    John H

    On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
    on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

    John H, Apr 16, 2004

  2. John H

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    John H <jherring$$@$$cox**.net> wrote:
    >When I applied "red eye reduction" to a picture with an original file size of
    >about 2500 KB and then saved the image, the file size dropped to about 400KB.

    What was the format of the original file? JPG?

    >Any idea what could cause this, or how to correct it?

    If it's JPG, change the JPEG saving options to use a higher quality (lower
    compression) that's more in line with your original.

    If it's another format ... you have to give us a clue.

    Mike S., Apr 16, 2004

  3. John H

    Andrew Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:04:45 -0400, John H <jherring$$@$$cox**.net>
    repeated this question pointlessly:

    >When I applied "red eye reduction" to a picture with an original file size of
    >about 2500 KB and then saved the image, the file size dropped to about 400KB.
    >Any idea what could cause this, or how to correct it?

    Why don't you read the advice given to you when you previously asked
    the question?
    please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.

    Andrew, Apr 16, 2004
  4. John H

    Lindyhop Guest

    Assuming you're using the latest version of IrfanView (3.85) you should have the option to set the "save quality" for jpegs and gifs - slide the bar to 100 (for best quality) and your file size will remain large.

    Lindyhop, Apr 16, 2004
  5. John H

    Paul H. Guest

    > When I applied "red eye reduction" to a picture with an original file size

    of
    > about 2500 KB and then saved the image, the file size dropped to about

    400KB.
    > Any idea what could cause this, or how to correct it?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > John H

    When you save the file, choose "Save As..." instead of "Save" from the File
    menu and set the JPEG parameters for less compression, or select a lossless
    format such as TIFF.

    Personally, I like to end a red-eye reduction session with a couple stiff
    shots of Red-Eye to make up for the picture's loss. I recommend Laphroaig
    single-malt.

    Paul H., Apr 16, 2004
  6. John H

    John H Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:20:34 +0000 (UTC), (Mike S.) wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >John H <jherring$$@$$cox**.net> wrote:
    >>When I applied "red eye reduction" to a picture with an original file size of
    >>about 2500 KB and then saved the image, the file size dropped to about 400KB.

    >What was the format of the original file? JPG?
    >
    >>Any idea what could cause this, or how to correct it?

    >If it's JPG, change the JPEG saving options to use a higher quality (lower
    >compression) that's more in line with your original.
    >
    >If it's another format ... you have to give us a clue.

    The format is jpg. I'll look for savings options.

    John H, Apr 16, 2004
  7. John H

    John H Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 09:43:43 -0700, "Lindyhop"
    <> wrote:

    >Assuming you're using the latest version of IrfanView (3.85) you should have the option to set the "save quality" for jpegs and gifs - slide the bar to 100 (for best quality) and your file size will remain large.
    >

    >"John H" <jherring$$@$$cox**.net> wrote in message news:...
    >> When I applied "red eye reduction" to a picture with an original file size of
    >> about 2500 KB and then saved the image, the file size dropped to about 400KB.
    >> Any idea what could cause this, or how to correct it?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> John H
    >>
    >> On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
    >> on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

    Thanks, I found the options in the 'save' window. Should I check the
    'progressive jpg' option, or leave it alone.

    Thanks

    John H, Apr 16, 2004
  8. John H

    John H Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:23:02 +0100, Andrew <spamtrap@localhost> wrote:

    >On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 08:04:45 -0400, John H <jherring$$@$$cox**.net>
    >repeated this question pointlessly:
    >
    >>When I applied "red eye reduction" to a picture with an original file size of
    >>about 2500 KB and then saved the image, the file size dropped to about 400KB.
    >>Any idea what could cause this, or how to correct it?

    >Why don't you read the advice given to you when you previously asked
    >the question?

    Sorry, I checked but found no answer the first time. My ISP did have a rough day
    about three days ago, so maybe it got lost somewhere. Please repost if you were
    kind enough to offer some help.

    I am using the jpg format.

    John H, Apr 16, 2004
  9. John H

    John H Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:16:56 -0700, "Paul H." <>
    wrote:

    >"John H" <jherring$$@$$cox**.net> wrote in message
    >> When I applied "red eye reduction" to a picture with an original file size

    >of
    >> about 2500 KB and then saved the image, the file size dropped to about

    >400KB.
    >> Any idea what could cause this, or how to correct it?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >> John H

    >When you save the file, choose "Save As..." instead of "Save" from the File
    >menu and set the JPEG parameters for less compression, or select a lossless
    >format such as TIFF.
    >
    >Personally, I like to end a red-eye reduction session with a couple stiff
    >shots of Red-Eye to make up for the picture's loss. I recommend Laphroaig
    >single-malt.

    Saving as a TIF increases the file size from 2800KB (for .jpg) to over 14000KB.
    Is there a big advantage in doing this?

