some pages too large

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mike, Jan 11, 2005.

  1. mike

    mike Guest

    hi,

    i have Win98 with a 17" monitor. it is set at 800x600. i hope i'm using the
    right lexicon to describe the problem.

    anyway, some "pages" fit on the screen perfectly. others are too large and
    don't fit completely. in most cases it's very close but still the content is
    "chopped off" at the end.

    when this occurs a "bar" appears at the bottom of the screen that i can put
    the cursor on which enables me to "slide" the page back and forth
    horizontally so i can see what is off the screen.

    is there any remedy for this? in other words is there a way to make pages
    fit that are a bit too large?

    i hope you can picture what i (tried) to describe.

    thank you,

    mike

    mike, Jan 11, 2005

  2. mike

    SgtMinor Guest

    mike wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > i have Win98 with a 17" monitor. it is set at 800x600. i hope i'm using the
    > right lexicon to describe the problem.
    >
    > anyway, some "pages" fit on the screen perfectly. others are too large and
    > don't fit completely. in most cases it's very close but still the content is
    > "chopped off" at the end.
    >
    > when this occurs a "bar" appears at the bottom of the screen that i can put
    > the cursor on which enables me to "slide" the page back and forth
    > horizontally so i can see what is off the screen.
    >
    > is there any remedy for this? in other words is there a way to make pages
    > fit that are a bit too large?
    >
    > i hope you can picture what i (tried) to describe.
    >
    > thank you,
    >
    > mike

    If you set your video for a higher resolution those pages may fit.

    http://www.learnthenet.com/english/html/06settng.htm

    SgtMinor, Jan 11, 2005

  3. mike

    Richard Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:05:54 GMT mike wrote:

    > hi,

    > i have Win98 with a 17" monitor. it is set at 800x600. i hope i'm using
    > the
    > right lexicon to describe the problem.

    > anyway, some "pages" fit on the screen perfectly. others are too large
    > and
    > don't fit completely. in most cases it's very close but still the
    > content is
    > "chopped off" at the end.

    > when this occurs a "bar" appears at the bottom of the screen that i can
    > put
    > the cursor on which enables me to "slide" the page back and forth
    > horizontally so i can see what is off the screen.

    > is there any remedy for this? in other words is there a way to make
    > pages
    > fit that are a bit too large?

    > i hope you can picture what i (tried) to describe.

    > thank you,

    > mike

    Yep. Thats probably due to the fact the website is set to show at 1024x768
    which is more common than 800x600.
    The horizontal scroll bar is an automatic function of the browser.
    You might try using smaller text (in the browser) and see if that helps any.

    Richard, Jan 11, 2005
  4. mike

    Baalrog Guest

    Baalrog, Jan 11, 2005
  5. mike

    mike Guest

    hi,

    i have a scroll mouse and pure text pages seem to be okay.

    the example that best describes the situation is when i go to a certain
    investment site there are some interactive spots on the far right (enter
    stock symbol) etc. but the "go" or "search" buttons are just off the page.
    it's very close but i end up having to use that horizontal bar with my
    cursor to slide the whole page over so i can click what i need to.

    i took the pixel setting up one stage higher than the 800x600 (i forget
    what it is) and i can see whole pages no problem...

    but now videos flicker like crazy.

    getting a little frustrated,

    mike

    mike, Jan 11, 2005
  6. mike

    SgtMinor Guest

    mike wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > i have a scroll mouse and pure text pages seem to be okay.
    >
    > the example that best describes the situation is when i go to a certain
    > investment site there are some interactive spots on the far right (enter
    > stock symbol) etc. but the "go" or "search" buttons are just off the page.
    > it's very close but i end up having to use that horizontal bar with my
    > cursor to slide the whole page over so i can click what i need to.
    >
    > i took the pixel setting up one stage higher than the 800x600 (i forget
    > what it is) and i can see whole pages no problem...
    >
    > but now videos flicker like crazy.
    >
    > getting a little frustrated,
    >
    > mike

    Do you know what kind of video card you have, or if video is built into
    the motherboard? If you're not sure about your system's components,
    install and run Everest Home Edition which will give you quite a bit of
    info. Free, from
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

    Also, what's the name and model number of your monitor? The flicker is
    the result of the refresh rate not being set high enough. Most people
    can live with something around 60 Hz but generally, the higher, the
    better. There's often a trade off where higher resolutions mean fewer
    Hz. Most monitors should be able to do 1024 X 768 @ 6o Hz.

    SgtMinor, Jan 12, 2005
  7. mike

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "mike" <> wrote in message
    | hi,
    |
    | i have a scroll mouse and pure text pages seem to be okay.
    |
    | the example that best describes the situation is when i go to a certain
    | investment site there are some interactive spots on the far right (enter
    | stock symbol) etc. but the "go" or "search" buttons are just off the page.
    | it's very close but i end up having to use that horizontal bar with my
    | cursor to slide the whole page over so i can click what i need to.
    |
    | i took the pixel setting up one stage higher than the 800x600 (i forget
    | what it is) and i can see whole pages no problem...
    |
    | but now videos flicker like crazy.

    <snipped>

    Okay, Mike, the flicker would usually be related to the monitor refresh
    rate. It is possible with most video cards to select a higher refresh rate.
    So go back where you found the resolution (display properties, settings) and
    click on Advanced. In the Adapter tab there may be an option to change the
    refresh rate - that is often set at "adapter default" or "optimized" or
    "60Hz". 60Hz will always work - if you have more options, try it one
    higher - 70Hz, or whatever is there. Then click Apply. If that works, try it
    one higher again. Keep going until you get to the highest refresh your
    monitor will run.

    One side note: be sure you have the correct monitor selected first - click
    on the monitor tab and check. If the system only thinks it has a 'generic'
    monitor, it won't know what refresh rates your monitor is capable of.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 12, 2005