Soliciting opinions on cameras...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe Claffey Jr., Feb 6, 2004.

  1. ... or, "Which camera should I buy?" :)

    Fortuantely, I've narrowed my choices down to four. They're all about
    the same price and have similar features. The choices are (in order of
    current preference):

    Minolta Dimage Z1
    Fuji Finepix S5000
    Olympus C-740
    Toshiba PDR-M700

    The subjects I shoot are mostly family photos, vacation snapshots,
    airshows, and medieval reenactments. I've done some work with my
    father's Mavica, and I know that a 3x optical zoom won't get me close
    enough. I also need a camera that responds reasonably quickly, and lets
    me rapidly shoot several pictures.

    I'm interested in any feedback I can get. At present I'm slightly
    favoring the Minolta over the Fuji, but the autofocus on the Fuji seemed
    more responsive when I tried it out.

    Thanks in advance...

    --
    Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
    Joe Claffey Jr., Feb 6, 2004

  2. Joe Claffey Jr.

    Linda_N Guest

    "Joe Claffey Jr." <> wrote in message
    > ... or, "Which camera should I buy?" :)
    >
    > Fortuantely, I've narrowed my choices down to four. They're all about
    > the same price and have similar features. The choices are (in order of
    > current preference):
    >
    > Minolta Dimage Z1
    > Fuji Finepix S5000
    > Olympus C-740
    > Toshiba PDR-M700
    >
    > The subjects I shoot are mostly family photos, vacation snapshots,
    > airshows, and medieval reenactments. I've done some work with my
    > father's Mavica, and I know that a 3x optical zoom won't get me close
    > enough. I also need a camera that responds reasonably quickly, and lets
    > me rapidly shoot several pictures.
    >
    > I'm interested in any feedback I can get. At present I'm slightly
    > favoring the Minolta over the Fuji, but the autofocus on the Fuji seemed
    > more responsive when I tried it out.
    >
    > Thanks in advance...

    Don't consider any right now. PMA is just a week away where a whole lot of
    new cameras will be announced. With prices of new cams dropping it is likely
    that the new ones will come out at the price of the predecessors, and the
    price of the ones being sold right now will likely drop. Even if you do end
    up buying one of the ones mentioned above you may as well wait a month to
    see how far their price drops after the new models hit the shelves (don't
    wait too long though as sooner or later they disappear from the shelves) and
    become hard to find.

    I am not sure if you saw http://www.dpreview.com but it is a very good
    camera review site (does not review all models but has most of the hot
    sellers reviewed, good and bad.) There are other review sites that you can
    get second opinions from...get their links from dpreview 'Links' area.

    Linda.

    Linda.
    Linda_N, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Joe Claffey Jr.

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > The subjects I shoot are mostly family photos, vacation snapshots,
    > airshows, and medieval reenactments. I've done some work with my
    > father's Mavica, and I know that a 3x optical zoom won't get me close
    > enough. I also need a camera that responds reasonably quickly, and lets
    > me rapidly shoot several pictures.
    >
    > I'm interested in any feedback I can get. At present I'm slightly
    > favoring the Minolta over the Fuji, but the autofocus on the Fuji seemed
    > more responsive when I tried it out.
    >
    > Thanks in advance...
    >
    > --
    > Joe Claffey | "Make no small plans."
    > | -- Daniel Burnham

    One thing the Fuji has going for it is the "last 5" mode.

    In order to fully understand what it does you need to USE it, but
    basicaly it shoots continuously as long as you hold down the shutter
    button, but only SAVES the last five frames. (really good for shooting
    action shots) You can start firing BEFORE and release immediatly AFTER
    the action you wanted and most of the time 2 or three of the 5 frames
    will be what you wanted.

    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.
    Larry, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Joe Claffey Jr. wrote:
    > ... or, "Which camera should I buy?" :)
    >
    > Fortuantely, I've narrowed my choices down to four. They're all about
    > the same price and have similar features. The choices are (in order of
    > current preference):
    >
    > Minolta Dimage Z1
    > Fuji Finepix S5000
    > Olympus C-740
    > Toshiba PDR-M700

    Tell me more about the Dimage Z1 -

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Feb 7, 2004
  5. Joe Claffey Jr.

    R2D2 Guest

    > Tell me more about the Dimage Z1 -
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Wait for the Z2.
    R2D2, Feb 7, 2004
  6. In article <ixVUb.1275$>,
    "Linda_N" <> wrote:

    > Don't consider any right now. PMA is just a week away where a whole lot of
    > new cameras will be announced. With prices of new cams dropping it is likely
    > that the new ones will come out at the price of the predecessors, and the
    > price of the ones being sold right now will likely drop. Even if you do end
    > up buying one of the ones mentioned above you may as well wait a month to
    > see how far their price drops after the new models hit the shelves (don't
    > wait too long though as sooner or later they disappear from the shelves) and
    > become hard to find.

    Thanks! I'll wait until after the show.

    > I am not sure if you saw http://www.dpreview.com but it is a very good
    > camera review site (does not review all models but has most of the hot
    > sellers reviewed, good and bad.) There are other review sites that you can
    > get second opinions from...get their links from dpreview 'Links' area.

    I've been getting most of my reviews from Steve's Digicams
    (http://www.steves-digicams.com), but getting a second opinion never
    hurts.

    Joe Claffey Jr., Feb 7, 2004
  7. Joe Claffey Jr.

    Chris Oates Guest

    "R2D2" <> wrote in message

    > > Tell me more about the Dimage Z1 -
    > >
    > > Gary Eickmeier
    > >

    > Wait for the Z2.

    double the price for 0.8 megapixals
    Chris Oates, Feb 7, 2004
  8. "Linda_N" <> wrote in message
    > "Joe Claffey Jr." <> wrote in message
    > > ... or, "Which camera should I buy?" :)

    <snip>

    > Don't consider any right now. PMA is just a week away where a whole lot of
    > new cameras will be announced. With prices of new cams dropping it is

    likely
    > that the new ones will come out at the price of the predecessors, and the
    > price of the ones being sold right now will likely drop. Even if you do

    end
    > up buying one of the ones mentioned above you may as well wait a month to
    > see how far their price drops after the new models hit the shelves (don't
    > wait too long though as sooner or later they disappear from the shelves)

    and
    > become hard to find.
    >
    > I am not sure if you saw http://www.dpreview.com but it is a very good
    > camera review site (does not review all models but has most of the hot
    > sellers reviewed, good and bad.) There are other review sites that you can
    > get second opinions from...get their links from dpreview 'Links' area.
    >
    > Linda.
    >
    > Linda.

    Dang! I searched the web, read tons of reviews, and bought a Pentax Optio
    S4 last weekend. Somehow the PMA didn't come up at all. Now I see that
    Pentax is releasing a S4i. The differences in features don't bother me, but
    the possible drop in price of the S4 sure does! Oh well, just like any
    technology toy; as soon as I buy it the price goes down.

    I am really happy with the S4 so far. I find the image quality to be
    acceptable and the portability to be excellent.

    Charles Perry P.E.
    Charles Perry, Feb 7, 2004
  9. Thanks for your advice regarding the PMA, Linda. I will wait a bit
    before purchasing a new camera. I was wondering if it would be a good
    idea to replace my Fuji A201 until I lost it... Well, now I know I
    have to replace it. I hesitate between the Pentax S4 and the Cannon
    A70. I tend more toward the Pentax S4 because of its size- you can put
    it in your pocket, but not the A70.

    Denis

    Denis Morissette, Feb 29, 2004