Some Digital Rebel & EF-S 18-55mm preliminary comments

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fruitbat, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. fruitbat

    fruitbat Guest

    I didn't have a chance to charge the battery yet, so these comments
    are with regard to the physical aspects only.

    The camera has a slight rattle out of the box. It seems to be coming
    from the pop-up flash (which cannot be released without power,
    unfortunately, so I can't confirm). Other comments on the web have
    noted that metal struts which support the flash are the culprit, and
    I'm assuming mine is the same way (Me, upon finding those comments
    last night: "Oh, so it's *supposed* to rattle. Great..."). I'm not
    concerned, but I don't exactly like it.

    The 18-55mm lens is compact and light, and has a slightly recessed
    front element, which is good, because I tried putting the optional
    hood on, and removing it took enough force that I was afraid I'd break
    the lens. I don't think I'll be putting the hood back on. With it on,
    there's just no place with enough room to securely grip the front part
    of the lens so you can apply enough counter-torque to remove the hood
    for storage. I ended up putting the lens in manual focus and twisting
    the hood until the lens physically stopped at the focus extreme, and
    then torquing it against the stop to get the hood off. This is the
    part that worried me. It's only plastic, after all...

    Also, Canon's US online material regarding the lens says it has
    inner/rear focus. This is *not* true. The front element definitely
    rotates and moves, which is obvious from looking at where the focus
    ring is on the lens, but I still wish they'd list it correctly. The
    Japanese Canon website has it right, incidentally. The focus "throw"
    is short, and it moves loosely, so manual focusing will be touchy,
    most likely. When it's on the camera, I'm sure I'll be leaving it in
    autofocus mode most of the time. I only got the lens to cover wide
    angles, anyway, so it's not a big deal to me.

    Jeff

    fruitbat, Sep 24, 2003

  2. fruitbat

    oYo Guest

    Go on ...

    oYo, Sep 25, 2003

  3. fruitbat

    fruitbat Guest

    oYo <> wrote:
    > Go on ...

    Pardon?

    fruitbat, Sep 25, 2003
  4. fruitbat

    oYo Guest

    On 25 Sep 2003 05:37:26 -0700, (fruitbat) wrote:

    >oYo <> wrote:
    >> Go on ...

    >Pardon?

    There is nothing more to say about Canon 300D/Rebel ?

    oYo, Sep 25, 2003
  5. fruitbat

    fruitbat Guest

    oYo <> wrote:
    > On 25 Sep 2003 05:37:26 -0700, (fruitbat) wrote:
    >
    > >oYo <> wrote:
    > >> Go on ...

    > >Pardon?

    > There is nothing more to say about Canon 300D/Rebel ?

    Well, sure there is, but much has already been said by others. I just
    wanted to address some initial impressions that I hadn't seen
    mentioned here. In case someone was (1) worried about the rattle, (2)
    considering the optional hood for the kit lens, or (3) planning on
    using polarizers with the kit lens...

    Other than that, I've only done some minor testing with it. Using a
    Sandisk Ultra CF card, the write times didn't seem very long at all,
    even in RAW mode, but I wasn't clocking them. Maybe tonight I'll try
    doing some more thorough tests. Note also that Sandisk is
    discontinuing the Ultra line and just released Ultra II cards, which
    are rated for much higher transfer rates (write: 9MB/s vs 2.8MB/s).

    The Canon software has some minor bugs (a dialog box or two gave me
    gibberish at the end of the text, but image processing was
    unaffected). Transferring a single RAW file took longer than I
    expected. I was plugged into a USB2 hub with several other devices,
    although the other devices weren't active at the time. I'll try
    plugging directly into a motherboard port, but it's a pain since my
    ports are all rear-panel and not as accessible. dpreview's (and
    others') tests are better than mine will ever be, anyway.

    So far, I'm happy with the camera and lens, apart from the issues I've
    mentioned, but none of them are deal-breakers to me. Just
    annoyances... Camera feels nice. Interface didn't take very long to
    adapt to. Shots with kit lens were pretty sharp. But like I said, I
    haven't done any serious testing.

    Jeff

    fruitbat, Sep 25, 2003