some DVD's cause hanging...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by rpl, Mar 16, 2007.

  1. rpl

    rpl Guest

    Hi,

    Hope you can shed some light on this problem:

    It concerns original disk commercial DVD's; some disks cause whatever
    program accesses it to hang.

    Symptoms...

    - place DVD in drive
    - drive flashes 8 times (duration of 1 second, 2 seconds apart)
    - drive flashes forever (duration of 2 seconds, 10 seconds apart)

    a little cd icon occasionally appears on the mouse cursor while this is
    happening.

    Screws up the entire system too, everything either hangs or slows down
    alot. Any program that even *might* access the drive hangs when started.

    Not all DVD's; about a third or so. These are standard commercial
    movie-title DVD's, originals in the package and they play fine on a
    set-top DVD player. All DVD's are the same region(1) as is the device;
    no noticeable similarities. All other DVD's just start up and play.

    LG GCC-4120B Combo Drive: according to the User's Manual it handles both
    DVD-ROM and Dual-Layer (both types).

    WindowsXP SP2: a couple years ago when I had WinME on my machine, I
    used to go to Blockbuster every week and rent movies; they all played
    without problem.

    TIA for any help you can give

    Rhonda

    rpl, Mar 16, 2007

  2. rpl

    def456 Guest

    "rpl" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Hope you can shed some light on this problem:
    >
    > It concerns original disk commercial DVD's; some disks cause whatever
    > program accesses it to hang.
    >
    > Symptoms...
    >
    > - place DVD in drive
    > - drive flashes 8 times (duration of 1 second, 2 seconds apart)
    > - drive flashes forever (duration of 2 seconds, 10 seconds apart)
    >
    > a little cd icon occasionally appears on the mouse cursor while this is
    > happening.
    >
    > Screws up the entire system too, everything either hangs or slows down
    > alot. Any program that even *might* access the drive hangs when started.
    >
    > Not all DVD's; about a third or so. These are standard commercial
    > movie-title DVD's, originals in the package and they play fine on a
    > set-top DVD player. All DVD's are the same region(1) as is the device; no
    > noticeable similarities. All other DVD's just start up and play.
    >

    > LG GCC-4120B Combo Drive: according to the User's Manual it handles both
    > DVD-ROM and Dual-Layer (both types).
    >
    > WindowsXP SP2: a couple years ago when I had WinME on my machine, I used
    > to go to Blockbuster every week and rent movies; they all played without
    > problem.

    some possibilities...
    faulty drive - try some diagnostics or substitute a different drive
    firmware upgrade - check if available
    dirty laser lens - clean it
    corrupt or outdated drivers - reinstall
    corrupt or outdated movie software - update or reinstall

    def456, Mar 16, 2007

  3. rpl

    rpl Guest

    def456 wrote:
    > "rpl" <> wrote in message

    > some possibilities...
    > faulty drive - try some diagnostics or substitute a different drive

    url for diagnostics that work when Windows Explorer doesnt see a disk in
    the drive ?

    as stated, they work in a set-top box

    > firmware upgrade - check if available

    latest

    > dirty laser lens - clean it

    already done

    > corrupt or outdated drivers - reinstall

    only driver available is generic Windows "CDROM.SYS"

    > corrupt or outdated movie software - update or reinstall

    ????; you misread or I misexplained... every time I put certain dvd's in
    it hangs; got nothing to do with what software I'm using; Windows
    Explorer, PowerDVD, DiVX, Real, MPlayerC, WMP

    thanks for trying

    rpl, Mar 16, 2007