SOLUTION: why help and support, avast antivirus, and disk managment could not start

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kenny, Jul 28, 2005.

  1. kenny

    kenny Guest

    Posting for people searching for the same solution:

    It was a dll from iconpackager 3.00 that caused all the chaos...

    here is the email I send to avast support after I pinpointed the problem:

    - - - - - - - - - - -

    I finally pinpointed the solution and am notifying you so that you may help
    others with the same problem

    using a program called extended task manager, I unloaded various dll's one
    by one and found
    that the dll that was causing avast to not start was the "iprepair.dll"
    version 3.0 that is part of
    stardocks iconpackager version 3.00 application. (this is a new version)

    Along with avast, it would disable MS help and support and DIsk managment.

    After finding the dll that caused the problem I searched on google to see if
    others had the same problem
    and indeed the problem was a general one!

    here are some links:

    http://forums.stardock.com/?ForumID=166&AID=81358
    http://forums.stardock.com/?ForumID=245&AID=80436

    as I can see stardock has released an updated version of iconpackager
    (3.00b.093) that solves this issue.

    However I am sure many users will have the same problem with avast because
    iconpackager is
    a very popular software.
    So I would suggetst you notify the AVAST support about this issue and tell
    people to update their
    iconpackager software so that their computers will work ok.

    -Kenny
    kenny, Jul 28, 2005

  2. Re: SOLUTION: why help and support, avast antivirus, and disk managmentcould not start

    kenny wrote:
    > Posting for people searching for the same solution:
    >
    > It was a dll from iconpackager 3.00 that caused all the chaos...
    >
    > here is the email I send to avast support after I pinpointed the problem:
    >
    > - - - - - - - - - - -
    >

    > I finally pinpointed the solution and am notifying you so that you may help
    > others with the same problem
    >
    > using a program called extended task manager, I unloaded various dll's one
    > by one and found
    > that the dll that was causing avast to not start was the "iprepair.dll"
    > version 3.0 that is part of
    > stardocks iconpackager version 3.00 application. (this is a new version)
    >
    > Along with avast, it would disable MS help and support and DIsk managment.
    >
    > After finding the dll that caused the problem I searched on google to see if
    > others had the same problem
    > and indeed the problem was a general one!
    >
    > here are some links:
    >
    > http://forums.stardock.com/?ForumID=166&AID=81358
    > http://forums.stardock.com/?ForumID=245&AID=80436
    >
    > as I can see stardock has released an updated version of iconpackager
    > (3.00b.093) that solves this issue.
    >
    > However I am sure many users will have the same problem with avast because
    > iconpackager is
    > a very popular software.
    > So I would suggetst you notify the AVAST support about this issue and tell
    > people to update their
    > iconpackager software so that their computers will work ok.
    >
    > -Kenny

    Okay, thanks.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 28, 2005

  3. kenny

    Rôgêr Guest

    Re: CUTTING MYSELF OVER GUYS!

    Rôgêr, Jul 28, 2005