    the Event Logs.

    What else can I try?

    Mike Webb
    Mike_in_Nebraska, Feb 21, 2008

  2. Mike_in_Nebraska

    Pavel A. Guest

    Do the clients that can connect and those that can not,
    use same kind of wireless adapter?

    --PA

    Pavel A., Feb 21, 2008

  3. Hi
    If you use the Dell Wireless utility make sure that the Windows utility is
    Off.
    http://www.ezlan.net.wzc.html
    Check the properties of each Wireless card to see if they have a WPA2 (WPA +
    AES) setting.
    A good idea is to have a spare inexpensive Wireless that you know for sure
    work with WPA2 and use it to test the "bad" computers.
    Example (USB, works with Laptop and Desktops),
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315067
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 21, 2008
  4. On Feb 21, 2:10 pm, "Pavel A." <> wrote:
    > Do the clients that can connect and those that can not,
    > use same kind of wireless adapter?
    >
    > --PA
    >
    > "Mike_in_Nebraska" <> wrote in message

    > >I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's
    > > (all D-Link).  I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a
    > > reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key.

    > > I've got our network server down for bare-metal restoration so the
    > > staff are trying to use the Guest WLAN for their work.  All are on
    > > WinXP SP2 with the MS hotfix for WPA2 installed.  All are using the OS
    > > to configure wireless vice a 3rd-party app (like Dell's).  The problem
    > > is some can connect and get an IP and others can't. All can see the
    > > WLAN.  On those that can't I added the SSID, set the properties for
    > > WPA PSK > AES and input the Network Key.  Tries but can't connect.  I
    > > review the properties for the SSID and I notice the charecters for the
    > > Network Key are a lot fewer than they should be.  I don't know if
    > > that's significant, but wanted to through it out there.  Nothing in
    > > the Event Logs.

    > > What else can I try?

    > > Mike Webb- Hide quoted text -

    I doubt it. The ones that aren't connecting are HP laptops. The one's
    that are are Dells. Don't know the specifics on the network adapters.
    Mike_in_Nebraska, Feb 21, 2008
  5. On Feb 21, 2:21 pm, "Jack \(MVP-Networking\)."
    <> wrote:
    > Hi
    > If you use the Dell Wireless utility make sure that the Windows utility is
    > Off.http://www.ezlan.net.wzc.html
    > Check the properties of each Wireless card to see if they have a WPA2 (WPA +
    > AES) setting.
    > A good idea is to have a spare inexpensive Wireless  that you know for sure
    > work with WPA2 and use it to test the "bad" computers.
    > Example (USB, works with Laptop and Desktops),http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315067
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Mike_in_Nebraska" <> wrote in message

    > >I recently installed a Guest WLAN with a wireless router and 5 AP's
    > > (all D-Link).  I set them for WPA2 Personal, with all AP's getting a
    > > reserved IP and all share the same SSID and Network Key.

    > > I've got our network server down for bare-metal restoration so the
    > > staff are trying to use the Guest WLAN for their work.  All are on
    > > WinXP SP2 with the MS hotfix for WPA2 installed.  All are using the OS
    > > to configure wireless vice a 3rd-party app (like Dell's).  The problem
    > > is some can connect and get an IP and others can't. All can see the
    > > WLAN.  On those that can't I added the SSID, set the properties for
    > > WPA PSK > AES and input the Network Key.  Tries but can't connect.  I
    > > review the properties for the SSID and I notice the charecters for the
    > > Network Key are a lot fewer than they should be.  I don't know if
    > > that's significant, but wanted to through it out there.  Nothing in
    > > the Event Logs.

    > > What else can I try?

    > > Mike Webb- Hide quoted text -

    I didn't know that, thanks.