Some graphics/pictures used as links to other sites are not displayed in IE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DennisC, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. DennisC

    DennisC Guest

    "Sena Munasinghe" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I open certian sites, I see big blank squares with a red "X" in a box
    > at top left hand corner in the page. These are graphics with a hyperlink

    > other sites. The link works but not the graphic.
    >
    > I tried to solve this problem for ages. Can somebody help me ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Sena
    >
    > Hello,

    Start Internet Explorer and open tools | options and on the advanced tab
    under multimedia make sure the box to show images is checked.
    If it is checked, and only certain web sites fail to load images it is
    on the individual web site and not at your computer.
    DennisC
    DennisC, Jul 11, 2004

  2. DennisC

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:10:18 -0700, "Sena Munasinghe"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >When I open certian sites, I see big blank squares with a red "X" in a box
    >at top left hand corner in the page. These are graphics with a hyperlink to
    >other sites. The link works but not the graphic.
    >
    >I tried to solve this problem for ages. Can somebody help me ?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Sena

    For just an occasional problem, right-click the "x" and select "Show Image".

    For a continuing problem:

    Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options
    Click the "Advanced" tab, Scroll down to "Multimedia",
    check "Show pictures", and uncheck "Show image download
    placeholders". Click "apply", "OK"

    Also click the "General" tab, Under "Temporary Internet Files", click the
    "Delete Files" button, check the
    box, "Delete all offline content", "OK". After it finishes, click the
    "Settings" button and lower the amount
    of disk space to use to 20 Meg. Click "OK", "Apply". That will increase
    your hard drive space by how
    much was in that folder. I've seen it well over a gig. Folders that big are
    prone to crosslinked files.
    Clear it weekly, or sooner, especially if IE starts acting funny.

    Also click the "Advanced" tab, scroll down to "Security", and check the box,
    "Empty Temporary
    Internet Files folder when browser is closed", click "Apply", "OK"

    For web images:
    How Internet Explorer Cache Settings Affect Web Browsing
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=263070

    If that didn't fix it, then check here:

    Images Are Not Displayed Properly in Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=176945

    Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in Proper Format
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260650

    Right-Clicking, Selecting 'Save Picture As' Does Not Save
    Image with Correct Extension
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=250747

    Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810978

    Web Accessories Functionality Turns Off Image Downloading
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=223050

    Problems Displaying Images in Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=181836

    Pictures Are Not Displayed on Web Sites in Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283807

    Images & Pictures - Internet Explorer
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/ieimage.htm

    Can't see jpg's or gifs - Red X - images missing
    http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers.htm#jpg_gif

    Enabling and disabling Ad Blocking in Norton
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/pfdocs/2001100915311136
    Unk, Jul 11, 2004

  3. DennisC wrote:

    > "Sena Munasinghe" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,

    >> When I open certian sites, I see big blank squares with a red "X" in a box
    >> at top left hand corner in the page. These are graphics with a hyperlink

    >> other sites. The link works but not the graphic.

    >> I tried to solve this problem for ages. Can somebody help me ?

    > Start Internet Explorer and open tools | options and on the advanced tab
    > under multimedia make sure the box to show images is checked.
    > If it is checked, and only certain web sites fail to load images it is
    > on the individual web site and not at your computer.
    > DennisC

    I don't use IE, but doesn't it have a show-images-from-site-only (as
    versus from other sites) setting, somewhere?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Sena Munasinghe, Jul 11, 2004
  5. Sena Munasinghe wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > When I open certian sites, I see big blank squares with a red "X" in a box
    > at top left hand corner in the page. These are graphics with a hyperlink
    > to other sites. The link works but not the graphic.
    >
    > I tried to solve this problem for ages. Can somebody help me ?

    There's the possibility that these images are stored on other sites (not the
    one on which the web page itself lives) and that those sites are
    unavailable for some reason, perhaps even permanently dead. Try moving your
    cursor onto one of those images and lookign at the status bar. It may show
    the url where the image is stored. If the root domain (say, foobar.com) the
    picture stored in is not the same as the domain of the site itself, this
    may well be the case.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 12, 2004