    is there a work around, in other words, is there a certain program for
    PC that will definitely play a DVD and deal with the menu the same way
    a stand alone DVD player would?

    alice, Feb 18, 2007

  2. "alice" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I seem to be noticing that certain DVD won't play on a PC with XP
    > using WMP 11 or for that matter any program I seem to try (DVD
    > Express, Real Player). It will play the intro, then get to a menu, but
    > clicking on the titles in the menu don't result in any action. Click
    > play does nothing. Clicking 'forward' does nothing, and clicking
    > 'back' sometimes just playes the intro again. Other DVDs don't have
    > this problem. Is this just an unresolved issue with DVD authoring, or
    > is there a work around, in other words, is there a certain program for
    > PC that will definitely play a DVD and deal with the menu the same way
    > a stand alone DVD player would?

    You don't stipulate if these are commercial release/pre-recorded disks
    or domestic DVD's that have been burned on a PC.
    So as one possible solution...
    It is now a CE standard that DVD drives/burners will lock to a region
    after 5 plays of a region - In "My Computer", RIGHT click the drive
    concerned and select "Properties", under the Hardware tab it will
    detail if you have used up the region options.
    All this means is, if you are located for PAL or Secam, but you have
    been playing NTSC titles (Or vice versa) these are region coded.
    After five plays of disks of a specific region the drive "locks" to that
    region. If so, it can be undone and it is easy to make the drive once
    again "region free" and all disks playable. Go here:
    http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.shtml

    Ancient Trojan, Feb 18, 2007

  3. alice

    alice Guest

    On Feb 18, 12:19 pm, "Ancient Trojan" <> wrote:
    > "alice" <> wrote in message

    > >I seem to be noticing that certain DVD won't play on a PC with XP
    > > using WMP 11 or for that matter any program I seem to try (DVD
    > > Express, Real Player). It will play the intro, then get to a menu, but
    > > clicking on the titles in the menu don't result in any action. Click
    > > play does nothing. Clicking 'forward' does nothing, and clicking
    > > 'back' sometimes just playes the intro again. Other DVDs don't have
    > > this problem. Is this just an unresolved issue with DVD authoring, or
    > > is there a work around, in other words, is there a certain program for
    > > PC that will definitely play a DVD and deal with the menu the same way
    > > a stand alone DVD player would?

    > You don't stipulate if these are commercial release/pre-recorded disks
    > or domestic DVD's that have been burned on a PC.
    > So as one possible solution...
    > It is now a CE standard that DVD drives/burners will lock to a region
    > after 5 plays of a region - In "My Computer", RIGHT click the drive
    > concerned and select "Properties", under the Hardware tab it will
    > detail if you have used up the region options.
    > All this means is, if you are located for PAL or Secam, but you have
    > been playing NTSC titles (Or vice versa) these are region coded.
    > After five plays of disks of a specific region the drive "locks" to that
    > region. If so, it can be undone and it is easy to make the drive once
    > again "region free" and all disks playable. Go here:http://www.inmatrix.com/files/dvdgenie_download.shtml

    I don't see a region listing for the latest one that won't work, but
    all the DVDs that I try to play are domestic (US) commercial releases,
    either movies like you would get at Blockbuster, or PC and/or Adobe
    related training videos. I assume they are all NTSC.

    alice, Feb 18, 2007