Some MagicJack disappointments

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Kulin Remailer, Oct 7, 2009.

  1. Some MagicJack disappointments (September 2009):

    1. Only 1 phone number per MagicJack.
    Most VOIP providers allow you to sign up for multiple phone numbers
    (e.g. different area codes) to ring on your phone.
    (Allows local calling for your distant friends)
    And only 1 MagicJack can be connected to a computer at any one time.

    2. Must dial local area code to call local numbers.

    3. Can't turn off voicemail to use your local answering machine.

    4. Can't change time[zone] (uses Eastern Time Zone?) in voicemail
    timestamp.

    5. No name on Caller ID, only number.

    6. Can't get fax to work (some people claim to have succeeded).

    7. No tech/customer support via voice, only online chat.

    8. Must add money to MagicJack account to call foreign countries (free
    only to/from USA & Canada).
    "Remaining balances of international minutes will not be refunded."
    Other VOIP providers bill you AFTER usage.

    9. No detailed history of call logs beyond the last few calls.

    10. Can't block outgoing caller ID.

    11. Can't activate/deactive features like call-forwarding from the
    phone; must use their website.

    12. No advanced phone features like Call Return, Redial last number
    (from phone, not computer), busy call forwarding, etc.

    13. $10 to change your phone number, after the 1st free change.

    14. Can't port your existing phone number to MagicJack yet.

    15. Computer has to be turned on for MagicJack to make/receive calls.

    16. Can't call (900) and (976) numbers.

    17. Some ads in their mandatory SoftPhone application -
    "Our computers may analyze the phone numbers you call and your
    registration information in order to improve the relevance of the ads.
    ... and you will not be able to opt out of receiving them."

    But at $19.95 per year, it is more than 10x cheaper that the average
    VOIP provider :)
    Kulin Remailer, Oct 7, 2009

  2. Kulin Remailer <> wrote:

    >Some MagicJack disappointments (September 2009):

    IMO reasonable limitations snipped.

    >9. No detailed history of call logs beyond the last few calls.

    Well, for $20 / year.

    >But at $19.95 per year, it is more than 10x cheaper that the average
    >VOIP provider :)

    Yup, there's that.

    Tony

    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Tony Toews [MVP], Oct 7, 2009

  3. Kulin Remailer <> wrote:

    >Some MagicJack disappointments (September 2009):

    Thanks for posting your comments.

    How is the call quality? Delays and such?

    How does the voice mail via email feature work? That is if you're not connected or
    not available when the phone rings do you get an email with the voice mail attached?

    Tony
    --
    Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
    Tony Toews [MVP], Oct 7, 2009