    So many questions...... I know its a first post, but advice would be ace
    Smile.

    Thank you very much

    =?Utf-8?B?Q0E1NUlVUw==?=, Apr 25, 2007

  2. 64-bit is certainly the way forward. But that being said, there are still
    some driver and compatibility issues as manufacturers and developers move
    from purely 32-bit to a mixed world of 32 and 64 bit. There's a useful
    whitepaper I wrote for MS on XP x64 which is still somewhat useful to
    understand the issues around 64bit and 32-bit. And where things don't work
    well.

    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 26, 2007

  3. I installed Vista Ultimate on my Core 2 Duo E6600 system with no driver
    issues. You did not say what brand of computer you have, but check the
    manufacturer's website for x64 Vista drivers. There is no general statement
    that can cover programs and games, but there is an issue when dual booting
    xp and Vista. Every time you boot xp you will lose your Vista recovery
    files, such as system restore points and shadow copy files. The only
    prevention is to install a boot manager that can hide the Vista volume from
    xp.

    --
    Colin Barnhorst
    MVP Virtual Machine

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 26, 2007
  4. While modern 32bit app's in general can be relied upon to work, some do not.
    Some still use 16bit installers, and they will not work at all. Games are
    tricky in that they may use driver-like functionality within the app itself
    (hardware dependent code) and that will break the execution. So, be prepared
    to experiment, and to 'lean' on the producers who fail to port their stuff.

    Murphy's Law dictates that the game you are most eager to run next, will
    fail!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 26, 2007
  5. Tony:
    So you say that Murphy's Law is also valid in Denmark?
    :))))
    Here in Argentina Murphy works "overtime", running exponential versions of
    its law.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 26, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Q0E1NUlVUw==?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Carlos:
    Murphy's Law seems to work overtime here in Michigan. Have a great
    day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Apr 26, 2007
  7. Oh sure, I suspect poor Murphy has been around since man's creation - if he
    didn't actually participate in the act? Now then, he's got his fumbling
    fingers in everything.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 26, 2007
  8. I subscribe to O'Toole's corrollary: "Murpy was an optimist."

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 26, 2007
  9. Murphy created Women when trying to create Man.
    :)
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 26, 2007
  10. That, is exactly my understanding, although I didn't knew it - thanks,
    Colin!

    (Which O'Tool is that, by the way? I can only recall Peter at the moment.)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 26, 2007
  11. The books that got us really going were the Murphy's Laws of DOS and
    Murphy's Laws of Windows. We created the series for Sybex. :)

    :D

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 26, 2007
  12. To balance the pranks for a general audience, and this being so O.T.
    already - do you know how to make a 'male' brain look like a pea?

    - First, you inflate it to twice it's size, then you paint it green! -

    (This one you can bring back home, Carlos!)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 26, 2007
  13. For all I know it was an apocryphal O'Toole. Sorry.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 26, 2007
  14. I thought I detected sufficient perverseness in you to do such a thing,
    Charlie. :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 26, 2007
  15. I knew a corrollary to O'Toole's Law that said "And it will be worse than
    you think." I don't remember the name associated with that law.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 26, 2007
  16. There is a famous variation - just when you think it can't get any worse, it
    does!

    Tony Sperling, Apr 26, 2007
  17. Tell me about it!
    I got married twice with the same woman!
    Carlos
    P.S.: It is true and with a happy ending, like in the fairy tales

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Apr 26, 2007
  18. I did too. My present wife is also my first. We finally agreed that
    divorce was no solution. Homicide, maybe. Divorce, no.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 26, 2007
  19. That's great. Just like the planet. Rupture is a healing process.

    Tony Sperling, Apr 26, 2007
  20. Indeed. I still have a poster up above my desk for Murphy's Computer Law.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 27, 2007