Some interesting things in cmd.exe

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rupert, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Rupert

    Rupert Guest

    Folks,
    It's probably well known, but I've only just discovered it - when you have a
    command window open ( Start->Run, cmd ) you can do the following for the
    function keys...
    Rupe's

    F1 retypes the previous command one character at a time
    F2 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter the char to copy up to:"
    F3 retypes the last command in full
    F4 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter char to delete up to:"
    F5 as for F3
    F7 brings up a dialog of all the recent commands
    F8 brings up each of the most recent commands, one at a time
    F9 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter command number:"
     
    Rupert, Jul 19, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rupert

    Collector Guest

    Rupert said the following on 19/07/2004 13:05:
    > Folks,
    > It's probably well known, but I've only just discovered it - when you have a
    > command window open ( Start->Run, cmd ) you can do the following for the
    > function keys...
    > Rupe's
    >
    > F1 retypes the previous command one character at a time
    > F2 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter the char to copy up to:"
    > F3 retypes the last command in full
    > F4 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter char to delete up to:"
    > F5 as for F3
    > F7 brings up a dialog of all the recent commands
    > F8 brings up each of the most recent commands, one at a time
    > F9 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter command number:"
    >

    Basic old DOS function keys, been around for years and very handy for
    those of us that remember them
     
    Collector, Jul 19, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. & up arrow cycles through recent commands

    "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    news:cdf6nv$3ct$...
    > Folks,
    > It's probably well known, but I've only just discovered it - when you have

    a
    > command window open ( Start->Run, cmd ) you can do the following for the
    > function keys...
    > Rupe's
    >
    > F1 retypes the previous command one character at a time
    > F2 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter the char to copy up to:"
    > F3 retypes the last command in full
    > F4 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter char to delete up to:"
    > F5 as for F3
    > F7 brings up a dialog of all the recent commands
    > F8 brings up each of the most recent commands, one at a time
    > F9 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter command number:"
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
     
    Neal Phillips, Jul 19, 2004
    #3
  4. "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    news:cdf6nv$3ct$...
    > Folks,

    <snip>

    Its handy alright... I must say tho, it took me sometime before I realised
    that cmd.exe had all the old dos shortcut command, and command.exe doesnt.
    Its habit from Windows 9x days that I type command instead of cmd.

    Matt
     
    Matthew Strickland, Jul 19, 2004
    #4
  5. Rupert wrote:
    > Folks,
    > It's probably well known, but I've only just discovered it - when you have a
    > command window open ( Start->Run, cmd ) you can do the following for the
    > function keys...
    > Rupe's
    >
    > F1 retypes the previous command one character at a time
    > F2 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter the char to copy up to:"
    > F3 retypes the last command in full
    > F4 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter char to delete up to:"
    > F5 as for F3
    > F7 brings up a dialog of all the recent commands
    > F8 brings up each of the most recent commands, one at a time
    > F9 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter command number:"



    adding tab completion to file names and folders makes it a lot easier to
    use too :)
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 19, 2004
    #5
  6. Rupert

    Tim Guest

    Anyone know how to cut and paste effectively without going through the
    menus?

    Did you know you can drag a path from explorer to the command window and it
    will paste it?

    EG open my computer, C, program files, SomeDirectory

    Drag SomeDirectory to the command window...

    - Tim



    "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    news:cdf6nv$3ct$...
    > Folks,
    > It's probably well known, but I've only just discovered it - when you have
    > a command window open ( Start->Run, cmd ) you can do the following for the
    > function keys...
    > Rupe's
    >
    > F1 retypes the previous command one character at a time
    > F2 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter the char to copy up to:"
    > F3 retypes the last command in full
    > F4 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter char to delete up to:"
    > F5 as for F3
    > F7 brings up a dialog of all the recent commands
    > F8 brings up each of the most recent commands, one at a time
    > F9 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter command number:"
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
     
    Tim, Jul 19, 2004
    #6
  7. Tim wrote:
    > Anyone know how to cut and paste effectively without going through the
    > menus?


    turn on quick edit?
    alt-space, properties, and have a look around.

