Some newbie tutoring needed:-)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jimmy Phillips, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. I have ripped a DVD using DVD::RIP which brought over two folders...
    An empty TS_AUDIO and a TS_VIDEO which is full of the usual VOB files and
    stuff. Also tried it with DVDShrink which got the same folders.

    I got a new Sony dual layer burner (found it at WalMart for 60 bucks) and
    it came with Nero Video Suite 6. Nowhere in the suite is any way that I
    can find to burn a DVD from VOB files. A customer who dabbles in video
    stuff says that this is a sop to Hollywood to keep people from doing just
    what I am trying to do.

    So, I go to data mode and drop both folders onto the burner like I was
    backing up data. So I have TS_Audio and TS_Video in the root of the DVD.
    I got a message from Nero saying that I was about to build a DVD which
    would not play in a standalone player.

    They were right, almost.

    In a Sony and a JVC player I get a "No Disk" message. Dinking around I
    suddenly found that inserting the disk into a DVD player in a PC brought
    up a media player and the movie started off.

    Then, I discovered that if it is put into my Phillps DVP642 player (which
    is macrovision free, although what that has to do with this problem I
    don't know), it starts and plays normally.

    Wot the heck? What is missing from the DVD disk that prevents it from
    "Booting" on the average player but doesn't stop it from playing on my
    Phillips player or a PC?

    Thanks all
    JP

    Jimmy Phillips, Nov 19, 2004

  2. On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:49:03 +1100, Mickey Mouse wrote:

    > Your post is a littleconfusing however, Rip your DVD with Dvdshrink (I use
    > version 3.2) DVDshrink will analyse it. It will then ask for a destination
    > (file or recorder) select an tmp\empty directory on your harddrive and
    > then select your burner from the drop down memu. All to do now is select
    > backup. It will now decode and burn it to your drive with nero. Mickey

    Heck, my post is confusing to ME! I did use DVDShrink with Nero and it
    made perfect backups. However, I am trying to find out how to make a
    playable disk (or what it takes to make a playable disk) if all I have is
    the two folders from some non-copyrighted source.

    I look at the folders and files that DVDShrink ripped from the DVD and put
    them back on another DVD in what appears to be a mirror image but the
    new disk is not playable on two players (new, by the way). Those players
    will use the same media just fine if I do it the automatic way with Shrink
    and Nero so it isn't the old CD problem of wrong colored blanks.

    JP

    Jimmy Phillips, Nov 20, 2004

  3. Jimmy Phillips

    Biz Guest

    "Jimmy Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > I have ripped a DVD using DVD::RIP which brought over two folders...
    > An empty TS_AUDIO and a TS_VIDEO which is full of the usual VOB files and
    > stuff. Also tried it with DVDShrink which got the same folders.
    >
    > I got a new Sony dual layer burner (found it at WalMart for 60 bucks) and
    > it came with Nero Video Suite 6. Nowhere in the suite is any way that I
    > can find to burn a DVD from VOB files. A customer who dabbles in video
    > stuff says that this is a sop to Hollywood to keep people from doing just
    > what I am trying to do.
    >
    > So, I go to data mode and drop both folders onto the burner like I was
    > backing up data. So I have TS_Audio and TS_Video in the root of the DVD.
    > I got a message from Nero saying that I was about to build a DVD which
    > would not play in a standalone player.
    >
    > They were right, almost.
    >
    > In a Sony and a JVC player I get a "No Disk" message. Dinking around I
    > suddenly found that inserting the disk into a DVD player in a PC brought
    > up a media player and the movie started off.
    >
    > Then, I discovered that if it is put into my Phillps DVP642 player (which
    > is macrovision free, although what that has to do with this problem I
    > don't know), it starts and plays normally.
    >
    > Wot the heck? What is missing from the DVD disk that prevents it from
    > "Booting" on the average player but doesn't stop it from playing on my
    > Phillips player or a PC?
    >
    > Thanks all
    > JP

    Folders should be VIDEO_TS, and AUDIO_TS, all caps.

    Make sure you have Nero setup to burn the right book type for this data
    project, and also make sure you finalize the disc. Experiment on a few RW's
    first until you have it down. ANd make sure your standalone player supports
    the recordable media you are using.

    Biz, Nov 20, 2004
  4. Jimmy Phillips

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    Mickey Mouse, Nov 20, 2004
  5. Jimmy Phillips

    Mickey Mouse Guest

    It works when you do it the automatic way: So why not do it that way? Are
    you wanting to Re author or something.
    DVDshrink will analyze, decode, shrink and burn another disk for you. Why
    do you not want to do it automatically if that works for you? That's the
    confusing bit, are you leaving something out %**&^%?
    Sound like you might want to re-author. I'm not a smarty sorry if I come
    across that way.
    Your turn Jimmy

    Mickey Mouse, Nov 20, 2004