Some Applications Can Not connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Primex, Aug 27, 2009.

  1. Primex

    Primex Guest

    Please help !!!

    Some of my applications can not connect to the internet. I'm running
    WindowsXP sp3. with the latest patches and upgrades I did not have any
    problems in the past and I'm not sure when this started. I'm using a wireless
    connection in public WiFi sites since I'm on the road often.

    The following apps fail to make a connection:
    Safari browser (latest build). Try uninstalling and re-installing 3 times
    Apple iTunes (unable to connect to Apple store and retrieve info)
    uninstalled & re-installed 3 times
    Malware Malbytes unable to retrieve updates
    Yahoo Widgets and other 3rd party widgets are unable to retrieve information
    such as weather, financial stocks info, etc.

    The following apps work just fine:
    IE, Firefox,Avast Antivirus update,Windows Defender Update,Windows Updates

    Norton Utilities doesn't see anything wrong. I tried re-installing the
    drivers for 2 different WiFi cards but the problem persists with both cards
    (D-Link Wifi & Netgear WiFi). I had installed at some point Hotshield VPN and
    used it with no problem for some period 6months. I uninstalled it and I see
    no trace of the program. I tried using OpenDNS but the problem continues. Is
    there a problem with my Winsock and its dependencies? I'm running the latest
    version sp3 and I know not all Winsock fixes work on sp3 since there were
    some changes. Could I be running in some stealth mode option that got
    automatically turned-on/off under the Internet Options and I just don't know
    which one it is ?

    I run a diagnostics and this is what I got below although it mentions the
    drivers for my Wifi's ,I did re-installed those drivers which always worked
    before under sp3. I think the problem is somewhere else. Running with Windows
    Firewall off and Windows Defender off shows NO changes in the problem. You
    can do a word search on the test below for "failed" to get you there. Please
    help! :

    Diagnostic Test:

    Network Adapters FAILED
    - [00000009] Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Caption = [00000009] Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    DatabasePath = %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
    Description = Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller - Packet
    Scheduler Miniport
    DHCPEnabled = TRUE
    DHCPLeaseExpires = 8:14:07 PM 1/18/2038
    DHCPLeaseObtained = 4:34:51 PM 10/20/2008
    DNSEnabledForWINSResolution = FALSE
    DNSHostName = Computer
    DomainDNSRegistrationEnabled = FALSE
    FullDNSRegistrationEnabled = TRUE
    Index = 9
    IPConnectionMetric = 1
    IPEnabled = TRUE
    IPFilterSecurityEnabled = FALSE
    IPSecPermitIPProtocols = 0
    IPSecPermitTCPPorts = 0
    IPSecPermitUDPPorts = 0
    IPXEnabled = FALSE
    MACAddress = 00:0D:56:AB:E1:F0
    ServiceName = bcm4sbxp
    SettingID = {D3538C45-B2E9-4290-91E7-FBAB8C1799FA}
    TcpipNetbiosOptions = 0
    TcpMaxConnectRetransmissions = 5
    TcpWindowSize = 14928
    WINSEnableLMHostsLookup = TRUE

    - [00000011] NETGEAR WG511 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card (FAILED)
    Caption = [00000011] NETGEAR WG511 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card
    DatabasePath = %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc
    - DefaultIPGateway = 10.0.0.1(Same Subnet) (FAILED)
    Pinging 10.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Ping statistics for 10.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
    Description = NETGEAR WG511 54 Mbps Wireless PC Card - Packet Scheduler
    Miniport
    DHCPEnabled = TRUE
    DHCPLeaseExpires = 2:17:30 PM 8/25/2009
    DHCPLeaseObtained = 1:17:30 PM 8/25/2009

