Some good b/ws from the past.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Irwell, Nov 4, 2011.

  1. Irwell

    Irwell Guest

    Irwell, Nov 4, 2011

  2. Irwell

    Irwell Guest

    On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 14:36:04 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2011-11-04 12:50:17 -0700, Irwell <> said:
    >
    >> http://everyday-i-show.livejournal.com/132326.html
    >>
    >> This link was provided on DPReview, some really interesting
    >> shots from days goneby.

    > Nice stuff!

    I was intrigued by the photo of Anna Pavlova with Novikoff, 1923.
    About the 35th photo from the top. I can't make out where the
    ballerina's other leg has got to.

    Irwell, Nov 4, 2011

  3. Irwell

    Irwell Guest

    On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 16:57:25 -0700, Savageduck wrote:

    > On 2011-11-04 16:49:25 -0700, Irwell <> said:

    >>> Nice stuff!

    >> E.O. Hoppé1923.
    >> About the 35th photo from the top. I can't make out where the
    >> ballerina's other leg has got to.

    > Her right leg is level with the ground, to his left, and draped by her skirt.

    Hah! Now I see it, at least her knee, thanks for the clarification.

    I realise now that there was an exhibition by E.O. Hoppé at
    the National Portrait gallery in London when we were there last May.

    I wish I had opted for it, but it was expensive and we only
    had one hour to spare, but we did go in to another b/w photo
    exhibit by Ida Kar, here is an excerpt from the blurb.

    ""Russian-born, of Armenian heritage, Ida Kar (1908–74) was instrumental in
    encouraging the acceptance of photography as a fine art. Her subjects were
    the most celebrated figures from the literary and artistic spheres of 1950s
    and 1960s Europe and Russia. They include artists such as Henry Moore,
    George Braque, Gino Severini and Bridget Riley and writers such as Iris
    Murdoch and Jean-Paul Sartre.

    Taken in the environments in which they lived and worked, the photographs
    on display offer a fascinating insight into post-war cultural life.
    Comprising several iconic portraits and many never previously exhibited,
    the exhibition is drawn from the Ida Kar Archive, acquired by the National
    Portrait Gallery in 1999.""

    See this exhibition for free – become a Member

    Irwell, Nov 5, 2011
  4. Irwell

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/4/2011 3:50 PM, Irwell wrote:
    > http://everyday-i-show.livejournal.com/132326.html
    >
    > This link was provided on DPReview, some really interesting
    > shots from days goneby.

    Interesting set of images. The soft images are rarely seen today.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 5, 2011