Some newbie queries

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by wonna, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. wonna

    wonna Guest

    Hope someone can answer these:

    1. Are there any VoIP, packet voice related forums that I could
    subscribe to? I am a newbie at VoIP, though I have some
    telecom experience.

    2. I have a question on the implementation of protocol message
    parsing for a protocol like, say, Q.931:
    How are Q.931 messages from the network parsed? Some sort of
    state machine, obviously, but how does one specify the
    mandatory IEs, the message format etc as part of the parser?

    Are there any books/online resources that deal with such
    protocol design and implementation issues?

    3. I have some experience in telecom, and would like to know more
    about VoIP. Which book can I refer to? I am not looking for a
    "VoIP for Dummies" kind of a book. I know a great deal of telecom
    fundamentals, including a fair bit of Q.931. I want to learn
    about VoIP architecture, implementation, technologies and
    engineering issues.

    Also, if there are downloadable resources on this subject on the
    Internet, please point me to them.

    Thx,
    Sicher

    wonna, Apr 1, 2004

  2. "wonna" <> wrote in message
    > Hope someone can answer these:
    >
    > 1. Are there any VoIP, packet voice related forums that I could
    > subscribe to? I am a newbie at VoIP, though I have some
    > telecom experience.

    Try news:comp.dcom.voice-over-ip, but it's not very active.

    > 2. I have a question on the implementation of protocol message
    > parsing for a protocol like, say, Q.931:
    > How are Q.931 messages from the network parsed? Some sort of
    > state machine, obviously, but how does one specify the
    > mandatory IEs, the message format etc as part of the parser?

    ASN.1 was invented to solve precisely this problem, but Q.931 was written
    before ASN.1 existed and there is no precise definition of the parsing of
    Q.931 that I am aware of. You have to read through Q.931 very carefully and
    craft code that implements the (sometimes ambiguous) requirements. Or else
    buy a commercial stack.

    Try www.voip-info.org

    --
    Phil McKerracher
    www.mckerracher.org

    Phil McKerracher, Apr 5, 2004

  3. (wonna) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hope someone can answer these:
    >

    > 2. I have a question on the implementation of protocol message
    > parsing for a protocol like, say, Q.931:
    > How are Q.931 messages from the network parsed? Some sort of
    > state machine, obviously, but how does one specify the
    > mandatory IEs, the message format etc as part of the parser?
    >
    > Are there any books/online resources that deal with such
    > protocol design and implementation issues?

    The Encoding Control Notation (ECN) associated with ASN.1 allows to
    formally specify legacy encodings. When an ECN specification is given
    to an ECN compiler, the tools output encoding/decoding functions that
    are capable of parsing messages.

    More information about ECN at:
    http://asn1.elibel.tm.fr/ecn/

    OSS Nokalva (http://www.oss.com) might give you more information about