Some general DVD observations and questions

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jake, Oct 11, 2004.

  1. Jake

    Jake Guest

    1. I still occasionally get a disc that offers the choice of fullscreen or
    widescreen at the start of the movie. Why don't they do this on all movies?
    2. Do they really need to shrink wrap a DVD AND put security stickers on
    ALL 3 SIDES!? Seems like overkill.
    3. How did Tuesday become the official DVD release day? That didn't happen
    when VHS was king, did it? Will some sharp movie studio (an oxymoron, to be
    sure) figure out that if they release their movies on a day other than
    Tuesday, they won't have to share the press with competing studios?
    4. I'm a Netflix member. Why do so many people (avd readers excepted of
    course) treat the DVD disc as though it's a coaster. How hard is it to
    handle the disc by it's edges? I mean, for cryin' out loud, we did it with
    record albums! BTW, do those neon disc cleaners work?
    5. Speaking of Netflix, let's drop the conspiracy theories. I'm sure many
    of you work at large corporations. Do you really think Netflix can get
    organized enough to control distribution to the degree that they know whom
    they need to speed delivery to and whom they need to hold for x days before
    shipping? And even if they could, what would be the point? They're a
    subscription service so they get paid the same whether you watch 5 movies a
    month or 50.

    Just a couple of thoughts. I'll be interested in the discussion.

    Jake, Oct 11, 2004

  2. Jake

    Dale Hicks Guest

    In article <YAmad.18433$_a3.10816@fed1read05>, says...
    > 1. I still occasionally get a disc that offers the choice of fullscreen or
    > widescreen at the start of the movie. Why don't they do this on all movies?

    Because fullscreen is a waste of bits.

    > 2. Do they really need to shrink wrap a DVD AND put security stickers on
    > ALL 3 SIDES!? Seems like overkill.

    Yeah, except for all those losers that cut'em open and slip the discs
    into their clothing. Then it might be worth it.

    > 4. I'm a Netflix member. Why do so many people (avd readers excepted of
    > course) treat the DVD disc as though it's a coaster. How hard is it to
    > handle the disc by it's edges?

    Extremely, it appears.

    > BTW, do those neon disc cleaners work?

    Liquid soap, water, and a soft cloth to dry it. Puts little
    microscratches on it, but that's an improvement over most rental discs.
    I'm scared to ask what the substances you find on them are.

    --
    Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

    Dale Hicks, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Jake

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:07:09 -0500, Dale Hicks <>
    wrote:

    >In article <YAmad.18433$_a3.10816@fed1read05>, says...
    >> 1. I still occasionally get a disc that offers the choice of fullscreen or
    >> widescreen at the start of the movie. Why don't they do this on all movies?

    >Because fullscreen is a waste of bits.
    >
    >> 2. Do they really need to shrink wrap a DVD AND put security stickers on
    >> ALL 3 SIDES!? Seems like overkill.

    >Yeah, except for all those losers that cut'em open and slip the discs
    >into their clothing. Then it might be worth it.
    >
    >> 4. I'm a Netflix member. Why do so many people (avd readers excepted of
    >> course) treat the DVD disc as though it's a coaster. How hard is it to
    >> handle the disc by it's edges?

    >Extremely, it appears.
    >
    >> BTW, do those neon disc cleaners work?

    >Liquid soap, water, and a soft cloth to dry it. Puts little
    >microscratches on it, but that's an improvement over most rental discs.
    >I'm scared to ask what the substances you find on them are.

    I use eye glass cleaner. If it won't scratch my glasses with this
    damn anti-reflective coating, then I figure it won't scratch the disc.

    Damn glasses. This is your 40th birthday present, glasses.

    --
    Still Howlin' at the Moon!

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com

    Wild Coyote, Oct 11, 2004
  4. Jake

    jayembee Guest

    "Jake" <> wrote:

    > 1. I still occasionally get a disc that offers the choice of fullscreen or
    > widescreen at the start of the movie. Why don't they do this on all movies?

    Because having two versions of a movie on a discs takes up twice as
    much space on the disc. Space that can be used for other things.

    > 2. Do they really need to shrink wrap a DVD AND put security stickers on
    > ALL 3 SIDES!?

    No.

    "Steve(JazzHunter)" <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:46:20 -0400, Allan
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Just curious as to why that day...

    > So that stocking and inventory are done on Monday, a regular, usually
    > slow, working day, instead of on Sunday,(overtime or a day off,) or on
    > a busy Saturday, according to a friend who actually WORKS in video
    > sales.
    >
    > .. Steve ..

    > 4. I'm a Netflix member. Why do so many people (avd readers excepted of
    > course) treat the DVD disc as though it's a coaster. How hard is it to
    > handle the disc by it's edges? I mean, for cryin' out loud, we did it with
    > record albums!

