    blocks do not need to be preserved, thereby speeding up writes. But Windows
    7 doesn't support that.

    <http://techreport.com/articles.x/17136>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 6, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    news:h2rj4t$vl7$...
    > Great on reads, can be problematic on writes. There is discussion of
    > adding
    > a "TRIM" command to these drives to tell them that the contents of certain
    > blocks do not need to be preserved, thereby speeding up writes. But
    > Windows
    > 7 doesn't support that.
    >
    > <http://techreport.com/articles.x/17136>

    Huh? Reading comprehension?

    From the article:

    "However, a potentially better solution to the block-rewrite problem looms
    just over the horizon in the form of the TRIM command.

    Due to be supported by Windows 7, the TRIM command promises deal with the
    block-rewrite penalty by emptying pages when data is deleted rather than
    simply marking them as available. The spec has yet to be finalized, though,
    and no drives currently support the command in the Windows 7 Release
    Candidate. Indilinx has pledged to add Windows 7-compliant TRIM support in a
    future firmware update. Samsung has also promised TRIM support, but Intel
    has been largely mum on the subject. We'd expect it to follow suit, either
    with entirely new drives or firmware updates for existing ones."

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 6, 2009

  3. In message <h2rkq1$a05$-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > From the article:
    >
    > Due to be supported by Windows 7 ...

    Not currently supported by Windows 7, which if your memory is not faulty,
    you will recall has already reached "Release Candidate" status. Adding a
    major new feature such as TRIM support, at this late stage, will achieve at
    least one of the following things:

    * further delays to the release schedule
    * further QA problems

    Do you think Microsoft will risk either of those things?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 6, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > In message <h2rkq1$a05$-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> From the article:
    >>
    >> Due to be supported by Windows 7 ...

    > Not currently supported by Windows 7, which if your memory is not faulty,
    > you will recall has already reached "Release Candidate" status. Adding a
    > major new feature such as TRIM support, at this late stage, will achieve
    > at
    > least one of the following things:
    >
    > * further delays to the release schedule
    > * further QA problems
    >
    > Do you think Microsoft will risk either of those things?

    TRIM is already in the release candidate, as stated in the article

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 6, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Bobs Guest

    On Jul 6, 2:18 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <h2rkq1$-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    > > From the article:

    > > Due to be supported by Windows 7 ...

    > Not currently supported by Windows 7, which if your memory is not faulty,
    > you will recall has already reached "Release Candidate" status. Adding a
    > major new feature such as TRIM support, at this late stage, will achieve at
    > least one of the following things:
    >
    > * further delays to the release schedule
    > * further QA problems
    >
    > Do you think Microsoft will risk either of those things?

    Seriously, what are you on LArry? No one really knows.

    TRIM is supported in windows 7, just that the hardware vendors have
    not added it to their firmware.

    Bobs, Jul 6, 2009
  6. In message <h2rpn7$g60$-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >> In message <h2rkq1$a05$-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>
    >>> From the article:
    >>>
    >>> Due to be supported by Windows 7 ...

    >> Not currently supported by Windows 7, which if your memory is not faulty,
    >> you will recall has already reached "Release Candidate" status. Adding a
    >> major new feature such as TRIM support, at this late stage, will achieve
    >> at least one of the following things:
    >>
    >> * further delays to the release schedule
    >> * further QA problems
    >>
    >> Do you think Microsoft will risk either of those things?

    > TRIM is already in the release candidate, as stated in the article

    Funny they were not able to test it, then.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 6, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    > In message <h2rpn7$g60$-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >>> Not currently supported by Windows 7, which if your memory is not
    >>> faulty,
    >>> you will recall has already reached "Release Candidate" status. Adding a
    >>> major new feature such as TRIM support, at this late stage, will achieve
    >>> at least one of the following things:
    >>>
    >>> * further delays to the release schedule
    >>> * further QA problems
    >>>
    >>> Do you think Microsoft will risk either of those things?

    >> TRIM is already in the release candidate, as stated in the article

    > Funny they were not able to test it, then.

    Because the hardware doesn't support it yet.

    From the article that you linked to:

    "no drives currently support the command in the Windows 7 Release Candidate.
    Indilinx has pledged to add Windows 7-compliant TRIM support in a future
    firmware update. Samsung has also promised TRIM support, but Intel has been
    largely mum on the subject."

    And from Wikipedia:

    "TRIM has already been implemented in Windows 7 release candidate, but until
    solid state drives are updated with firmware that can understand the
    command, it will simply be ignored."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_(SSD_command)

    Nik Coughlin, Jul 6, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Bukkake Face Guest

    On Jul 6, 3:59 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <h2rpn7$-september.org>, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >

    > > "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    > >> Not currently supported by Windows 7, which if your memory is not faulty,
    > >> you will recall has already reached "Release Candidate" status. Adding a
    > >> major new feature such as TRIM support, at this late stage, will achieve
    > >> at least one of the following things:

    > >> * further delays to the release schedule
    > >> * further QA problems

    > >> Do you think Microsoft will risk either of those things?

    > > TRIM is already in the release candidate, as stated in the article

    > Funny they were not able to test it, then.- Hide quoted text -

    Who is the clown? another Woger alias?

    Bukkake Face, Jul 6, 2009
  9. Hi there,

    geoff wrote:
    > Bobs wrote:
    >> BECAUSE ITS NOT IN THE FIRMWARE YOU THICKO. CHRIST
    >>
    >> Larry, stop making a dick of yourself.

    > Why change the habit of a lifetime ? Actually he's a great tonic - makes us
    > all feel better about ourselves.
    >
    > geoff

    :)

    True that, but I just wish he'd stop riling up the Windows fraternity
    in here. Thankfully most in here are smart enough to realise Lawrence
    is his own isolated tiny little subset of the Linux community, rather
    than atypical of the rest of us...

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jul 7, 2009
  10. On Jul 6, 1:14 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > Great on reads, can be problematic on writes. There is discussion of adding
    > a "TRIM" command to these drives to tell them that the contents of certain
    > blocks do not need to be preserved, thereby speeding up writes. But Windows
    > 7 doesn't support that.
    >
    > <http://techreport.com/articles.x/17136>

    In fact, Windows 7 does support TRIM on SSDs, SSDs are really
    interesting for use on Servers and Hypervisors as well, so Windows
    Server 2008 R2 supports SSD and TRIM as well

    Cheers
    Nathan

    Nathan Mercer, Jul 7, 2009