Some advice before starting the process.

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Steve T, Sep 19, 2008.

  1. Steve T

    Steve T Guest

    Hi all,

    I have a few questions before signing my self up and commiting some time to
    this.

    My position at work as a 1st line analyst has helped me to decide that i
    would love to stay on the support side of the IT industry.

    This brings me onto the MCDST certification, i have a few questions on this
    that i hope some of you bunch may have the answer too due to your experience.

    First off i would like know know how long you roughtly this this will take
    me to complete. I know this question is like asking how long is a peice of
    string.

    I would like to think i am a fairly computer illiterate and have been
    involed with computer my whole life, this lead me to taking computer course
    up in both school and college and further more my current job. I have been
    looking at doing this through different compaines, however i feel the price
    is ludicrous for what they are offering. This being said leads me to be
    taking this up on my own.

    I would like to know a few main points;
    -How much will the exams cost me (tried search for this with no real luck
    -Should i be taking this course considering the job im in or, another?
    -How long would you say this would take me to complete.
    -Where is my best place to go after completion of this certification?
    - When going solo, what is the best way to learn? Books, Cd's, online
    resources?
    - Do i have an option of learning Xp or/and Vista?
    Thanking all of you in advance for your help.

    -Steve
    Steve T, Sep 19, 2008

  2. Steve T

    John R Guest

    "Steve T" <Steve > wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I have a few questions before signing my self up and commiting some time
    > this.
    >
    > My position at work as a 1st line analyst has helped me to decide that i
    > would love to stay on the support side of the IT industry.
    >
    > This brings me onto the MCDST certification, i have a few questions on
    > this
    > that i hope some of you bunch may have the answer too due to your
    > experience.
    >
    > First off i would like know know how long you roughtly this this will take
    > me to complete. I know this question is like asking how long is a peice of
    > string.
    >
    > I would like to think i am a fairly computer illiterate and have been
    > involed with computer my whole life, this lead me to taking computer
    > course
    > up in both school and college and further more my current job. I have been
    > looking at doing this through different compaines, however i feel the
    > price
    > is ludicrous for what they are offering. This being said leads me to be
    > taking this up on my own.
    >
    > I would like to know a few main points;
    > -How much will the exams cost me (tried search for this with no real luck
    > -Should i be taking this course considering the job im in or, another?
    > -How long would you say this would take me to complete.
    > -Where is my best place to go after completion of this certification?
    > - When going solo, what is the best way to learn? Books, Cd's, online
    > resources?
    > - Do i have an option of learning Xp or/and Vista?
    > Thanking all of you in advance for your help.

    MCDST is all about XP. If you want to pursue Vista, the equivalent is the
    MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician.

    I can't tell you how long it will take you. I can tell you it took me a
    total of 4 weeks. Now, I had been front line tech support for a number of
    years, and well versed in Office as well as Server 2000 and Server 2003. I
    was also a system admin ofor a while. In short, I was the help desk, web
    developer, night watchman, etc.

    From the day I set my mind to it (well, my boss set my mind to it as he made
    it a job requirement), I reviewed the material for the 70-272 test, and it
    took me a couple weeks to read the MS Press book, I took the test
    immediately and passed. I then reviewed 70-271, and I was even more
    familiar with that material, again read the MS Press book, and off I went.

    There are those around here that probably took both on the same day. I
    stayed on the side of caution, not knowing what to expect, but knowing that
    if I passed the company would foot the bill, but if I failed, it was all on
    me.

    The tests are $125/US each, pass or fail. You can find vouchers and coupons
    around, but expect to pay that tops. I used the MS Press books exclusively,
    but they do not cover all the material 100%. Review the exam objectives.
    If you feel strong in them, move on. If not, spend some time experimenting.

    Before you tell your boss that you plan on this, ask what benefits they
    might offer. For example, maybe they might offer to pay the costs, and give
    you a pay boost upon completion. Your credential lends credibility to them
    in front of their customers, gives them partner points with Microsoft (if
    they are interested in that process), and proves to your peers that you are
    at least interested enough in your career to work outside the office to
    improve yourself. Sell these points to your boss.

    However, don't expect them to shower you with acclimations and fame. Many
    employers do not understand, and some deliberatly play stupid to you, but
    play you up big time with their customers.

    Where should you go? That isn't something we can answer. I stayed with the
    same company while I earned not only MCDST, but also MCSA and MCSE, and now
    I am working on several MCITPs. Everyone's situation is different.

    Good luck to you. However, based on the attitude of your post, you won't
    need luck.

    John R
    John R, Sep 20, 2008

  3. Steve T

    Roger Mayne Guest

    I have just taken and passed 70-271, and am already working on 70-272.

    I have used the MSPress books exclusivley, and used hands on experience with
    a PC in front of me.

    However, I have worked in the IT industry for over 20 years, just never
    taken any formal qualification before.

    I think it took me just less than 4 weeks to complete (once I got into the
    content).

    With the MSPress books, you get some practice tests from MeasureUp on one of
    the CDs. I just kept taking these over and over again, re-reading any
    sections I wasn't familiar with.

    If you're worried, you can get a second shot voucher for free in case you
    fail first time.

    Roger Mayne, Sep 24, 2008
  4. Steve T

    adamh Guest

    Stick to the books

    The online courses are rubbish.
    Classroom based is very expensive
    and for both of those you would probably still need the book

    adamh, Sep 26, 2008