some digital images from New England fall 2005

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Hilton, Oct 23, 2005.

  1. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Recently returned from almost 3 weeks in N.E. ... pretty disappointing
    trip because of the weather and lack of vibrant colors ... the first
    week (White Mountains of New Hampshire) it was very hot, typically
    82-85 F for the highs compared to the usual 55 F. Mt. Washington
    reported the highest Oct temps in history for example ... this heat and
    earlier summer drought meant many trees dropped leaves, some changed to
    brown or bland yellow, and only a few changed to reds and oranges,
    which is what we were after. Managed to find a couple of spots for
    moose and a loon pair (chick and adult) but not much else this first
    week.

    Then a cold front moving across the Rockies and Great Plains slammed
    into bands of moisture spun off by tropical storms and hurricanes from
    the south and around Oct 8 the rains began, dropping record amounts
    across the areas we were in and flooding rivers and some bridges. We
    spent most of this period in Maine between Millinocket and Greenville,
    then to Acadia, with little to show for it.

    Anyway, here are some of the shots we managed to get ... click on the
    image to go to a page of thumbnails ... everything was shot with Canon
    dSLR's, two 1D Mark II's and a 1Ds. Took 40 rolls of medium format 220
    film and a 6x7 cm system but only shot 7 frames on film, which haven't
    been developed yet. I think it's time to sell off the film gear :)

    http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/fc2005/loon_T4349.htm

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 23, 2005

  2. Bill Hilton

    Mark² Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    > Recently returned from almost 3 weeks in N.E. ... pretty disappointing
    > trip because of the weather and lack of vibrant colors ... the first
    > week (White Mountains of New Hampshire) it was very hot, typically
    > 82-85 F for the highs compared to the usual 55 F. Mt. Washington
    > reported the highest Oct temps in history for example ... this heat
    > and earlier summer drought meant many trees dropped leaves, some
    > changed to brown or bland yellow, and only a few changed to reds and
    > oranges, which is what we were after. Managed to find a couple of
    > spots for moose and a loon pair (chick and adult) but not much else
    > this first week.
    >
    > Then a cold front moving across the Rockies and Great Plains slammed
    > into bands of moisture spun off by tropical storms and hurricanes from
    > the south and around Oct 8 the rains began, dropping record amounts
    > across the areas we were in and flooding rivers and some bridges. We
    > spent most of this period in Maine between Millinocket and Greenville,
    > then to Acadia, with little to show for it.
    >
    > Anyway, here are some of the shots we managed to get ... click on the
    > image to go to a page of thumbnails ... everything was shot with Canon
    > dSLR's, two 1D Mark II's and a 1Ds. Took 40 rolls of medium format
    > 220 film and a 6x7 cm system but only shot 7 frames on film, which
    > haven't been developed yet. I think it's time to sell off the film
    > gear :)
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/fc2005/loon_T4349.htm
    >
    > Bill

    These are beautiful. How many of these were from the Alaska trip I couldn't
    join you on?? (Moose?)
    The first "Loon" image looks rather like a painting for some reason...
    -Something odd about it.
    Not bad...just odd. -Can't put my finger on it.
    -Mark

    Mark², Oct 24, 2005

  3. Bill Hilton

    Mike Warren Guest

    > Anyway, here are some of the shots we managed to get ... click on the
    > image to go to a page of thumbnails ... everything was shot with Canon
    > dSLR's, two 1D Mark II's and a 1Ds. Took 40 rolls of medium format
    > 220 film and a 6x7 cm system but only shot 7 frames on film, which
    > haven't been developed yet. I think it's time to sell off the film
    > gear :)
    >
    > http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/fc2005/loon_T4349.htm

    Bill,

    Very nice pics. I feel like packing my camera get back into
    the boxes. :) Then again, your and Caroline's pictures give
    me something to aspire to.

    --
    Mike Warren
    My web gallery: http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/mike

    Mike Warren, Oct 24, 2005
  4. Bill Hilton

    Mike Warren Guest

    Oops.

    Mike Warren, Oct 24, 2005
  5. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Mark M wrote ...
    >
    >These are beautiful

    Thanks!

    >How many of these were from the Alaska trip I couldn't
    >join you on?? (Moose?)

    None are from Alaska, 16 are from New Hampshire (including the moose,
    swimming the Androscoggin River near highway 16 north of Milan), 4 from
    Maine (chipmunks, junco, girl in red raincoat shot in rain thru
    windshield).

    Here are a couple from the Alaska trip you missed out on in early Sept
    .... the moose are really uncomfortable here because there are so many
    bears in a concentrated area ...
    http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/bear_W2651.jpg (a big one)
    http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/cub_T9D3676.jpg (a little one)
    http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/bear_D2614.jpg (a wet one)
    http://members.aol.com/bhilton665/bear_D3660.jpg (nursing sow)

    >The first "Loon" image looks rather like a painting for some
    >reason... -Something odd about it. Not bad...just odd. -Can't
    >put my finger on it.

    Dunno, it was a 'straight' shot with no digital manipulation except
    exposure as the bird drifted near a shadowed area with light still
    hitting the loon ... underexposed one stop to keep from burning out the
    whites, then another -.5 stops at conversion time to blacken the water
    further ...

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 24, 2005
  6. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Mike Warren wrote ...
    >
    >Bill,
    >
    >Very nice pics. I feel like packing my camera gear back into
    >the boxes. :)

    I think you're sandbagging it Mike, with shots like these beauties you
    should be giving lessons ...
    http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/mike/gallery/photos/photo23.html
    http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/mike/gallery/photos/photo45.html

    I just noticed you live in Cairns, one of my favorite spots ... do you
    know Billy Billson ("Viking II") or Carol North by chance? We caught a
    1,200 lb black marlin with Billy a couple of years ago during a
    week-long trip on the reef out of Cairns (the next year we went back
    but started at Lizard Island and worked down to Ribbon # 5) ...
    catching this fish was definitely the high-light of my angling career
    :) She charged the boat, jumped on the leader and almost landed in the
    cockpit while still green ... luckily we got pictures or no one would
    believe it.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Oct 27, 2005
  7. Bill Hilton

    Mike Warren Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    > I think you're sandbagging it Mike, with shots like these beauties you
    > should be giving lessons ...

    Thanks for the kind comment. It took a lot of prodding from my
    wife to put a gallery up in the first place. I'm never happy with my
    shots. Hopefully, I'll get better with more practice.

    > I just noticed you live in Cairns, one of my favorite spots ... do you
    > know Billy Billson ("Viking II") or Carol North by chance?

    I think I have seen Viking II at the Marlin Marina in the past but no,
    I don't know any of the operators. We often go to the Marlin Marina
    for a walk so I'll look out for it next time.

    > We caught a 1,200 lb black marlin with Billy a couple of
    > years ago during a week-long trip on the reef out of Cairns

    I have looked at your pictures of it. That's a big fish!

    Mike Warren, Oct 27, 2005