    they've done the telnet/NFS stuff.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jan 22, 2004

  2. AD.

    Cheetah Guest

    -- AD. wrote:

    > For the improvements to their Services For Unix 3.5, and for releasing it
    > for gratis - we couldn't have afforded to use it much before.
    >
    > I haven't tested it very hard yet, but it seems like it will make
    > maintaining a mixed environment easier. Interix seems to be implemented
    > a little more cleanly than cygwin, and it should be genuinely
    > useful.
    >
    > I hope it keeps improving like it has in the last few versions, it does
    > seem like they have concentrated more on old legacy unix stuff rather than
    > more modern stuff (understandable from their perspective I suppose). I
    > personally would like to see native Windows ssh/scp/sftp similar to how
    > they've done the telnet/NFS stuff.

    Ultimatly MS will have to learn to live in a environment where they need to
    interoperate to survive. You can't be the only vendor on the block that
    doesn't support things like ssh, scp, etc - ie standard ways of
    administration and maintenance.

    The OS is becoming a commodity, so there is little sense in MS trying to
    compete in core technology. What it has shown however is that it can create
    real nice GUI systems. If they created a really nice GUI for Linux I bet
    they would give KDE and Gnome a run for their money.

    They could even charge for it - call it the "Microsoft Linux Desktop". They
    could create the interfaces to let any application run on top of Linux -
    like Wine, only they would have the source to make the API work just like
    running on top of Windows.....

    <shake>

    Wake up..

    <shake!!!>

    Wake Up!!!

    Its just a nightmare!!!

    Cheetah, Jan 23, 2004

  3. AD.

    RecyclerMan Guest

    Cheetah wrote:
    > -- AD. wrote:
    >

    >>For the improvements to their Services For Unix 3.5, and for releasing it
    >>for gratis - we couldn't have afforded to use it much before.

    8><

    > The OS is becoming a commodity, so there is little sense in MS trying to
    > compete in core technology. What it has shown however is that it can create
    > real nice GUI systems. If they created a really nice GUI for Linux I bet
    > they would give KDE and Gnome a run for their money.
    >
    > They could even charge for it - call it the "Microsoft Linux Desktop". They
    > could create the interfaces to let any application run on top of Linux -
    > like Wine, only they would have the source to make the API work just like
    > running on top of Windows.....

    Scary move they could do the same for the Apple Hell if they realy
    wanted domminance then that is what they should would do they could
    build there own window manager on top of NIX or build on top of X11
    either way there is no reason they could not do it I think it is they
    have built a resinubly immuture but there own OS and thsts there core
    Business oh yes and Office the rest is just puffing up ons chest

    RecyclerMan, Jan 23, 2004
  4. AD.

    Gib Bogle Guest

    RecyclerMan wrote:

    > ... I think it is they
    > have built a resinubly immuture but there own OS and thsts there core
    > Business oh yes and Office the rest is just puffing up ons chest

    Congratulations: 6 spelling mistakes in one sentence (if you can call it
    that).

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Jan 23, 2004
  5. AD.

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:09:10 +1300, Gib Bogle
    <> wrote:

    >RecyclerMan wrote:
    >
    >> ... I think it is they
    >> have built a resinubly immuture but there own OS and thsts there core
    >> Business oh yes and Office the rest is just puffing up ons chest

    >Congratulations: 6 spelling mistakes in one sentence (if you can call it
    >that).
    >
    >Gib

    Have you considered RecyclerMan may have literacy problems?
    The group doesn't have a need for spelling and grammar police.
    Remember, the person who invented the written word was illiterate and
    couldn't spell :)

    Bret, Jan 23, 2004
  6. AD.

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:22:13 +1300, harry <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:09:10 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> RecyclerMan wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... I think it is they
    >>> have built a resinubly immuture but there own OS and thsts there core
    >>> Business oh yes and Office the rest is just puffing up ons chest

    >> Congratulations: 6 spelling mistakes in one sentence (if you can call it
    >> that).
    >>
    >> Gib

    >I can understand it.
    >I like Recycler Mans style.
    >His content is always interesting.
    >And its never malicious.
    >So don't take any notice of this, Robert.

    I'll second that.

    Bret, Jan 23, 2004
  7. AD.

    harry Guest

    harry, Jan 23, 2004
  8. AD.

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:09:10 +1300, Gib Bogle
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>RecyclerMan wrote:
    >>

    >>>... I think it is they
    >>>have built a resinubly immuture but there own OS and thsts there core
    >>>Business oh yes and Office the rest is just puffing up ons chest

    >>Congratulations: 6 spelling mistakes in one sentence (if you can call it
    >>that).
    >>
    >>Gib

    > Have you considered RecyclerMan may have literacy problems?

    Heh. What makes you think that?

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Jan 24, 2004
  9. AD.

    harry Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 13:57:22 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Bret wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:09:10 +1300, Gib Bogle
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Congratulations: 6 spelling mistakes in one sentence (if you can call it
    >>>that).
    >>>
    >>>Gib

    >> Have you considered RecyclerMan may have literacy problems?

    > Heh. What makes you think that?
    >
    > Gib

    Its time to send Gilbert to Tolerance Camp.

    harry, Jan 24, 2004
  10. AD.

    RecyclerMan Guest

    harry wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:09:10 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >

    >>RecyclerMan wrote:
    >>

    >>>... I think it is they
    >>>have built a resinubly immuture but there own OS and thsts there core
    >>>Business oh yes and Office the rest is just puffing up ons chest

    >>Congratulations: 6 spelling mistakes in one sentence (if you can call it
    >>that).
    >>
    >>Gib

    > I can understand it.
    > I like Recycler Mans style.
    > His content is always interesting.
    > And its never malicious.
    > So don't take any notice of this, Robert.

    Cool Always had a Spelling Problem :) The problem was at age 10 I was
    reading the likes of the Clockwork Orrange and loving it and the teachrs
    thought needed redimal Reading, The Problem is as far as I can see Is I
    think Way too quick for my hands to put in to action (wrtitten word)

    and to make others happy sorry about the off topic.

    The cat sat.

    I am.

    See Dick run.

    See Jane run.

    Why are they behind the bushes?

    RecyclerMan, Jan 24, 2004
  11. In article <buucqn$kum7a$-berlin.de>,
    RecyclerMan <> wrote:

    >The cat sat.
    >
    >I am.
    >
    >See Dick run.