Some images come out half grey upon transfer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Neil, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. Neil

    Neil Guest

    My new'ish Sony DSC-P32 digicam, keeps on producing an occasional picture
    where anything from one-third, to three-quarters of the bottom of the image
    is unprocessed and appears completely grey when looked at on the PC.

    I can't make out the situations when it does this, but possibly amongst the
    early or first pictures on a reformatted memory stick. Trying to avoid
    that yesterday, I took a low-res junk picture, before my first 3.1mb
    high-res pic. The low-res was fine, the high-res not. Usually I am using
    high-res.

    On the one I took yesterday, if I look at on the camera LCD it displays fine
    for a second or two, then comes up with a File Error . If I display it
    small-size on the LCD in a mosaic of 3 x 3 images, it shows it fine.

    Generally I download the pictures by taking the Memory Stick, and reading
    from a Jenoptik USB memory stick reader, rather than plugging a cable into
    the camera.

    Is this likely to be a camera fault, a memory stick fault, or something
    else?

    --
    regards,
    Neil
    Neil, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Neil

    Neil Guest

    Re: Some images come out half grey upon transfer **UPDATE**

    > My new'ish Sony DSC-P32 digicam, keeps on producing an occasional picture
    > where anything from one-third, to three-quarters of the bottom of the

    image
    > is unprocessed and appears completely grey when looked at on the PC.

    I've done a little more testing now, and the scenario outlined above
    definitely seems to happen *only* when I take the Memory Stick out of the
    digicam, and put it in an adapter in the PC. Then on copying the files to
    my hard drive, the first hi-res picture is corrupted. If I download
    straight from the digicam, it seems OK.

    Any thoughts?

    Neil
    Neil, Oct 28, 2003

  3. Neil

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Neil wrote:

    >> My new'ish Sony DSC-P32 digicam, keeps on producing an occasional picture
    >> where anything from one-third, to three-quarters of the bottom of the

    > image
    >> is unprocessed and appears completely grey when looked at on the PC.
    >>

    > I've done a little more testing now, and the scenario outlined above
    > definitely seems to happen *only* when I take the Memory Stick out of the
    > digicam, and put it in an adapter in the PC. Then on copying the files to
    > my hard drive, the first hi-res picture is corrupted. If I download
    > straight from the digicam, it seems OK.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    If you can take and store pictures, your camera is working. The fact you can
    retrieve all the shots from the memory card through the camera port shows both
    the camera and memory card are OK.

    I'd suspect the reader..
    Jim Townsend, Oct 29, 2003