  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Any users here?

    GraB, Jun 27, 2005

  2. GraB

    max barwell Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:33:07 +1200, GraB wrote:

    > Any users here?

    Yeah Ive used it a bit, seems really good, only in a domestic capacity
    unfortunately though.

    max

    max barwell, Jun 27, 2005

  3. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:27:23 +1200, max barwell
    <maxbar@*nospam*xtra.co.nz> wrote:

    >On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:33:07 +1200, GraB wrote:
    >
    >> Any users here?

    >Yeah Ive used it a bit, seems really good, only in a domestic capacity
    >unfortunately though.
    >
    >max

    You should read the write-up.

    GraB, Jun 27, 2005
  4. GraB wrote:
    > Any users here?

    Thanks for the info
    I'll go and buy it today
    cheers
    GC

    @clear.net.nz-virus@.clear.net.nz, Jun 27, 2005
  5. GraB

    max barwell Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:30:07 +1200, GraB wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:27:23 +1200, max barwell
    > <maxbar@*nospam*xtra.co.nz> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 23:33:07 +1200, GraB wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any users here?

    >>Yeah Ive used it a bit, seems really good, only in a domestic capacity
    >>unfortunately though.
    >>
    >>max

    > You should read the write-up.

    Heh, I can see a misunderstanding there, to be clear I meant it seemed
    really good, but I haven't had the chance to try it anywhere but on my
    home pc, so I couldn't really test many of the features that would make it
    awesome in a commercial environment.

    Max

    max barwell, Jun 27, 2005
  6. GraB

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:30:07 +1200, GraB wrote:

    >>Yeah Ive used it a bit, seems really good, only in a domestic capacity
    >>unfortunately though.

    > You should read the write-up.

    Not wanting to go out and find/buy the mag, what was the general gist of
    it?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 27, 2005
  7. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 09:34:18 +1200, "AD." <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:30:07 +1200, GraB wrote:
    >
    >>>Yeah Ive used it a bit, seems really good, only in a domestic capacity
    >>>unfortunately though.

    >> You should read the write-up.

    >Not wanting to go out and find/buy the mag, what was the general gist of
    >it?

    Haven't bought it yet, myself, but this from their website:

    The full OS !! If you've ever wanted to experience the kind of
    advanced Unix OS that can run anything from a single PC to huge
    multiprocessor network servers, there's no better time than to install
    Solaris 10 from our cover DVD. Save yourself a multi-gigabyte Internet
    download.

    Sun Microsystems Australia is providing APC readers with free tech
    support while the July magazine is on sale.

    GraB, Jun 28, 2005
  8. GraB

    S Roby Guest

    A few reviews here
    http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=solaris

    Heres one summary I found( a bit wishy washy but...)

    "Solaris 10 is a strong player for Sun’s traditional markets, and will be a
    compelling upgrade for existing Solaris and SunOS customers during the next 18
    months, however, it still has some identity crisis issues when targeting
    existing Linux customers. It will take some marketing, and exposure to bring
    in those users. The MacOS X and Windows customers are an even harder sell, as
    the one glaring area that Solaris 10 doesn’t address is manageability. The
    easy to use tools for managing the enormous power under the hood simply are
    not there today."

    Its only $8 for the mag, unfortunately its $8 wasted if you dont use the disk.
    PC mags are getting less & less usefull, just rehashing the same stuff.

    If anyone tries it, can they post there thoughts??

    S Roby, Jun 28, 2005
  9. GraB

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 05:43:17 +0000, S Roby wrote:

    > A few reviews here
    > http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=solaris
    >
    > Heres one summary I found( a bit wishy washy but...)
    >
    > "Solaris 10 is a strong player for SunÂ’s traditional markets, and will be a
    > compelling upgrade for existing Solaris and SunOS customers during the next 18
    > months, however, it still has some identity crisis issues when targeting
    > existing Linux customers. It will take some marketing, and exposure to bring
    > in those users. The MacOS X and Windows customers are an even harder sell, as
    > the one glaring area that Solaris 10 doesnÂ’t address is manageability. The
    > easy to use tools for managing the enormous power under the hood simply are
    > not there today."
    >
    > Its only $8 for the mag, unfortunately its $8 wasted if you dont use the disk.
    > PC mags are getting less & less usefull, just rehashing the same stuff.
    >
    > If anyone tries it, can they post there thoughts??

