some a+ questions

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Michael Hoffman, Sep 11, 2003.

  1. Been reading different texts, taking different sample tests.. here are a few
    typical questions that I seem to get contradicting answers on.

    I've read that an ATX power supply is always on.. isn't it non-sensical to
    work on it when it is plugged into the outlet? At the same time, will the A+
    expect me to say that you should connect your ground strap to the computer?
    I think I've seen straps that connect directly to the ground of a grounded
    outlet. This wouldn't seem to accomplish anything if the computer itself
    isn't grounded.

    "When performing any work on the internal components of a computer, a
    technician should connect a wrist strap to the case of the computer for ESD
    grounding. In general, computer components will function at 5V DC and 12V
    DC. The only precaution that should be taken is that the power supply (with
    a higher AC voltage) may store charge even when powered down"

    I read something that said alcohol should be used to clean keyboards, since
    water can cause problems. Yet the AIO book says alcohol can remove the print
    off of keyboards .. which one would the A+ lean towards?

    I've also encountered a question that implied that a laser printer's output
    is the highest resolution for all printers. Unless I'm mistaken laser
    printer's resolution is limited, is it not, to something like 800x600
    because of the mechanics involved? Wouldn't an inkjet be capable of giving
    an higher resolution, if not a better picture?

    Michael Hoffman, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Michael Hoffman

    Adam Ross Guest

    First off, you are not supposed to technically work on the power supply,
    except for maybe testing voltages along the red and black wires.
    And oh, either way is correct for your ground strap. Thats not gonna be a
    test question. However, I do believe hardwood floors are better for
    grounding if that gives you a hint.
    I wouldnt trust carpet for grounding.

    Adam Ross, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Michael Hoffman

    RussS Guest

    Always disconnect from the power outlet. Besides being the way Comptia likes
    you to think, it is also a Health and Safety issue in many countries.
    Whether you use a wrist strap is your perogative, however many companies
    demand their use and to be perfectly honest if a client can see me I make
    sure I am using one. The major point to remember is that you are NOT
    earthing yourself or the machine - what you are in fact doing is balancing
    your voltage level with the machines level - The thing to remember is that
    even the earth has an electrical current running through it.

    Cleaning keyboards - yup I have seen a few with no letters due to being
    cleaned with alcohol. I usually wash them with a mild detergent, blow the
    excess water off with compressed air and then put them in the sun for a few
    hours (or the hot water closet overnight) never had a problem yet.

    Printer resolution - 800 x 600? Irrelvant!!! Talk DPI - The default for
    many printers is 150 DPI and many go to 300 or even 600 DPI, where a lazer
    printer will usually run as 1200 to 2400 depending on the model and some top
    line ones go even higher.

    RussS, Sep 11, 2003
  4. On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 17:15:57 +1200, "RussS" <>
    wrote:

    >Always disconnect from the power outlet. Besides being the way Comptia likes
    >you to think, it is also a Health and Safety issue in many countries.
    >Whether you use a wrist strap is your perogative, however many companies
    >demand their use and to be perfectly honest if a client can see me I make
    >sure I am using one. The major point to remember is that you are NOT
    >earthing yourself or the machine - what you are in fact doing is balancing
    >your voltage level with the machines level -

    Correct.

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Sep 11, 2003