Some GPT documentation for 64-bit platforms needs to be updated

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 11, 2005.

  1. The page http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/64bit/default.mspx
    lists lots of AMD64/x64 information.

    The GUID Partition Table and Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) is IA64
    only as it is not relevant to the x64 build - GPT is an IA64 only construct
    so does not need updating.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Juan Jansen" <> wrote in message
    Hi,

    On the following website

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/64bit/default.mspx

    There is some info about 64-bit platforms, but some of the info is only
    discussing
    IA64 platforms, while its valid for x64, with some exceptions, wich aren't
    told.
    It was promised that this would be updated by the RTM Release...

    But some info is not adjusted/changed/added to be valid for x64

    - GPT info > Only explaining GPT in IA64 context, most info is valid for
    x64, but not all

    GUID Partition Table (GPT) and Master Boot Record (MBR) MBR System Disk
    Conversion for 64-bit Windows (And some pics aren't showing)
    Windows and GPT FAQ

    Greetings

    Juan Jansen
    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 11, 2005

  2. Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

    Juan Jansen Guest

    Hi Mike,

    This is not true

    Since SP1 for Server 2003, GPT is relevant to x64 and even x86, with a few
    exceptions.
    Please check it out. I did my homework... i even have a GPT disk in my
    system.
    I believe the info needs to be updated.

    Greetings

    Juan Jansen

    Juan Jansen, May 12, 2005

  3. x64 (and x86 on Server 2003 SP1) can see a GPT disk. But it can't create one,
    nor can it boot from one, if I remember the details correctly.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 12, 2005
  4. Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

    Juan Jansen Guest

    1. It can create GPT disks
    2. It can't boot from GPT disks
    3. 1 of the reasons the docs should be updated/changed/adjusted...

    Have x64 or x86 Server 2003 SP1 running?
    And a empty free disk?

    1.Open disk management
    2.Rightclick on the empty disk
    3.There is a option "Convert to GPT Disk"

    Greetings

    Juan Jansen

    Juan Jansen, May 12, 2005
  5. Well, there you go. Thanks. (and yes, it does need an update.)

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 12, 2005
  6. I agree it needs updated as well.

    And the previous answers are correct.

    1. We do support GPT in ALL x64 OS'es
    2. We do NOT support GPT as a bootable drive, only storage volume
    3. The GPT drive MUST be a separate physical drive
    4. GPT drives can be dynamic disks as well.

    Let me know if there are further questions and I will see what I can do to
    get you information.
    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 12, 2005
  7. Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

    Juan Jansen Guest

    Hi Joseph,

    Will it be updated?

    Greetings

    Juan Jansen

    Juan Jansen, May 12, 2005
  8. We're looking into it now.
    Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 12, 2005
  9. Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

    Antoine Leca Guest

    En <news:1s2w7%>,
    "Joseph Conway [MSFT]" va escriure:
    > 3. The GPT drive MUST be a separate physical drive

    What does this means?
    I would have expected SHOULD here, in the pure RFC style ;-)

    I understand your official tool (the MSC applet) might have some definitive
    ideas about how a GPT drive looks like. And in the process of "convert to
    GPT" disk it will convert the whole MBR+embeeded partitions structure into
    GUID partitions, and then will remove all these pesky traces of the old
    scheme, and will replace the MBR into a PMBR.
    And great, that the way to go.

    Yet, it is possible to use _others_ tools to also create GPT, as you know
    (for example, those that Microsoft does NOT support, which allows to boot
    from what looks like a GPT disk!)
    And then, using such tools, you probably can trick the OS, having BOTH a GPT
    *and* the classical MBR structure. The expected effect here is to have a
    migration path: old OSes will see only the MBR structure (some partitions
    below the 2TB limit), while GPT-aware OSes like XP64 and supposedly Longhorn
    will see the GPT structure and presumably discard the obsolete informations
    (as per GPT specs).

    OF COURSE, it would then be the responsability of the "other tool" to ensure
    both structure are coherent (if not, disaster is likely to occur, meaning
    loss of datas), and likewise it would be the responsability of the user to
    stick to using one such tool (again, the penalty is disaster). And of
    course, this means such tools will NOT be supported by Microsoft (anyway, it
    is probably only for consomation of techies, not rockies). OTOH I would not
    be surprised to learn that such a tool exists internal to MS ;-).

    > Let me know if there are further questions and I will see what I can
    > do to get you information.

    Please.
    If there is a more adequate forum, I would be pleased to be invited. I
    understand I am a bit too technical for a *.general forum, am I not? ;-)

    Antoine
    Antoine Leca, May 13, 2005
  10. Hello Juan,
    GPT disk information was updated to include SP1 and X64 changes.
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/GPT-on-x64.mspx

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------

    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <1s2w7#>
    <Ous2#>
    >From: ("Joseph Conway [MSFT]")
    >Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 19:47:19 GMT
    >Subject: Re: Some GPT documentation for 64-bit platforms needs to be

    updated

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jun 4, 2005
  11. Thanks, Darrell, for following through on this.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 4, 2005