    I've known a *lot* of people who abused their record albums as grossly
    as some people abuse DVDs.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 11, 2004
  5. Jake

    Timekill Guest

    Timekill, Oct 11, 2004
  6. Jake

    TB Guest

    "Jake" wrote:

    > 2. Do they really need to shrink wrap a DVD AND put security stickers on
    > ALL 3 SIDES!? Seems like overkill.

    That has always bugged the hell outta me. It was really bad when Warner Bros
    always used the cardboard keepcase and at least one of the three stickers
    would rip some of the printing off the face of the package. Same with that
    top sticker on cds that prevents a person from easily opening the plastic
    case. You gotta figure if someone is going to rip off the disc at a store,
    they're going to cut through the shrinkwrap as well as that sticky label at
    the expense of the case so why bother? Meanwhile, if a buyer does the same
    thing, the may scratch or even break the plastic case by slitting the pastic
    with say, a pocket knife or at least have to fumble with removing the stupid
    sticker which always breaks up into small pieces.

    And they only do this idiocy in North America.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 11, 2004
  7. Jake

    Stan Brown Guest

    "Jake" <> wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >Do you really think Netflix can get
    >organized enough to control distribution to the degree that they know whom
    >they need to speed delivery to and whom they need to hold for x days before
    >shipping?

    It's trivial to do when your inventory is controlled by computer.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Fortunately, I live in the United States of America, where we are
    gradually coming to understand that nothing we do is ever our
    fault, especially if it is really stupid. --Dave Barry

    Stan Brown, Oct 11, 2004
  8. Jake wrote:
    > 1. I still occasionally get a disc that offers the choice of
    > fullscreen or widescreen at the start of the movie. Why don't they
    > do this on all movies?

    Please read widescreen.org and understand why pan and scan is
    the root of all evil today.

    --
    Brian The Demolition Man Little
    TNAImpact.com Admin

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Oct 11, 2004
  9. Jake

    Eric R. Guest

    "Jake" <> wrote in message news:<YAmad.18433$_a3.10816@fed1read05>...

    > 1. I still occasionally get a disc that offers the choice of fullscreen or
    > widescreen at the start of the movie. Why don't they do this on all movies?

    Damn straight!

    > 5. Speaking of Netflix, let's drop the conspiracy theories. I'm sure many
    > of you work at large corporations. Do you really think Netflix can get
    > organized enough to control distribution to the degree that they know whom
    > they need to speed delivery to and whom they need to hold for x days before
    > shipping?

    Yep. A fairly simple task with a computerized inventory system:

    http://dvd-rent-test.dreamhost.com/

    > And even if they could, what would be the point?

    To save money?

    > They're a
    > subscription service so they get paid the same whether you watch 5 movies a
    > month or 50.

    No, because they have to pay for labor to process all those orders,
    postage (both ways) on each disc they ship, packaging for each
    shipment, etc. So it is clearly in their best interest to ship as few
    as possible (ideally, just enough to keep you subscribed).

    -Eric

    Eric R., Oct 11, 2004
  10. Jake

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "Jake" <> wrote in message news:<YAmad.18433$_a3.10816@fed1read05>...
    > 1. I still occasionally get a disc that offers the choice of fullscreen or
    > widescreen at the start of the movie. Why don't they do this on all movies?

    It takes up space that could be used for extras and/or higher bit rate
    video and audio.

    > 2. Do they really need to shrink wrap a DVD AND put security stickers on
    > ALL 3 SIDES!? Seems like overkill.

    Yes, because the shrinkwrap isn't a theft deterrent, it's to prevent
    abusive returns.

    > 3. How did Tuesday become the official DVD release day? That didn't happen
    > when VHS was king, did it? Will some sharp movie studio (an oxymoron, to be
    > sure) figure out that if they release their movies on a day other than
    > Tuesday, they won't have to share the press with competing studios?

    It's the same day that music companies release CDs (because Billboard
    stats are out on Monday.) Rather than have multiple ship days it's
    easier to just ship everything for Tuesday sales.

    > 4. I'm a Netflix member. Why do so many people (avd readers excepted of
    > course) treat the DVD disc as though it's a coaster. How hard is it to
    > handle the disc by it's edges?

    Rental customers have asked that question for decades. "Bunch of
    savages in this town."

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Oct 12, 2004
  11. Jake

    Jake Guest

    "Jordan Lund" <> wrote in message
    > "Jake" <> wrote in message
    >> 1. I still occasionally get a disc that offers the choice of fullscreen
    >> or
    >> widescreen at the start of the movie. Why don't they do this on all
    >> movies?

    > It takes up space that could be used for extras and/or higher bit rate
    > video and audio.

    Makes sense.

    >> 2. Do they really need to shrink wrap a DVD AND put security stickers on
    >> ALL 3 SIDES!? Seems like overkill.

    > Yes, because the shrinkwrap isn't a theft deterrent, it's to prevent
    > abusive returns.

    What's an abusive return?

