    The only thing is that I don't want to network the two computers together.

    Your help would be greatly appreciated
    Roger
    Roger Dodger, Sep 12, 2009

  2. "Roger Dodger" <> wrote in message
    news:GlTqm.40235$...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I hope that someone can help me,,,,,
    >
    > I have PC set up in my lounge running XP. I also have my wife's laptop in
    > the kitchen running Vista. Currently we have a modem with USB and Network
    > outs so the usb is attached to my PC and the network cable is connected
    > to the Laptop. The 2 machines are about 5 metres apart.
    >
    > My question is this
    >
    > What is the best way to be able to print with the laptop? Should I buy a
    > separate printer? If I get a USB hub can I plug 2 computers into it?
    >
    > The only thing is that I don't want to network the two computers together.
    >
    > Your help would be greatly appreciated
    > Roger

    Why not create a workgroup, then anybody in the group can print to a printer
    connected to any other member of the group.

    I have a wireless network at my house. I have 3 desktop machines, 2 laptops,
    and a netbook. The printers are visible to any user in the group.

    All you have to do is set the Sharing so that the printer is a shared
    resource. If any printer is also a scanner, then you can set a folder on the
    machine with the scanner connected to a Shared Folder. This will allow you
    to scan to the shared folder, then open the shared folder from other
    machines in the group, this makes it easy to scan a file in one room, and
    make it accessable from a computer in another part of the house.

    Why do you NOT want to network the computers together? This is the obvious
    solution that has zero cost. You can set each machine so that nothing is
    shared except the attached printer on whichever machine has the printer
    attached. You can also select NO shared folders, or just one shared folder
    so that you can share files by simply dropping the desired files into the
    shared folder.

    Jeff Strickland, Sep 12, 2009

  3. Roger Dodger

    Paul Guest

    Roger Dodger wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I hope that someone can help me,,,,,
    >
    > I have PC set up in my lounge running XP. I also have my wife's laptop in
    > the kitchen running Vista. Currently we have a modem with USB and Network
    > outs so the usb is attached to my PC and the network cable is connected to
    > the Laptop. The 2 machines are about 5 metres apart.
    >
    > My question is this
    >
    > What is the best way to be able to print with the laptop? Should I buy a
    > separate printer? If I get a USB hub can I plug 2 computers into it?
    >
    > The only thing is that I don't want to network the two computers together.
    >
    > Your help would be greatly appreciated
    > Roger

    They make various kinds of USB switch devices. This is an example.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16817111708

    The number of computers and number of peripherals varies with
    these. Some seem to be simple manual devices, probably just
    a regular switch, to change the relationship. I think I saw
    one though, which claimed to be able to fool the computer
    into thinking something was still there, even when the peripheral
    was switched away. (Perhaps just enough of a response, so that the
    computer ding-dong sound isn't constantly happening.)

    I've seen

    1) Two computers to one peripheral. That is the kind you're looking for.
    2) Two computers to two peripherals. Allows a pair of USB devices to be
    switched between computers.
    3) Four computers to one peripheral.

    At least some of these devices, have flimsy switches. Which is why you
    should read the reviews, and see what people think of the mechanical
    construction of the product.

    This one seems to be specifically for printers. Too bad there are
    no customer reviews yet. It allows software switching (makes me
    wonder though, whether the unit knows when the other computer
    is finished with it).

    IOGEAR GUB211 USB 2.0 Printer Auto Sharing Switch - Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817399047

    Amazon has some reviews for GUB211.

    http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-2-Port...sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_img?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

    Search terms: "USB sharing"