SOLUTION: Corrupted SYSTEM hive in Registry

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by WinXP_Powered, Mar 11, 2006.

  1. I seem to recall that someone here recently asked about a corrupted or
    missing SYSTEM hive in their Registry. Here's some info I stumbled
    across while pursuing another Registry issue.

    --------------------------

    TITLE: How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP
    from starting

    KB #307545

    "When you try to start or restart your Windows XP-based computer, you
    may receive one of the following error messages:

    Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or
    corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

    Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or
    corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE

    Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive
    (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate
    System error: Lsass.exe

    When trying to update a password the return status indicates that the
    value provided as the current password is not correct."

    ================================

    Add'l info that you may need:
    -----------------------------

    TITLE: How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

    KB #307654

    ==============================
    WinXP_Powered, Mar 11, 2006

  2. WinXP_Powered

    Maverick Guest

    Refer to one of my posts regarding this issue. I have yet to see ANY
    reliable way to fix this problems. In many cases, it is a manufacturer
    defect down to the MAINBOARD.
    Maverick, Mar 11, 2006

  3. WinXP_Powered

    Maverick Guest

    The logical question to ask is this:

    WHY?

    Why are only SOME systems having the HIVE (Windows) "collapse" out of
    the blue for no particular reason? Why are the systems that do this
    ALWAYS cheap major OEM boxes? I have yet to run into a good custom
    build with this problem. Why are all the supposed "solutions" posted
    out there simply "patches". They don't address the real
    problem/solution. For example: You turn on your computer and S.M.A.R.T
    detects a bad HDD. OK, the HDD is bad. Replace and voila! it works.
    This is more like "Hmmm you have this corrupted HIVE. We don't know why
    or how it happened, but try this <copy, reformat, etc> and hope it
    works. Also, hope it continues to work. Oh it broke again? Hmm don't
    know?

    I think MS, Dell, and the PC "superpowers" need to own up to this ...
    or just keep covering it up until Vista is out :)

    PS. A known "symptom" of a bad or failing hard drive is NOT a black
    screen that says \SYSTEM or HIVE is corrupt!
    Maverick, Mar 11, 2006
  4. WinXP_Powered

    MF Guest

    This is not a windows issue. Period. It could be bad hardware of many
    different kinds. It could be an issue with certain software an OEM puts on
    a drive. It could be an issue with downloaded software. It could be a
    keyboard to chair issue. But it is not a windows issue, nor is it an issue
    having to do with the cost of the machine. All my machines are cheap, all
    run 3 to 6 operating systems, most of which are windows, and i have never
    had the issue. I do mostly training and networking now, not that much
    fixing of individual machines, but lots of people come to me with their
    computer problems - and this has not been one of them. And I do teach some
    A+ classes and beginning MCSE classes with what you might call underinformed
    student groups. The almost universally cheap computers in the classrooms of
    the schools, combined with the underinformed users **do not have this
    issue.**

    Mike

    MF, Mar 12, 2006
  5. WinXP_Powered

    Maverick Guest

    MF. No offense but what the heck is your point?! You admit you know
    very LITTLE about the issue. You've seen it ... never? My ORIGINAL
    POINT is that it is a coverup of some sort from either MS or the CHEAP
    OEM VENDORS. YES YES YES the issue is practically nonexistent on
    anything other than a cheap "large OEM" system such as Dell. Well,
    let's put it this way. I've neither seen nor even heard of it happening
    on anything OTHER than a cheap "large OEM" system.
    Maverick, Mar 12, 2006
  6. WinXP_Powered

    Maverick Guest

    "and i have never
    had the issue. "

    Get a little more experience. I've seen it over a dozen times in the
    past 3 years running a SMALL CS company. "Fixes" have ranged from a
    reformat/reinstallWindows to HDD replacement to "dump the computer cuz
    guess what I don't know!". Funny thing is, NOBODY "knows". ALL that MS
    or anyone else will OFFICIALLY say is "copy the backup HIVE files or
    reinstall Windows. The d*mn thing is reminding me of JFK!
    Maverick, Mar 12, 2006
  7. WinXP_Powered

    pgluth1 Guest

    I have only a little bit of experience, but handle a fair number of
    complaints about "cheap" systems and corrupted hives.

    Sorry, I have no "fix" or even a cause - just agree that it happens a lot
    on budget box computers. Every time I come across it, I (1) reinstall the
    OS, or if that fails, (2) reformat. Every time I try to fix it though
    tracking bugs, it is more like getting toothpaste back in the tube and
    not a permament fix.

    However, I have to ask - has anyone ever had the problem happen a second
    or a third time AFTER reformat / reinstall? (well, obviously not to those
    who replace the drive or pitch the whole machine.

    Secondly, I just don't see a conspiracy. I just see trouble when
    manufacturers try to shave pennies and buy bad parts in bulk. (I have had
    hell with older Gateway machines - it seems that about 6 years ago, they
    were sticking in garage sale rejects.)

    I always wondered if computer makers competed more on quality and less on
    speed / gadgets / and price, it would help. Instead, we get crappy
    equipment that has more bells and whistles, processes faster than 90% of
    the home users could ever use, BUT, cheaper. Once you could depend on
    certain "names" on machines, but for home use, that is all pretty much
    out the window now. Just think if you could make a rock solid machine,
    offer helpful tech support, and brand it -

    Sorry for wandering off tangent - too much coffee......
    pgluth1, Mar 12, 2006
  8. WinXP_Powered

    MF Guest

    Well, MAV, that's only three or four times a year, Once you realize that
    it's not a windows issue and that it is not a conspiracy/coverup you will be
    a bit closer to resoving it. The first thing you might do, as opposed to
    ranting, is to document its occurence on various manufacturer's computers.
    Then, if they are all Dell model number XXX you might find out what those
    computers have in common.

    All I can tell you is that I probably have 10 to 50 times more experience
    than you do and if -- after having this problem 12 times in the last few
    years, and after all that, you have been unable to find the cause -- you
    should probably - well, I don't want to give unrequested advice, but you
    should probably rethink something.

    Best of luck with your problem.

    Mike

    MF, Mar 13, 2006