta, Jul 7, 2008.

  1. Delta

    Delta Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I have recently installed a small wireless home network for my pc,
    printer and laptop. Surprisingly it was easier than I thought to
    install everything and it all works. However, due to my inexperience
    and lack of knowledge I have a few questions about the way windows
    handles wireless networks.

    For info, I have a Topcom SKYR@CER WBR 7121gmr NAS router with built
    in print server and USB ports. I read on the internet that WPA2
    security is best so I set my router's browser page to WPA2-PSK with
    AES encryption and broadcast SSID is disabled. Correct me if I'm wrong
    but I used these settings since from what I have read this seems to be
    the most secure.
    Additionally, in my router's browser page I entered a 21 character
    long pre shared key for logging onto the wireless network.

    Today for some reason or another I could not connect wirelessly and
    here's what I did:
    - my router's SSID was NOT in the list of available networks, not even
    after clicking refresh link. This, I figured, is due to the fact that
    I have broadcast SSID DISABLED which makes my SSID invisible to
    everyone.
    - In "wireless network connection properties" I noticed that under
    "network key" there are 8 dots iso the 21 characters I use to login.
    So I entered here my 21 characters long pre shared key twice to
    confirm and then clicked ok twice to close and save menus.
    - Now apparently I was connected. In the list of available wireless
    networks my SSID was still not visible though. So I clicked refresh
    and there it was, with a note saying I was connected.
    - Now, just to check, I went back to "wireless network connection
    properties" and noticed that the network key box still contained 8
    dots iso 21 which I do not understand. Even more, when I click
    disconnect and confirm with "yes" and then click connect, a window
    popped up giving 2 boxes with each 8 dots. I tested that I can connect
    again just by clicking ok (8 dots in the box) and also by entering my
    21 character long key which I do not understand either. When I enter a
    wrong key however it did not connect as I anticipated.

    Questions:
    - So what explains the 8 dots in the network key box iso the 21
    characters I use to connect?
    - Could it be that if you have broadcast ssid disabled that you need
    to have "connect when this network is in range" enabled? I noticed
    that when I uncheck the box, I am disconnected from the network and
    when I check it on again, I am reconnected. I also noticed that when I
    click the disconnect button in the list of wireless networks, that the
    "connect when this network is in range" box is unchecked automatically
    until I am reconnected.
    - In my router's browser page I also tried the setting WPA2 mixed and
    noticed that this works too. Is mixed better than TKIP or AES? It
    sounds better to me since it uses a mix of 2 different encryption
    methods, correct me if I'm wrong though.

    Thanks all for your help.

    Alex
    Delta, Jul 7, 2008

  2. Delta

    Alex Guest

    On Jul 7, 4:10 pm, Delta <> wrote:
> [...]
    >
    > Questions:
    > - So what explains the 8 dots in the network key box iso the 21
    > characters I use to connect?
    > - Could it be that if you have broadcast ssid disabled that you need
    > to have "connect when this network is in range" enabled? I noticed
    > that when I uncheck the box, I am disconnected from the network and
    > when I check it on again, I am reconnected. I also noticed that when I
    > click the disconnect button in the list of wireless networks, that the
    > "connect when this network is in range" box is unchecked automatically
    > until I am reconnected.
    > - In my router's browser page I also tried the setting WPA2 mixed and
    > noticed that this works too. Is mixed better than TKIP or AES? It
    > sounds better to me since it uses a mix of 2 different encryption
    > methods, correct me if I'm wrong though.

    Thanks all for the help. Took me 1 hour to write this shit!
    Alex, Jul 15, 2008