SOLVED: (general problem!) Matshita (panasonic) SR 8585F not recognised in Nero or CD Burner XP

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk, Sep 2, 2007.

  1. Guest

    SOLVED: (general problem!) Matshita (panasonic) SR 8585F not
    recognised in Nero or CD Burner XP

    it could read CDs/DVDs. But

    it wasn't recognised in Nero v6 or the latest CD Burner XP - or
    DeepBurner .. I found some firmware from this site
    http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php in the 'download firmware' link. This
    is probably a good site for firmware generally.

    And some great software called DISC INFO.

    DISC INFO Shows what I knew already from trying 2 DVDs from different
    regions. that the region was locked, but this makes it easy to know.
    You don't need to own and experiment with different region DVDs like
    US and UK or Europe or whatever. It's freeware, it says if it's
    locked, and what region it's locked to. It displays DVD region that
    it's locked to.

    The Firmware worked. DVD was now unlocked , but still not recognised
    in Nero or CD Burner XP.

    Then I found why!
    The thing said DVD ROM drive. I assumed it'd write CDs too. It
    couldn't. I had no idea such garbage existed!!! I thought any DVD
    ROM drive would write CDs too. I'm so used to DVD/CD-RW combos. It's
    just obvious backwards compatibility. But no.

    Interestingly.

    DISC INFO has a 'show capabilies' option. With it I can see that the
    drive can't write CDs. It doesn't show ticks under the Write
    capability section.

    Also.. Whereas i'm used to with Hard Drives, you can't view SMART DATA
    from a drive connected via USB (viewable with a program like speedfan.
    It's data showing if the drive is likely to go bad / if the drive
    might go bad). You can plug a DVD drive into USB(e.g. USB-IDE
    adaptor or enclosure), and DISC INFO will read it, giving you the
    info.

    So.. in one swoop this discovered. An interesting fact to beware of
    with buying DVD-ROM drives. A possible solution to a symptom of a
    drive not being recognised by CD writing programs, (besides the
    update cd burning programs, update firmware). And a great free
    utility. And a link to a good firmware site. So I figured i'd post it.

    , Sep 2, 2007

  2. Oldus Fartus Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > SOLVED: (general problem!) Matshita (panasonic) SR 8585F not
    > recognised in Nero or CD Burner XP
    >
    > it could read CDs/DVDs. But
    >
    > it wasn't recognised in Nero v6 or the latest CD Burner XP - or
    > DeepBurner .. I found some firmware from this site
    > http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php in the 'download firmware' link. This
    > is probably a good site for firmware generally.
    >
    > And some great software called DISC INFO.
    >
    > DISC INFO Shows what I knew already from trying 2 DVDs from different
    > regions. that the region was locked, but this makes it easy to know.
    > You don't need to own and experiment with different region DVDs like
    > US and UK or Europe or whatever. It's freeware, it says if it's
    > locked, and what region it's locked to. It displays DVD region that
    > it's locked to.
    >
    > The Firmware worked. DVD was now unlocked , but still not recognised
    > in Nero or CD Burner XP.
    >
    > Then I found why!
    > The thing said DVD ROM drive. I assumed it'd write CDs too. It
    > couldn't. I had no idea such garbage existed!!! I thought any DVD
    > ROM drive would write CDs too. I'm so used to DVD/CD-RW combos. It's
    > just obvious backwards compatibility. But no.
    >
    > Interestingly.
    >
    > DISC INFO has a 'show capabilies' option. With it I can see that the
    > drive can't write CDs. It doesn't show ticks under the Write
    > capability section.
    >
    > Also.. Whereas i'm used to with Hard Drives, you can't view SMART DATA
    > from a drive connected via USB (viewable with a program like speedfan.
    > It's data showing if the drive is likely to go bad / if the drive
    > might go bad). You can plug a DVD drive into USB(e.g. USB-IDE
    > adaptor or enclosure), and DISC INFO will read it, giving you the
    > info.
    >
    > So.. in one swoop this discovered. An interesting fact to beware of
    > with buying DVD-ROM drives. A possible solution to a symptom of a
    > drive not being recognised by CD writing programs, (besides the
    > update cd burning programs, update firmware). And a great free
    > utility. And a link to a good firmware site. So I figured i'd post it.