    >> 3. How did Tuesday become the official DVD release day? That didn't
    >> happen
    >> when VHS was king, did it? Will some sharp movie studio (an oxymoron, to
    >> be
    >> sure) figure out that if they release their movies on a day other than
    >> Tuesday, they won't have to share the press with competing studios?

    > It's the same day that music companies release CDs (because Billboard
    > stats are out on Monday.) Rather than have multiple ship days it's
    > easier to just ship everything for Tuesday sales.

    First time I've ever heard a cogent explanation of this practice. Thank
    you.

    Jake, Oct 12, 2004
  12. Jake

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Jake wrote:
    > "Jordan Lund" <> wrote in message
    >> "Jake" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> 2. Do they really need to shrink wrap a DVD AND put security
    >>> stickers on ALL 3 SIDES!? Seems like overkill.

    >> Yes, because the shrinkwrap isn't a theft deterrent, it's to prevent
    >> abusive returns.

    > What's an abusive return?

    Opening the DVD, watching it, and then returning it.

    Mike Kohary, Oct 12, 2004
  13. Jake

    Jordan Lund Guest

    "Jake" <> wrote in message news:<IUIad.28722$_a3.24200@fed1read05>...

    > >> 2. Do they really need to shrink wrap a DVD AND put security stickers on
    > >> ALL 3 SIDES!? Seems like overkill.

    > > Yes, because the shrinkwrap isn't a theft deterrent, it's to prevent
    > > abusive returns.

    > What's an abusive return?

    People that use stores as free rental places. They buy something and
    return it and buy something else and return it. It's why game stores
    like EB don't have liberal return policies anymore. By shrink-wrapping
    a title they can say "no returns if opened".

    - Jordan

    Jordan Lund, Oct 12, 2004
  14. Jake

    TB Guest

    "Jordan Lund" wrote:

    (snip)

    > People that use stores as free rental places. They buy something and
    > return it and buy something else and return it. It's why game stores
    > like EB don't have liberal return policies anymore. By shrink-wrapping
    > a title they can say "no returns if opened".

    Fine, but do manufacturers also have to include the rediculous stickers on
    three sides of a keepcase as well?

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 13, 2004
  15. Jake

    Richard C. Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in message
    > "Jordan Lund" wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    >> People that use stores as free rental places. They buy something and
    >> return it and buy something else and return it. It's why game stores
    >> like EB don't have liberal return policies anymore. By shrink-wrapping
    >> a title they can say "no returns if opened".

    > Fine, but do manufacturers also have to include the rediculous stickers on
    > three sides of a keepcase as well?
    >
    > T.B.

    ===========================
    They would not need to do that if people weren't taking the disc out and
    stealing it.

    Richard C., Oct 13, 2004
  16. Jake

    jayembee Guest

    "TB" <> wrote:

    > That has always bugged the hell outta me. It was really
    > bad when Warner Bros always used the cardboard keepcase
    > and at least one of the three stickers would rip some of
    > the printing off the face of the package.

    First of all, "keepcases" are the plastic cases DVDs normally
    come in. The cardboard cases that Warner used are called
    "snappers".

    Second of all, snappers only had one security seal -- along
    the side -- in addition to the default "label" sticker along
    the top.

    Third of all, of the dozens of snapper-cased DVDs I've bought
    since they started using those extra security seals, I've
    *never*, *ever* had one rip some of the printing off the
    package.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Oct 14, 2004
  17. Jake

    TB Guest

    "jayembee" wrote:

    > "TB" <> wrote:
    >
    > > That has always bugged the hell outta me. It was really
    > > bad when Warner Bros always used the cardboard keepcase
    > > and at least one of the three stickers would rip some of
    > > the printing off the face of the package.

    > First of all, "keepcases" are the plastic cases DVDs normally
    > come in. The cardboard cases that Warner used are called
    > "snappers".

    Whatever.

    > Second of all, snappers only had one security seal -- along
    > the side -- in addition to the default "label" sticker along
    > the top.

    Well, you're a lucky guy. I've bought plenty of "snappers" that have had the
    security stickers on three of four sides plus the shrink wrapping. And I've
    had probably 3 or 4 cases out of I'd guess maybe 40 in which the stickers
    have torn off a portion of the actual artwork.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 15, 2004
  18. Jake

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    TB wrote:

    > "jayembee" wrote:
    >

    >>Second of all, snappers only had one security seal -- along
    >>the side -- in addition to the default "label" sticker along
    >>the top.

    > Well, you're a lucky guy. I've bought plenty of "snappers" that have had the
    > security stickers on three of four sides plus the shrink wrapping. And I've
    > had probably 3 or 4 cases out of I'd guess maybe 40 in which the stickers
    > have torn off a portion of the actual artwork.

    I have almost 1000 DVDs (according to Profiler) of which about 110 are
    snappers. NONE of them had security stickers on more than one side (not
    counting the top label sticker.) I've torn two cases that I can
    remember taking off the stickers, and one of them was a stupid careless
    move on my part.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Oct 15, 2004