    1. Advertising

  1. Frank Williams

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Jan 8, 2014

  2. Frank Williams

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2014-01-07, Tony <lizandtony> wrote:
    >> Frank Williams <> wrote:
    >>> https://www.eff.org/cases/lexmark-v-static-control-case-archive
    >>>
    >>> https://www.eff.org/cases/acra-v-lexmark

    >> Yawn - I can find similar cases against Epson and other
    >> manufacturers so why do you single out just one?
    >> You cherry-pick your data as usual.

    > Well cherries are seasonal, so what about the rest of the year.
    >
    > Gentle reader, Woger/Frank Williams is best read only. Okay?

    Or not even that, as has been my choice in the last decade or so (after
    reading him for a few years previously).
    --
    </Shaun>

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

    ~misfit~, Jan 9, 2014
  3. Frank Williams

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tony wrote:
> [...]
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:

    >>> Well cherries are seasonal, so what about the rest of the year.
    >>>
    >>> Gentle reader, Woger/Frank Williams is best read only. Okay?

    >> Or not even that, as has been my choice in the last decade or so
    >> (after reading him for a few years previously).
    >> --
    >> </Shaun>
    >>
    >> "Humans will have advanced a long, long, way when religious belief
    >> has a cozy little classification in the DSM."
    >> David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

    > Shaun and Gordon
    > I completely understand your points of view on this issue but let me
    > try to explain the problem I have.
    > Someone asked a completely reasonable question and got some helpful
    > replies and suddenly an ignorant, rude and barely literate individual
    > butts in and provides entirely false information, based on bias and
    > no real skill. The question was asked in a usenet group that is
    > mainly used by non Kiwis. It used to be very busy but is not so
    > nowadays and part of the reason for that is people who are
    > mischievous and get some sort of kick out of being rude or
    > deliberately mislead. I have spent many years assisting people in
    > usergroups and elsewhere with respect to mainly printers, something I
    > am considered to be knowledgeable about. For many years I was a
    > contributor to the printer news groups and was for 3 years a
    > Microsoft MVP in that specialty.
    > I get (you may believe unreasonably so) a little upset when stupid
    > people either deliberately or through some sort of grossly inflated
    > opinion of themselves mislead others that are looking for good advice.
    > At a personal level you and I can ignore such posts but I am mindful
    > of the people who might take terrible advice seriously and I (yes it
    > might be a weakness) find it hard to stand by and let people be
    > misled.
    > You both post sensible and intelligent information and questions and
    > I hope that I do too, others will need to judge that.
    > So yes I could ignore such posts but I am concerned with the
    > potential results of deliberately bad advice on those with limited
    > knowledge but who are trying to find answers.
    > This is not an atempt to show off because that gives me no pleasure
    > but I do know printers of almost all types and many manufacturers and
    > have made a living from that as well as having worked on IBM and
    > other mainframes for a good part of my career.
    > As an aside, I completely understand why many people post anonymously
    > on Usenet and I have no issue with that - except when they become
    > personally abusive as some do - I consider that to be cowardly. I
    > have always posted with one of several real e-mail addresses and it
    > has never caused a problem provided the address is presented in a way
    > that is not easy to 'farm'.
    > Anyway that is my view for what it is worth (no doubt some will think
    > it is worthless but that is their problem not mine, they don't have

    Tony; You are entirely correct, I understand completely having been in that
    boat myself.

    However I've also beaten my head against a few brick walls on usenet so have
    learned to pick what I do and don't read or reply to. In this case, with the
    x-posted group/s and disinformation you did the right thing. You're a better
    man than I am these days. ;)

    Best regards,

    ~misfit~, Jan 10, 2014
  4. Frank Williams

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Tony wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    > <SNIP>
    >> Tony; You are entirely correct, I understand completely having been
    >> in that boat myself.
    >>
    >> However I've also beaten my head against a few brick walls on usenet
    >> so have learned to pick what I do and don't read or reply to. In
    >> this case, with the x-posted group/s and disinformation you did the
    >> right thing. You're a better man than I am these days. ;)
    >>
    >> Best regards,

    > Thanks Shaun I know exactly what you mean about the head banging and
    > sometimes you have to stop generating the self imposed pain.;)

    Yeah. Personally a wee while back I came to a point in my life where it was
    essential to minimise my exposure to negativity and frustration for the sake
    of what's left of my mental well-being. ;)

    > I know that the people that misinform deliberately have something
    > seriously wrong with their mental makeup.

    Yeah, those sort of people are one of my very few hates. People who take
    pleasure in others misfortune and like to compound it should be ostracised.
    Or euthanised.

    > What constantly surprises me is how many people assume that what is
    > written in Usenet and other internet resources is accurate, some sort
    > of blind faith.

    Yeah, it's a bit sad actually. I've encountered that phenomena quite a few
    times.

    > Research can start on Usenet or with Google but needs
    > to be completed elsewhere with care.

    Very true.

    > Take care.

    You too Tony. :)