Solid Colors Screensaver.....Why?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by CB, May 5, 2008.

  1. CB

    CB Guest

    Hello All

    The entire town I live in had a power issue the other night where all
    of my lights started dimming. It was making my computer do some funky
    things so I just shut it down before everything went out.

    NOW, after 30 minutes or so, my computer goes into what looks like
    some kind of screensaver mode where it has full screen solid primary
    colors every 5 seconds or so. I didn't set this up and I'm, once
    again thanks to the wonderful world of VISTA, wondering why and where
    this came from. I'm almost wondering if it isn't the monitor doing
    this for some reason. Can a monitor kick into some kind of
    screensaver?

    Here are the specs....

    General Features:
    Microsoft Vista Home Premium pre-installed w/COA
    Intel Viiv Technology with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300
    1.86 GHz CPU Speed
    2 GB DDR2 RAM (4 GB maximum)
    320 GB SATA hard drive
    16x DVD±RW DL drive with LightScribe Technology
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    Realtek ALC 888 integrated 8-channel audio
    56K data/fax PCI modem
    Integrated 10/100Base-T networking interface
    9-in-1 memory card reader

    HP Pavilion f70 Monitor

    Wanted better graphics so I upgraged to: NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT video
    card.

    Any thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance.

    CB ~
     
    CB, May 5, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. CB

    CB Guest

    Well my thought was correct. As my computer went into this color
    dance, I unplugged it from the computer and it continued. It must be
    something in the Menu somewhere. My search continues!! I would still
    love some thoughts :)

    CB ~


    On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:00:37 GMT, CB <> wrote:

    >Hello All
    >
    >The entire town I live in had a power issue the other night where all
    >of my lights started dimming. It was making my computer do some funky
    >things so I just shut it down before everything went out.
    >
    >NOW, after 30 minutes or so, my computer goes into what looks like
    >some kind of screensaver mode where it has full screen solid primary
    >colors every 5 seconds or so. I didn't set this up and I'm, once
    >again thanks to the wonderful world of VISTA, wondering why and where
    >this came from. I'm almost wondering if it isn't the monitor doing
    >this for some reason. Can a monitor kick into some kind of
    >screensaver?
    >
    >Here are the specs....
    >
    >General Features:
    >Microsoft Vista Home Premium pre-installed w/COA
    >Intel Viiv Technology with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300
    >1.86 GHz CPU Speed
    >2 GB DDR2 RAM (4 GB maximum)
    >320 GB SATA hard drive
    >16x DVD±RW DL drive with LightScribe Technology
    >Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    >Realtek ALC 888 integrated 8-channel audio
    >56K data/fax PCI modem
    >Integrated 10/100Base-T networking interface
    >9-in-1 memory card reader
    >
    >HP Pavilion f70 Monitor
    >
    >Wanted better graphics so I upgraged to: NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT video
    >card.
    >
    >Any thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance.
    >
    >CB ~
     
    CB, May 5, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. CB

    sandy58 Guest

    On May 5, 4:20 am, CB <> wrote:
    > Well my thought was correct. As my computer went into this color
    > dance, I unplugged it from the computer and it continued. It must be
    > something in the Menu somewhere. My search continues!! I would still
    > love some thoughts :)
    >
    > CB ~
    >
    > On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:00:37 GMT, CB <> wrote:
    > >Hello All

    >
    > >The entire town I live in had a power issue the other night where all
    > >of my lights started dimming. It was making my computer do some funky
    > >things so I just shut it down before everything went out.

    >
    > >NOW, after 30 minutes or so, my computer goes into what looks like
    > >some kind of screensaver mode where it has full screen solid primary
    > >colors every 5 seconds or so. I didn't set this up and I'm, once
    > >again thanks to the wonderful world of VISTA, wondering why and where
    > >this came from. I'm almost wondering if it isn't the monitor doing
    > >this for some reason. Can a monitor kick into some kind of
    > >screensaver?

