Some pages drop my wireless connection and general problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by callieandmark@yahoo.co.uk, Feb 13, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Ive just brought a Belking Wireless router/modem and am having
    issues !
    I have my XP laptop and an XP desktop PC connected both using Auto
    Config IP.
    The laptop on the whole seems ok although I can't access some webpages
    at all although I can if i revert back to plugging in my old modem !

    The desktop pc works for a few mins and then drops off and after some
    fiddling i can get it back on but it comes back with an auto
    configured IP address. On this machine, when I can get access certain
    webpages guarentee to crash the connection even though these pages are
    ok on the laptop and before you ask they are noit any kind of dubious
    pages (for example http://www.greengardener.co.uk/)

    I have tried using the Windows connection manager and the supplied
    Belkin one but both give the same problems.

    Any help or advice would be greatly appretiated,

    Thanks

    , Feb 13, 2007

  2. Guest

    On 13-Feb-2007, wrote:

    > Any help or advice would be greatly appretiated,

    When problems like this occur, it's worth trying
    static IP addresses for the gateway (your route
    to the outside world), and for the DNS (Domain
    Name Server - which is how URL's get converted
    to what the switches and routers understand).
    Both are usually expressed as dotted quads and
    in many cases that of your router.
    Windows Zero Config WZC can be known to
    get it wrong, which is when problems start to
    occur.

    , Feb 13, 2007

  3. Guest

    Unfortunately I cannot set a static IP for the DNS or Gateway as these
    are defined by my ISP. ANy other ideas ?

    , Feb 14, 2007
  4. Hi
    Did you try to connect the computer to the Router through wire (instead of
    Wireless) to rule out Wireless stability problems?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 14, 2007
  5. Guest

    Ive tried to connect by using the wire and i still get problems
    accessing some pages. Again i think it must be something on the router
    side of things as i can access anything using my old modem. Included
    in pages i cant access is www.microsoft.com.
    Strange huh ?

    , Feb 19, 2007