    I downloaded it and tried it a couple months back..
    friggin thing didnt detect my onboard NIC so I gave up on it :-|
    The Desktop is Gnome + Java and looks very slick
    It uses pkg_add for installing apps (BSD ppl know this proggy, and debian
    ppl have apt-get which is similar) which makes life slightly easy
    however it was a royal PITA to work with, I had to find a site for linux
    apps that had been ported to solaris, just to get it halfway useable (IMO)
    I realised all I was doing was trying to make solaris 10.0 into a linux
    distro so didnt appreciate it at all
    For people with a bit more nous than I, the mindset *has* to be
    "I like solaris, ooo and with a bit of effort I can get some Linux apps on
    it*
    I also found that the paths are all different from linux, so it was a
    nightmare at first trying to find stuff

    One more whinge :)
    The install... I needed ~9-10 GIG for a full install, and I couldnt use My
    linux swap partitions
    I _still_ havent figured out wtf I had installed that required such a big
    partition and I never will.... I wiped it and put FreeBSD 5.4 on that
    partition a couple weeks back :)
    (Oh and.. I keep trying to turn that into a linux distro as well so it
    hasnt had a lot of uptime :-\

    I should really get a hobby :)

    Shane, Jun 28, 2005
  10. GraB

    Chris Hope Guest

    S Roby wrote:

    > A few reviews here
    > http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=solaris
    >
    > Heres one summary I found( a bit wishy washy but...)
    >
    > "Solaris 10 is a strong player for Sun’s traditional markets, and will
    > be a compelling upgrade for existing Solaris and SunOS customers
    > during the next 18 months, however, it still has some identity crisis
    > issues when targeting existing Linux customers. It will take some
    > marketing, and exposure to bring in those users. The MacOS X and
    > Windows customers are an even harder sell, as the one glaring area
    > that Solaris 10 doesn’t address is manageability. The easy to use
    > tools for managing the enormous power under the hood simply are not
    > there today."
    >
    > Its only $8 for the mag, unfortunately its $8 wasted if you dont use
    > the disk. PC mags are getting less & less usefull, just rehashing the
    > same stuff.

    And APC is pretty just ads with a few articles thrown in to make it look
    like a PC magazine.

    Chris Hope, Jun 28, 2005
  11. GraB

    Chris Hope Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 05:43:17 +0000, S Roby wrote:
    >
    >> A few reviews here
    >> http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=solaris
    >>
    >> Heres one summary I found( a bit wishy washy but...)
    >>
    >> "Solaris 10 is a strong player for Sun’s traditional markets, and
    >> will be a compelling upgrade for existing Solaris and SunOS customers
    >> during the next 18 months, however, it still has some identity crisis
    >> issues when targeting existing Linux customers. It will take some
    >> marketing, and exposure to bring in those users. The MacOS X and
    >> Windows customers are an even harder sell, as the one glaring area
    >> that Solaris 10 doesn’t address is manageability. The easy to use
    >> tools for managing the enormous power under the hood simply are not
    >> there today."
    >>
    >> Its only $8 for the mag, unfortunately its $8 wasted if you dont use
    >> the disk. PC mags are getting less & less usefull, just rehashing the
    >> same stuff.
    >>
    >> If anyone tries it, can they post there thoughts??

    > I downloaded it and tried it a couple months back..
    > friggin thing didnt detect my onboard NIC so I gave up on it :-|
    > The Desktop is Gnome + Java and looks very slick
    > It uses pkg_add for installing apps (BSD ppl know this proggy, and
    > debian ppl have apt-get which is similar) which makes life slightly
    > easy however it was a royal PITA to work with, I had to find a site
    > for linux apps that had been ported to solaris, just to get it halfway
    > useable (IMO) I realised all I was doing was trying to make solaris
    > 10.0 into a linux distro so didnt appreciate it at all
    > For people with a bit more nous than I, the mindset *has* to be
    > "I like solaris, ooo and with a bit of effort I can get some Linux
    > apps on it*
    > I also found that the paths are all different from linux, so it was a
    > nightmare at first trying to find stuff
    >
    > One more whinge :)
    > The install... I needed ~9-10 GIG for a full install, and I couldnt
    > use My linux swap partitions
    > I _still_ havent figured out wtf I had installed that required such a
    > big partition and I never will.... I wiped it and put FreeBSD 5.4 on
    > that partition a couple weeks back :)
    > (Oh and.. I keep trying to turn that into a linux distro as well so it
    > hasnt had a lot of uptime :-\
    >

    > I should really get a hobby :)

    Sounds like you should just stick to Linux if you keep trying to make
    the others like Linux ;) Did you try making Windows like a Linux
    distro too?

    Chris Hope, Jun 28, 2005
  12. GraB

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:50:09 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 05:43:17 +0000, S Roby wrote:
    >>
    >>> A few reviews here
    >>> http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=solaris
    >>>
    >>> Heres one summary I found( a bit wishy washy but...)
    >>>
    >>> "Solaris 10 is a strong player for SunÂ’s traditional markets, and
    >>> will be a compelling upgrade for existing Solaris and SunOS customers
    >>> during the next 18 months, however, it still has some identity crisis
    >>> issues when targeting existing Linux customers. It will take some
    >>> marketing, and exposure to bring in those users. The MacOS X and
    >>> Windows customers are an even harder sell, as the one glaring area
    >>> that Solaris 10 doesnÂ’t address is manageability. The easy to use
    >>> tools for managing the enormous power under the hood simply are not
    >>> there today."
    >>>
    >>> Its only $8 for the mag, unfortunately its $8 wasted if you dont use
    >>> the disk. PC mags are getting less & less usefull, just rehashing the
    >>> same stuff.
    >>>
    >>> If anyone tries it, can they post there thoughts??

