Some 101, please, about LCD vs. viewfinders

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TommyC, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. TommyC

    TommyC Guest

    My main camera is an Olympus C-720, which has an EVF. For a lot of
    reasons - visibility in bright light, powerful zoom but no image
    stabilization being the main ones - I much prefer to use the viewfinder,
    vs. taking a picture using the lcd.

    I was at a party this past weekend though, and the hosts, who have a new
    Kodak camera (not sure which, but it's 4 megapixels and has
    user-adjustable P/A/S modes), asked me to take some pictures. I quickly
    discovered that, if I zoomed and framed the picture perfectly in the
    viewfinder (not an EVF I don't think), the actual shot included a lot of
    extras not shown in the EVF. So I resignedly started using the LCD to
    frame the picture, trading decent framing for the sharpness I'd have
    holding the camera more closely to my body.

    My questions:

    1. *IS* one thing (viewfinder vs. LCD) supposed to be better than the
    other for taking pictures?

    2. Am I missing something, or is it really hard to get good candid or
    action shots with little blurring by using the LCD? If I'm missing
    something, what is it I'm supposed to do to minimize the camera shake?
    TommyC, Jun 28, 2005

  2. TommyC

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:54:43 GMT, TommyC wrote:

    > 1. *IS* one thing (viewfinder vs. LCD) supposed to be better than the
    > other for taking pictures?

    Most people find that they can hold the camera steadier if the
    viewfinder is used instead of the LCD. On the other hand, cameras
    that have LCDs that can be raised/lowered/swiveled make it much
    easier to take some shots that would be difficult or nearly
    impossible if the viewfinder had to be used.

    > 2. Am I missing something, or is it really hard to get good candid or
    > action shots with little blurring by using the LCD? If I'm missing
    > something, what is it I'm supposed to do to minimize the camera shake?

    Action shots and candids (that depend on split-second timing) can
    be easily missed if the LCD doesn't have a fast response time. With
    cameras that don't have speedy displays, by the time you see it,
    it's probably too late to take the picture. I suppose you can
    compensate for that by looking (mainly) directly at the subject,
    only occasionally looking at the LCD to make sure the camera is
    positioned properly. I sometimes do that even when using a
    viewfinder.

    You can minimize camera shake when using the LCD by learning to
    consistently use a more stable technique, such as keeping your
    elbows together, braced against your torso. Much better than
    extending your arms straight out. Finding some means of support
    also helps. I don't know how well it works, but I've seen ads for a
    gadget that is essentially a long cord. One end has a piece that
    screws into your camera's tripod socket and the other end either
    wraps around your shoe or you step on it. By keeping the cord taut,
    it supposedly acts as an inverted monopod. Some of the newer small
    P&S cameras that have large LCDs (and no viewfinder) have built-in
    image stabilizers, which should help quite a bit too.
    ASAAR, Jun 29, 2005