    John H, Apr 16, 2004
  10. John H

    Lindyhop Guest

    > Saving as a TIF increases the file size from 2800KB (for .jpg) to over 14000KB.
    > Is there a big advantage in doing this?
    >
    > John H

    The advantage is simply that you don't lose any quality in the saving process as the image is not compressed. I've read that if you save jpegs repeatedly the deterioration becomes noticeable due to the compressing.

    Lindyhop, Apr 16, 2004
  11. John H

    Bert Hyman Guest

    (Lindyhop) wrote in

    > I've read that if you save jpegs repeatedly the deterioration
    > becomes noticeable due to the compressing.

    I suppose I could wait 'til I get home and just try this, but is
    IrfanView smart enough to not re-write the file if it hasn't been
    changed, or to at least re-save an unmodified copy of the file?

    --
    Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

    Bert Hyman, Apr 16, 2004
  12. John H

    Paul H. Guest

    > Saving as a TIF increases the file size from 2800KB (for .jpg) to over

    14000KB.
    > Is there a big advantage in doing this?

    The advantage is that once saved as TIFF (or using any other lossless
    compression scheme) you can save the file over and over again without
    alteration of those picture elements you didn't deliberately change during
    an editing session. If the memory overhead is too high AND you still want
    lossless compression, you can ZIP-store your TIFF images. If you are never
    going to re-edit your images once you've corrected them, then it doesn't
    really matter what format you choose, since the information loss occurs only
    when an image is saved and NOT when it's viewed.

    You should, perhaps, get in the habit of storing your originals in a safe
    folder and you might even set the read-only file attribute if you're really
    paranoid and don't trust yourself to remember not to over-write the files.

    If you had relatives that looked like mine, though, you'd likely want to
    save the JPEG's over and over again 'til you achieved an anesthetic
    blurriness which made the images palatable. I have considered using a
    cheese-cloth lens filter when taking family pictures, but I don't want to
    degrade the usually attractive background scenery.

    Paul H., Apr 16, 2004
  13. John H

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Lindyhop wrote:
    > Assuming you're using the latest version of IrfanView (3.85) you should have the option to set the "save quality" for jpegs and gifs - slide the bar to 100 (for best quality) and your file size will remain large.
    >

    > "John H" <jherring$$@$$cox**.net> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>When I applied "red eye reduction" to a picture with an original file size of
    >>about 2500 KB and then saved the image, the file size dropped to about 400KB.
    >>Any idea what could cause this, or how to correct it?
    >>
    >>Thanks for any help.
    >>
    >>John H
    >>
    >>On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
    >>on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

    The 3.90 version is now available.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 16, 2004
  14. John H

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Bert Hyman wrote:
    > (Lindyhop) wrote in
    >

    >>I've read that if you save jpegs repeatedly the deterioration
    >>becomes noticeable due to the compressing.

    > I suppose I could wait 'til I get home and just try this, but is
    > IrfanView smart enough to not re-write the file if it hasn't been
    > changed, or to at least re-save an unmodified copy of the file?

    Yes, it is. And be sure to download the new 3.90 version.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 16, 2004
  15. John H

    John H Guest

    On 16 Apr 2004 19:15:09 GMT, Bert Hyman <> wrote:

    > (Lindyhop) wrote in
    >
    >> I've read that if you save jpegs repeatedly the deterioration
    >> becomes noticeable due to the compressing.

    >I suppose I could wait 'til I get home and just try this, but is
    >IrfanView smart enough to not re-write the file if it hasn't been
    >changed, or to at least re-save an unmodified copy of the file?

    Irfanview will allow one to make changes and "save as..." with a new filename.
    The old file will remain. If one makes a change and then clicks "save" the old
    file is replaced.

    John H, Apr 17, 2004
  16. John H

    John H Guest

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 12:22:03 -0700, "Paul H." <>
    wrote:

    >"John H" <jherring$$@$$cox**.net> wrote in message
    >> >

    >> Saving as a TIF increases the file size from 2800KB (for .jpg) to over

    >14000KB.
    >> Is there a big advantage in doing this?

    >The advantage is that once saved as TIFF (or using any other lossless
    >compression scheme) you can save the file over and over again without
    >alteration of those picture elements you didn't deliberately change during
    >an editing session. If the memory overhead is too high AND you still want
    >lossless compression, you can ZIP-store your TIFF images. If you are never
    >going to re-edit your images once you've corrected them, then it doesn't
    >really matter what format you choose, since the information loss occurs only
    >when an image is saved and NOT when it's viewed.
    >
    >You should, perhaps, get in the habit of storing your originals in a safe
    >folder and you might even set the read-only file attribute if you're really
    >paranoid and don't trust yourself to remember not to over-write the files.
    >
    >If you had relatives that looked like mine, though, you'd likely want to
    >save the JPEG's over and over again 'til you achieved an anesthetic
    >blurriness which made the images palatable. I have considered using a
    >cheese-cloth lens filter when taking family pictures, but I don't want to
    >degrade the usually attractive background scenery.

    I love it!

    John H, Apr 17, 2004