    Actually, with respect, it shows that you really were not aware what you
    were buying. A DVD-ROM drive is just that - reads DVD and CD and has no
    burning capability. Generally a drive will be marked with it's abilities
    so what you really wanted to buy was a DVD-ROM/CDRW.

    For future information, Nero has a little program called Info Tools, which
    will give you the same information as Disc Info.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 11, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Nov 11, 4:55 am, "Oldus Fartus" <>
    wrote:
    <snip>
    > Actually, with respect, it shows that you really were not aware what you
    > were buying.

    I may have known at the time I bought it, but that was a long time
    ago.

    > A DVD-ROM drive is just that - reads DVD and CD

    <snip>

    So it`s not just that then, is it.

    i.e. it is not just DVD-ROM it is CD-ROM. And you are saying they all
    do. That does not suprise me.

    BTW, do all DVD-R do CD-R ?
    and DVD-RW do CD-RW ?
    and RW do R ?

    , Nov 11, 2007
  4. Oldus Fartus Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Nov 11, 4:55 am, "Oldus Fartus" <>
    > wrote:
    > <snip>
    >> Actually, with respect, it shows that you really were not aware what you
    >> were buying.

    > I may have known at the time I bought it, but that was a long time
    > ago.
    >
    >> A DVD-ROM drive is just that - reads DVD and CD

    > <snip>
    >
    > So it`s not just that then, is it.
    >
    > i.e. it is not just DVD-ROM it is CD-ROM. And you are saying they all
    > do. That does not suprise me.

    Good point, and bad choice of words on my part. AFAIK all DVD-ROM players
    will also play CD-ROM. I have never seen one which will not.

    > BTW, do all DVD-R do CD-R ?
    > and DVD-RW do CD-RW ?
    > and RW do R ?

    Back when CD burners first came out, we need separate CD-R and CD-RW
    burners, but that quickly changed so that the same burner handled both
    formats.

    With DVD burners, at least in my experience, right from the start they
    handled DVD-R and DVD-RW, with the added compatibility of also burning CD-R
    and CD-RW. Some also either read or both read and wrote DVD-RAM.

    To confuse things more, the DVD +RW Alliance introduced the + formats, so
    initially at least, a user may have a burner which only wrote to DVD+R/+RW
    discs. Some of these did not burn to CD.

    Thankfully sanity prevailed, and most burners now handle both -/+ formats,
    with many also supporting DVD-RAM, and the added bonus of also reading and
    writing CD-R/RW.

    If in doubt, look at the logos on the drive or the box. On this computer,
    it has the DVD Forum logo for DVD Multi Recorder (supports all DVD-R
    formats), the CD Rewritable logo, and the DVD +RW logo.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 11, 2007
  5. Paul Guest

    Re: SOLVED: (general problem!) Matshita (panasonic) SR 8585F notrecognised in Nero or CD Burner XP

    Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > Back when CD burners first came out, we need separate CD-R and CD-RW
    > burners, but that quickly changed so that the same burner handled both
    > formats.
    >
    > With DVD burners, at least in my experience, right from the start they
    > handled DVD-R and DVD-RW, with the added compatibility of also burning
    > CD-R and CD-RW. Some also either read or both read and wrote DVD-RAM.
    >
    > To confuse things more, the DVD +RW Alliance introduced the + formats,
    > so initially at least, a user may have a burner which only wrote to
    > DVD+R/+RW discs. Some of these did not burn to CD.
    >
    > Thankfully sanity prevailed, and most burners now handle both -/+
    > formats, with many also supporting DVD-RAM, and the added bonus of
    > also reading and writing CD-R/RW.
    >
    > If in doubt, look at the logos on the drive or the box. On this
    > computer, it has the DVD Forum logo for DVD Multi Recorder (supports all
    > DVD-R formats), the CD Rewritable logo, and the DVD +RW logo.

    If you check the drive reviews on a site like CDfreaks.com, they
    usually have a picture of the Info Tools screen for the drive
    they are reviewing. That is one way to verify what features a
    drive has got.

    http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/LG-GSA-H50N-Super-Multi-DVD-Burner-Review/Features.html

    http://gfx.cdfreaks.com/reviews/lg_gsah50n/h50n_nero_infotool.png

    Paul