    >
    > >Here are the specs....

    >
    > >General Features:
    > >Microsoft Vista Home Premium pre-installed w/COA
    > >Intel Viiv Technology with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300
    > >1.86 GHz CPU Speed
    > >2 GB DDR2 RAM (4 GB maximum)
    > >320 GB SATA hard drive
    > >16x DVD±RW DL drive with LightScribe Technology
    > >Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    > >Realtek ALC 888 integrated 8-channel audio
    > >56K data/fax PCI modem
    > >Integrated 10/100Base-T networking interface
    > >9-in-1 memory card reader

    >
    > >HP Pavilion f70 Monitor

    >
    > >Wanted better graphics so I upgraged to: NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT video
    > >card.

    >
    > >Any thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance.

    >
    > >CB ~


    Did I read this correctly? You "unplugged" your monitor from your
    computer & it still showed the psychedelic setup? You sure you didn't
    mistake the TV for monitor or vice versa? <:)>
    I have just changed my motherboard & had a nVidia 7300GT which just
    refused to run my couple of games so fell back to the older nVidia
    6600 card.
    Try Control panel>display>screensaver to alter/fix the "colour"
    problem, CB
    Good luck.
     
    sandy58, May 5, 2008
    #3
  4. CB

    CB Guest

    Yes, you read that correctly, I did unplugged it from the computer and
    it STILL continued. It's obviously something in the monitor settings
    but I'm not sure what it is. It's really more annoying rather than a
    problem.

    As far as Nvidia, I've read some crazy things about their cards and
    Vista not playing nice together. Both companies are blaming each
    other for not working properly. Time will tell whether or not they
    find the "RIGHT" fix.

    CB ~



    On Mon, 5 May 2008 01:23:58 -0700 (PDT), sandy58
    <> wrote:

    >On May 5, 4:20 am, CB <> wrote:
    >> Well my thought was correct. As my computer went into this color
    >> dance, I unplugged it from the computer and it continued. It must be
    >> something in the Menu somewhere. My search continues!! I would still
    >> love some thoughts :)
    >>
    >> CB ~
    >>
    >> On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:00:37 GMT, CB <> wrote:
    >> >Hello All

    >>
    >> >The entire town I live in had a power issue the other night where all
    >> >of my lights started dimming. It was making my computer do some funky
    >> >things so I just shut it down before everything went out.

    >>
    >> >NOW, after 30 minutes or so, my computer goes into what looks like
    >> >some kind of screensaver mode where it has full screen solid primary
    >> >colors every 5 seconds or so. I didn't set this up and I'm, once
    >> >again thanks to the wonderful world of VISTA, wondering why and where
    >> >this came from. I'm almost wondering if it isn't the monitor doing
    >> >this for some reason. Can a monitor kick into some kind of
    >> >screensaver?

    >>
    >> >Here are the specs....

    >>
    >> >General Features:
    >> >Microsoft Vista Home Premium pre-installed w/COA
    >> >Intel Viiv Technology with an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300
    >> >1.86 GHz CPU Speed
    >> >2 GB DDR2 RAM (4 GB maximum)
    >> >320 GB SATA hard drive
    >> >16x DVD±RW DL drive with LightScribe Technology
    >> >Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    >> >Realtek ALC 888 integrated 8-channel audio
    >> >56K data/fax PCI modem
    >> >Integrated 10/100Base-T networking interface
    >> >9-in-1 memory card reader

    >>
    >> >HP Pavilion f70 Monitor

    >>
    >> >Wanted better graphics so I upgraged to: NVIDIA GeForce 7300GT video
    >> >card.

    >>
    >> >Any thoughts would be great. Thanks in advance.

