Some kind of virus??

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by BodoDin, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. BodoDin

    BodoDin Guest

    First of all, I'm running windows xp pro, I've been using the computer
    for quite awhile and havn't had any problems. Recently, I've had a
    problem with some kind of "virus." When I start windows, I can get
    to the welcome/logon screen, and can log in, but when explorer goes
    to load, it doesn't! Going to task manager, it shows explorer.exe
    running, but the desktop is there but no icons, menu tray, or any of
    the windows commands work. I can "end task" explorer.exe and then
    "run new task" it, and everything works fine. But, when I'm using
    the computer, a random pop-up comes up entitled "Project1" and it has
    a little message saying "it's time." I've run the lastest version of
    ad-aware and spybot-sd1.2, full system scan with norton anti-virus
    2003 pro all updated, and picked up some things, but it hasn't solved
    this problem. I've looked on the net for info but I can't really
    find anything on it. Maybe if I do a windows repair?? I'm kinda
    clueless at this point and would appreciate anyones help. I've found
    a forum with someone describing something about this kind of problem,
    but it doesn't really fix anything.
    http://www.mcse.ms/message113808.html
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    -Andy :?
    ==============

    BodoDin, Dec 6, 2003

  2. BodoDin

    R.A.D. Guest

    http://securityresponse.symantec.co....is.infected.with.a.virus.worm.or.trojan.html

    R.A.D., Dec 7, 2003

  3. BodoDin

    hootnholler Guest

    I'm not sure if this ties in or not, but it sounds like some sort of visual
    basic file is trying to startup on system start (project 1). Have you been
    doing some vb work lately?

    hootnholler, Dec 7, 2003
  4. BodoDin

    MF Guest

    I checked the forum you referenced, and it seems to have the answer.
    When windows runs, search for those files mentioned in the forum and
    delete them.
    if they won't delete from windows, write down their locations (the
    directories they're in) then clik start, then run, then type cmd and
    hit enter. in the command prompt window, navigate to the directories
    those files are in and then type "del filename" without the quotes
    where filename is the complete name of the file you want to delete.

    Now, go to your windows directory and check all the user folders,
    documents and settings, start menu, programs, startup and look for
    anything with the names of the nasty files. delete them.

    now run regedit. in the edit menu click find or search and search for
    "run" without the quotes. when it finds the entries for run, look in
    the value column and if you see references to the files in question,
    delete them. If you are nervous about deleting things in the registry,
    back it up first. Also, you can simply rename the file references
    rather than deleting them.

    That done, run the search again, this time looking for any references
    to each of the file names. If you find any, do as above. and of
    course, more research on the net.

    good luck
    Mike

    MF, Dec 7, 2003