    > Did you know you can drag a path from explorer to the command window and it
    > will paste it?
    > EG open my computer, C, program files, SomeDirectory
    > Drag SomeDirectory to the command window...


    nope, didnt know that.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 19, 2004
    #7
  8. Rupert

    Warwick Guest

    "Neal Phillips" <> wrote in message
    news:rqFKc.1970$...
    > & up arrow cycles through recent commands

    I can't get that to work. Even if I type in the old style DOSKEY command.
    (which used to turn it on in win98)
     
    Warwick, Jul 19, 2004
    #8
  9. Warwick wrote:

    > "Neal Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > news:rqFKc.1970$...
    >
    >>& up arrow cycles through recent commands

    >
    > I can't get that to work. Even if I type in the old style DOSKEY command.
    > (which used to turn it on in win98)


    I assume your trying this after doing a command, and then hitting
    up/down(it only works for that session)
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 19, 2004
    #9
  10. Rupert

    Rupert Guest

    you should be able to click and drag on the folder icon next to the path and
    it will then copy to the command window...

    "Tim" <> wrote in message news:cdfjeg$bbl$...
    > Anyone know how to cut and paste effectively without going through the
    > menus?
    >
    > Did you know you can drag a path from explorer to the command window and
    > it will paste it?
    >
    > EG open my computer, C, program files, SomeDirectory
    >
    > Drag SomeDirectory to the command window...
    >
    > - Tim
    >
    >
    >
    > "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    > news:cdf6nv$3ct$...
    >> Folks,
    >> It's probably well known, but I've only just discovered it - when you
    >> have a command window open ( Start->Run, cmd ) you can do the following
    >> for the function keys...
    >> Rupe's
    >>
    >> F1 retypes the previous command one character at a time
    >> F2 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter the char to copy up to:"
    >> F3 retypes the last command in full
    >> F4 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter char to delete up to:"
    >> F5 as for F3
    >> F7 brings up a dialog of all the recent commands
    >> F8 brings up each of the most recent commands, one at a time
    >> F9 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter command number:"
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
     
    Rupert, Jul 19, 2004
    #10
  11. Rupert

    Mike_P Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message news:cdfjeg$bbl$...
    >
    > Did you know you can drag a path from explorer to the command window and
    > it will paste it?
    >
    > EG open my computer, C, program files, SomeDirectory
    >
    > Drag SomeDirectory to the command window...
    >
    > - Tim
    >
    >
    >


    .... or just right click and select 'Open command window here'

    Mike P
     
    Mike_P, Jul 19, 2004
    #11
  12. Rupert

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:34:51 +1200, Mike_P wrote:

    > ... or just right click and select 'Open command window here'


    Doesn't that one require some Power Toys / TweakUI (or similar) shell
    extensions installed?

    Or is it now included by default in XP? It's been a while :)

    Cheers
    Anton
     
    AD., Jul 19, 2004
    #12
  13. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > It's probably well known, but I've only just discovered it - when you have a
    > > command window open ( Start->Run, cmd ) you can do the following for the
    > > function keys...
    > > Rupe's
    > >
    > > F1 retypes the previous command one character at a time
    > > F2 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter the char to copy up to:"
    > > F3 retypes the last command in full
    > > F4 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter char to delete up to:"
    > > F5 as for F3
    > > F7 brings up a dialog of all the recent commands
    > > F8 brings up each of the most recent commands, one at a time
    > > F9 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter command number:"

    >
    >
    > adding tab completion to file names and folders makes it a lot easier to
    > use too :)


    Which by default is on in XP and later...

    Nathan
     
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 19, 2004
    #13
  14. Rupert

    Enkidu Guest

    On 18 Jul 2004 23:24:52 -0700, (Nathan Mercer)
    wrote:

    >"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> > It's probably well known, but I've only just discovered it - when you have a
    >> > command window open ( Start->Run, cmd ) you can do the following for the
    >> > function keys...
    >> > Rupe's
    >> >
    >> > F1 retypes the previous command one character at a time
    >> > F2 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter the char to copy up to:"
    >> > F3 retypes the last command in full
    >> > F4 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter char to delete up to:"
    >> > F5 as for F3
    >> > F7 brings up a dialog of all the recent commands
    >> > F8 brings up each of the most recent commands, one at a time
    >> > F9 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter command number:"

    >>
    >>
    >> adding tab completion to file names and folders makes it a lot easier to
    >> use too :)

    >
    >Which by default is on in XP and later...
    >

    Not in my XP Pro it doesn't! I'd love to have it but...

    If I'm in a directory with a sub directory called "qwert"
    prompt>cd qwe<tab>
    doesn't work. It just adds a tab.

    However
    prompt>cd qwe*
    DOES work.