    >>
    >> >CB ~

    >
    >Did I read this correctly? You "unplugged" your monitor from your
    >computer & it still showed the psychedelic setup? You sure you didn't
    >mistake the TV for monitor or vice versa? <:)>
    >I have just changed my motherboard & had a nVidia 7300GT which just
    >refused to run my couple of games so fell back to the older nVidia
    >6600 card.
    >Try Control panel>display>screensaver to alter/fix the "colour"
    >problem, CB
    >Good luck.
     
    CB, May 5, 2008
    #4
  5. CB

    Baron Guest

    CB wrote:

    > Yes, you read that correctly, I did unplugged it from the computer and
    > it STILL continued. It's obviously something in the monitor settings
    > but I'm not sure what it is. It's really more annoying rather than a
    > problem.
    >
    > As far as Nvidia, I've read some crazy things about their cards and
    > Vista not playing nice together. Both companies are blaming each
    > other for not working properly. Time will tell whether or not they
    > find the "RIGHT" fix.
    >
    > CB ~


    You might want to try your monitor on a different computer ! It could
    be a setting in it, but I don't think that it should go into screen
    save mode whilst there is a video signal applied. This suggests a
    possible monitor fault.

    For instance if I just pull the video lead with everything working
    properly, my screen goes into a similar mode. Plug it back in and its
    fine.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
     
    Baron, May 5, 2008
    #5
  6. CB

    Paul Guest

    CB wrote:
    > Yes, you read that correctly, I did unplugged it from the computer and
    > it STILL continued. It's obviously something in the monitor settings
    > but I'm not sure what it is. It's really more annoying rather than a
    > problem.
    >
    > As far as Nvidia, I've read some crazy things about their cards and
    > Vista not playing nice together. Both companies are blaming each
    > other for not working properly. Time will tell whether or not they
    > find the "RIGHT" fix.
    >
    > CB ~


    If the monitor is displaying solid colors, without a monitor cable
    connected, that is internal self test. That mode would be used
    at the factory, to check for stuck pixels, bad row and column drivers
    and so on. You would hope that mode would not be accessible
    while in the customer's hands. Like, I wouldn't expect to see
    it in the OSD.

    Paul
     
    Paul, May 5, 2008
    #6
  7. CB

    JTJersey Guest

    On Mon, 05 May 2008 15:42:41 -0400, Paul wrote:

    > CB wrote:
    >> Yes, you read that correctly, I did unplugged it from the computer and
    >> it STILL continued. It's obviously something in the monitor settings
    >> but I'm not sure what it is. It's really more annoying rather than a
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> As far as Nvidia, I've read some crazy things about their cards and
    >> Vista not playing nice together. Both companies are blaming each other
    >> for not working properly. Time will tell whether or not they find the
    >> "RIGHT" fix.
    >>
    >> CB ~

    >
    > If the monitor is displaying solid colors, without a monitor cable
    > connected, that is internal self test. That mode would be used at the
    > factory, to check for stuck pixels, bad row and column drivers and so
    > on. You would hope that mode would not be accessible while in the
    > customer's hands. Like, I wouldn't expect to see it in the OSD.
    >
    > Paul


    It probably is the monitors internal self test. If the monitor is powered
    on with no signal from the computer it might very well kick this in. I've
    got two monitors that do something very similar. Sounds like either
    Windows got hosed somehow or his graphics card is having fits. My first
    thought would be to re-seat the graphics card. The OP's second post
    suggests he unplugged his monitor from the computer while it was running.
    I sure hope that was a misprint.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
     
    JTJersey, May 8, 2008
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,340
  2. You HAVE NO IDEA

    Why Why Why

    You HAVE NO IDEA, Apr 22, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    31
    Views:
    1,550
    billyw
    Apr 24, 2004
  3. Robert11
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    941
  4. Donnie Stowe

    indoor flash makes colors off- why?

    Donnie Stowe, Sep 10, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    372
  5. pjruiz(nospaam)

    Why don't colors print right?

    pjruiz(nospaam), Feb 13, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    344
    Dave R knows who
    Feb 14, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page