    - DHCPServer = 10.0.0.1 (FAILED)
    Pinging 10.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Ping statistics for 10.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
    DNSEnabledForWINSResolution = FALSE
    DNSHostName = Computer
    - DNSServerSearchOrder (FAILED)
    - 208.67.222.222 (FAILED)
    Pinging 208.67.222.222 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Ping statistics for 208.67.222.222:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
    - 208.67.220.220 (FAILED)
    Pinging 208.67.220.220 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Ping statistics for 208.67.220.220:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss)
    DomainDNSRegistrationEnabled = FALSE
    FullDNSRegistrationEnabled = FALSE
    GatewayCostMetric = 25
    Index = 11
    + IPAddress = 10.0.0.168 (PASSED)
    Pinging 10.0.0.168 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 10.0.0.168: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
    Reply from 10.0.0.168: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
    Reply from 10.0.0.168: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
    Reply from 10.0.0.168: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=0
    Ping statistics for 10.0.0.168:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
    IPConnectionMetric = 25
    IPEnabled = TRUE
    IPFilterSecurityEnabled = FALSE
    IPSecPermitIPProtocols = 0
    IPSecPermitTCPPorts = 0
    IPSecPermitUDPPorts = 0
    IPSubnet = 255.255.255.0
    IPXEnabled = FALSE
    MACAddress = 00:09:5B:45:F3:49
    ServiceName = PRISM_ICB
    SettingID = {DF39073D-EDBD-4182-9FB8-66F02C8568EF}
    TcpipNetbiosOptions = 0
    TcpMaxConnectRetransmissions = 5
    TcpWindowSize = 14928
    WINSEnableLMHostsLookup = TRUE
    - Network Clients
    - Microsoft Terminal Services
    Description = RDPNP
    Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation
    Name = Microsoft Terminal Services
    Status = Unknown
    - Microsoft Windows Network
    Caption = Workstation
    Description = Creates and maintains client network connections to remote
    servers. If this service is stopped, these connections will be unavailable.
    If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will
    fail to start.
    Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation
    Name = Microsoft Windows Network
    Status = OK
    - Web Client Network
    Caption = WebClient
    Description = Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify
    Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not be
    available. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend
    on it will fail to start.
    Manufacturer = Microsoft Corporation
    Name = Web Client Network
    Status = OK

    Thank You
    Primex

    Primex, Aug 27, 2009

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UHJpbWV4?= <> wrote in

    > Please help !!!
    >
    > Some of my applications can not connect to the internet. I'm
    > running WindowsXP sp3. with the latest patches and upgrades I did
    > not have any problems in the past and I'm not sure when this
    > started. I'm using a wireless connection in public WiFi sites
    > since I'm on the road often.
    >
    > The following apps fail to make a connection:
    > Safari browser (latest build). Try uninstalling and re-installing
    > 3 times Apple iTunes (unable to connect to Apple store and
    > retrieve info) uninstalled & re-installed 3 times
    > Malware Malbytes unable to retrieve updates
    > Yahoo Widgets and other 3rd party widgets are unable to retrieve
    > information such as weather, financial stocks info, etc.
    >
    > The following apps work just fine:
    > IE, Firefox,Avast Antivirus update,Windows Defender Update,Windows
    > Updates

    It could be that these applications use different ports that might be
    blocked by a Firewall application. Try temporarily disabling your
    firewall program(s) and see if that helps.

    Sometimes problems of this nature can be fixed with
    LSPFix <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>
    or
    WinSockXPFix <http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html>

    HTH,
    John

    John Wunderlich, Aug 28, 2009

  3. Hi
    You are probably better off starting with you own connection (not public Hot
    spot) and make sure that every thing is working Ok.
    Otherwise there is too many variables that are Not under control.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Aug 28, 2009
  4. Primex

    Primex Guest

    Sorry, none of the suggestions so far have helped. I tried LSPFix and it
    found nothing wrong with my connection. I tried WinsockXPFix and the problem
    persists
    .. I then used a registry cleaner TuneUp and the computer got significantly
    faster but the internet problem for some applications continues. I launched
    every application in my computer and they all work with no problem (just
    checking if the registry cleaner wiped something it was not suposed to).
    Eitherway, the registry cleaner did not affect positively or negatively in
    the failure of those applications to connect to the internet:

    The following apps fail to make a connection:
    Safari browser (latest build). Try uninstalling and re-installing 3 times
    Apple iTunes (unable to connect to Apple store and retrieve info)
    Malware Malbytes unable to retrieve updates
    Yahoo Widgets and other 3rd party widgets are unable to retrieve information
    such as weather, financial stocks info, etc.

    I installed SpywareBlaster and it also fails to update. I also noticed that
    my WindowsMediaPlayer has grayed-out the options to retrieve music titles
    ,album covers etc.(meta-data). I went to the internet options to "reset"
    privacy options but nothing has changed. Turning off Avast Anti Virus and
    WindowsDefender,and WidowsXP Firewall has had no effect.

    What other configuration options can I look into or change?

    Please help!
    Thank You
    P.S. I can only use public WiFi in a public library since it is my only
    means to connect to the internet. I tried different libraries but the problem
    is the same.

    Primex, Sep 2, 2009