    so other than leaving some third party app running in the background 24
    hours a day waiting to do one task?

    I'm running Windows XP by the way, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    Paul J. The Grump, Jun 9, 2005

  2. Paul J. The Grump

    Guest

    On "Paul J. The Grump" <> wrote:

    |>I need to backup about 5-10MB of data on a daily basis.
    |>
    |>I'm currently trying a number of third party software solutions including
    |>"Auto Backup" to compress the data and send it off to a remote server.
    |>
    |>What are some recommendations for this task? Any more efficient ways to do
    |>so other than leaving some third party app running in the background 24
    |>hours a day waiting to do one task?
    |>
    |>I'm running Windows XP by the way, any advice will be greatly appreciated.

    This was posted in this group sometime ago and I grab'd it just in
    case I had a need for it. All I know is John posted it (found no
    results in google).

    Set your scheduler to run it whenever.

    ========
    Circuit City has an 80GB dual-option USB External Drive (7200 RPM) on
    sale for $49.99 after $50.00 worth of rebates. I have a couple of
    them.
    One I purchased from OfficeMax about a month ago, the other from
    Circuit City yesterday. I don't much care for the Dantz Retrospect
    Backup Software that comes with the WD external hard drive. I use
    XXCOPY (freeware) that works wonderfully with the drives. Once
    installed, XXCOPY can be run from the Start Run box, a batch file, or
    in DOS mode.

    Once I have made the initial backup, which can take several hours on a
    computer system, the incremental backups take about 1/2 hour on each
    of
    my three systems. The command I run from a batch file for incremental
    backup is as follows:

    XXCOPY C:\ H:Office-Drive-C /S /PB /DA /H0 /BI /FF /Po0 /X*.tmp

    where I backup from drive C (the source) to H:\Office-Drive-C (the
    target). On my laptop the target is drive E:\Laptop-Drive-C.
    On my home desktop, the target is is E:\Home-Drive-C.

    The slash (/) commands I use with XXCOPY do the following:

    /S Copies directories and subdirectories except empty ones.
    /PB Shows Progress bar for the job (default file progress >=
    1M).
    /DA Copies newer files and brand new files.
    /H0 Excludes hidden and/or system files (default).
    /BI Backs up incrementally, different (by time/size) files only.
    /FF Fuzzy Filetime (same as /FF2S --- matches within 2 sec).
    /Po0 Suppresses warning on file-overwrite (Legacy /Y).

    In reality, /DA and /BI are probably equivalent. In addition, /H0
    probably is not needed. But I use it anyway. /Po0 is needed, otherwise
    I would have to sit and watch the monitor to know when to enter Y to
    enable a file overwrite.

    When connected to any of my three computers, the files on an external
    drive are just as readable as on drive C. Also, I can update, copy,
    and
    delete files on the external drive.

    I update every day, usually before I go home or before the end of the
    evening. Once a week, I swap the two external drives between the home
    desktop or laptop and the office computer. That way, from a computer
    at
    home or in the office, I can access the files that were stored on the
    other computer no more than a week ago. Prior to going on the road, I
    do an incremental backup on all computers and take one of the external
    drives with me. That way, if I need a file on one of the other
    computers, I have it.

    John

    --
    http://www.bulletinboardforum.com/grape/microwave_grape_lightning.php