Some one please help to find MACs versus Ports on Catalyst swicths

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by mtsint@yahoo.com, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello Gurus
    I have no practical knowledge on Cisco stuff excpet for few commands
    Here is the situation
    I have 2000 plus machines connected to various catalyst switches.
    All these swithces are uplinked to our building router
    Building route is uplink to campus router and then goes to internet or
    where ever.
    In all this, I have minimum access right to those swicthes to whom my
    machiens are connected, I even don't know where the building router is

    Also we have 8 VLANs spread accross my switcehs

    Soo, I was wondering what commands I need to find out which MAC adress
    is connected to what port on the switch

    I have been searching for this ofr over 3 months but nothing solid
    answer
    For example SH CAM DYN, returns me some bunch of address on 3/33, and
    when I look at port 3/33, it is a uplink, off course I can understand
    what does that mean
    Some one suggesting Sh Mac-address-table, BUT that command is not valid
    on my switches

    Hope fully you gurus can undertand my question and let me how do I find
    the solution
    10x a lot for your considerations
    , Jan 11, 2007

  2. www.BradReese.Com, Jan 11, 2007

  3. garrisb Guest

    If I'm reading your post correctly, you are doing the correct command.
    The Uplink will always show ALL macs within that respective switch it's
    connected to. So what you'll have to do is:

    VLAN Dest MAC/Route Des [CoS] Destination Ports or VCs / [Protocol
    Type]
    50 00-0c-6c-59-6c-3d 5/3 [ALL]

    run the sh cam dyn <vlan> (replace the <> with the vlan number>
    command...
    - you will get the MACs on a per vlan mod/port basis.
    - as you see above it tells you the port, vlan and mac address
    associated with that port.

    For ports that show multiple macs (uplinks):
    you will have to use the "sh cdp nei detail" command.
    - Find the switch associated with the uplink port
    - Telnet to that switch and run the same commands.

    If you are using switches with the newer os (router like OS) you will
    run the "sh mac-address-table" or "sh mac-address-table <vlan>"
    you can also use the "|" (pipe) command with "incl, excl, begin"
    expressions to narrow down exactly what you're looking for.

    ie.... sh mac-address-table | include <put qualifying data here>

    Hopefully this helps....
    Good luck

    garrisb, Jan 11, 2007