    Where am I going wrong, Nathan?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Jul 19, 2004
    #14
  15. Rupert

    Brett Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:46:15 +1200, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >On 18 Jul 2004 23:24:52 -0700, (Nathan Mercer)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>"Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message news:<>...
    >>> > It's probably well known, but I've only just discovered it - when you have a
    >>> > command window open ( Start->Run, cmd ) you can do the following for the
    >>> > function keys...
    >>> > Rupe's
    >>> >
    >>> > F1 retypes the previous command one character at a time
    >>> > F2 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter the char to copy up to:"
    >>> > F3 retypes the last command in full
    >>> > F4 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter char to delete up to:"
    >>> > F5 as for F3
    >>> > F7 brings up a dialog of all the recent commands
    >>> > F8 brings up each of the most recent commands, one at a time
    >>> > F9 brings up a dialog and asks "Enter command number:"
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> adding tab completion to file names and folders makes it a lot easier to
    >>> use too :)

    >>
    >>Which by default is on in XP and later...
    >>

    >Not in my XP Pro it doesn't! I'd love to have it but...
    >
    >If I'm in a directory with a sub directory called "qwert"
    >prompt>cd qwe<tab>
    >doesn't work. It just adds a tab.
    >
    >However
    >prompt>cd qwe*
    >DOES work.
    >
    >Where am I going wrong, Nathan?
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff



    on win98se I only get the F1 and F3 happening.
    Almost like running doskey.exe.
    Which is nice. The tab thing doesn't work though.

    Brett
     
    Brett, Jul 19, 2004
    #15
  16. "Tim" <> wrote in message news:<cdfjeg$bbl$>...
    > Anyone know how to cut and paste effectively without going through the
    > menus?


    Right click (in middle of cmd window), mark
    select text to copy
    enter
    right click, paste
     
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 19, 2004
    #16
  17. "Mike_P" <> wrote in message news:<40fb649d$>...
    > > Did you know you can drag a path from explorer to the command window and
    > > it will paste it?
    > >
    > > EG open my computer, C, program files, SomeDirectory
    > >
    > > Drag SomeDirectory to the command window...


    > ... or just right click and select 'Open command window here'


    You need the powertoy installed
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/CmdHerePowertoySetup.exe

    and there might be other reasons why you want a long file name/path
    copied into a CMD window - one reason that springs to mind is to
    execute a file in a deep patch with switches

    Cheers
    Nathan
     
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 19, 2004
    #17
  18. Enkidu <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > >> adding tab completion to file names and folders makes it a lot easier to
    > >> use too :)

    > >
    > >Which by default is on in XP and later...
    > >

    > Not in my XP Pro it doesn't! I'd love to have it but...
    >
    > If I'm in a directory with a sub directory called "qwert"
    > prompt>cd qwe<tab>
    > doesn't work. It just adds a tab.
    >
    > However
    > prompt>cd qwe*
    > DOES work.
    >
    > Where am I going wrong, Nathan?


    Hmmm. Well I've been wrong once or twice before

    Automatic Tab Completion is on, on my XP Pro PC, I just recently
    installed from fresh and it works

    There is a reg entry you can make to turn it on (which I didn't do)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=244407

    Cheers
    Nathan
     
    Nathan Mercer, Jul 19, 2004
    #18
  19. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>adding tab completion to file names and folders makes it a lot easier to
    >>use too :)


    > Which by default is on in XP and later...


    it is?
    ok then.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 19, 2004
    #19
  20. Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >>Anyone know how to cut and paste effectively without going through the
    >>menus?


    > Right click (in middle of cmd window), mark
    > select text to copy
    > enter
    > right click, paste


    turning on quick edit will be faster if you have to do this alot.
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 19, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bruce the Shark

    Google and cmd.exe

    Bruce the Shark, Sep 15, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    855
    Blinky the Shark
    Sep 15, 2004
  2. mikey2
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    410
    Ms. Jaime
    Sep 9, 2003
  3. =?Utf-8?B?Y2FmZWJpcmQ=?=

    connecting to 64 bit cmd.exe or regedit.exe from remote scripts

    =?Utf-8?B?Y2FmZWJpcmQ=?=, May 21, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    8,191
    PRIYANSMURARKA
    Nov 2, 2010
  4. missing cmd.exe

    , Aug 31, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    7,198
    Aaron Kelley
    Aug 31, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?U2V6aW4gRXJlbiAocy5lcmVuQHRldGFzLmNvbS50

    To give LISTof Wirelss Networks,which Win32 cmd in cmd prompt is u

    =?Utf-8?B?U2V6aW4gRXJlbiAocy5lcmVuQHRldGFzLmNvbS50, Jul 5, 2007, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,399
    Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
    Jul 5, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page