    >> I downloaded it and tried it a couple months back..
    >> friggin thing didnt detect my onboard NIC so I gave up on it :-|
    >> The Desktop is Gnome + Java and looks very slick
    >> It uses pkg_add for installing apps (BSD ppl know this proggy, and
    >> debian ppl have apt-get which is similar) which makes life slightly
    >> easy however it was a royal PITA to work with, I had to find a site
    >> for linux apps that had been ported to solaris, just to get it halfway
    >> useable (IMO) I realised all I was doing was trying to make solaris
    >> 10.0 into a linux distro so didnt appreciate it at all
    >> For people with a bit more nous than I, the mindset *has* to be
    >> "I like solaris, ooo and with a bit of effort I can get some Linux
    >> apps on it*
    >> I also found that the paths are all different from linux, so it was a
    >> nightmare at first trying to find stuff
    >>
    >> One more whinge :)
    >> The install... I needed ~9-10 GIG for a full install, and I couldnt
    >> use My linux swap partitions
    >> I _still_ havent figured out wtf I had installed that required such a
    >> big partition and I never will.... I wiped it and put FreeBSD 5.4 on
    >> that partition a couple weeks back :)
    >> (Oh and.. I keep trying to turn that into a linux distro as well so it
    >> hasnt had a lot of uptime :-\
    >>

    >> I should really get a hobby :)

    > Sounds like you should just stick to Linux if you keep trying to make
    > the others like Linux ;) Did you try making Windows like a Linux
    > distro too?

    Heh.. one of the reasons I dropped windows was I couldnt use the *nix apps
    I wanted to on it :) (so thats a yes I think)
    for me the killer app was nmap but that changes as things go by
    This gives me the chance to say...
    Im not ANTI-Windows per say, I started out on x86 on Windows after all,
    but it really doesnt do anything for me now, not like Linux :)
    The only OS I havent tried to Linuxerise is/was OpenBSD, and thats only
    because I run it headless...
    hmm actually, that might be a good project for the weekend :)

    Shane, Jun 28, 2005
  13. GraB

    Chris Hope Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:50:09 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> Shane wrote:

    >>> I downloaded it and tried it a couple months back..
    >>> friggin thing didnt detect my onboard NIC so I gave up on it :-|
    >>> The Desktop is Gnome + Java and looks very slick
    >>> It uses pkg_add for installing apps (BSD ppl know this proggy, and
    >>> debian ppl have apt-get which is similar) which makes life slightly
    >>> easy however it was a royal PITA to work with, I had to find a site
    >>> for linux apps that had been ported to solaris, just to get it
    >>> halfway useable (IMO) I realised all I was doing was trying to make
    >>> solaris 10.0 into a linux distro so didnt appreciate it at all
    >>> For people with a bit more nous than I, the mindset *has* to be
    >>> "I like solaris, ooo and with a bit of effort I can get some Linux
    >>> apps on it*
    >>> I also found that the paths are all different from linux, so it was
    >>> a nightmare at first trying to find stuff
    >>>
    >>> One more whinge :)
    >>> The install... I needed ~9-10 GIG for a full install, and I couldnt
    >>> use My linux swap partitions
    >>> I _still_ havent figured out wtf I had installed that required such
    >>> a big partition and I never will.... I wiped it and put FreeBSD 5.4
    >>> on that partition a couple weeks back :)
    >>> (Oh and.. I keep trying to turn that into a linux distro as well so
    >>> it hasnt had a lot of uptime :-\
    >>>

    >>> I should really get a hobby :)

    >> Sounds like you should just stick to Linux if you keep trying to make
    >> the others like Linux ;) Did you try making Windows like a Linux
    >> distro too?

    > Heh.. one of the reasons I dropped windows was I couldnt use the *nix
    > apps I wanted to on it :) (so thats a yes I think)
    > for me the killer app was nmap but that changes as things go by

    Can't you get nmap for windows? I would have thought at the very least
    it could be run under cygwin. But then I suppose cygwin is Linuxise-ing
    windows anyway. I once managed to get KDE running on cygwin on windows.
    It was super slow but I was impressed I got it to work!

    > This gives me the chance to say...
    > Im not ANTI-Windows per say, I started out on x86 on Windows after
    > all, but it really doesnt do anything for me now, not like Linux :)
    > The only OS I havent tried to Linuxerise is/was OpenBSD, and thats
    > only because I run it headless...
    > hmm actually, that might be a good project for the weekend :)

    So you already have an openbsd box?

    Chris Hope, Jun 28, 2005
  14. In article <d9qs8t$42q$>,
    Chris Hope <> wrote:

    >And APC is pretty just ads with a few articles thrown in to make it look
    >like a PC magazine.

    Hey, I like both APC and PC Authority. They're part of my regular
    monthly reading. Much more interesting than NZ PC World.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 28, 2005
  15. GraB

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:05:46 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    > Shane wrote:

    >>> Sounds like you should just stick to Linux if you keep trying to make
    >>> the others like Linux ;) Did you try making Windows like a Linux
    >>> distro too?

    >> Heh.. one of the reasons I dropped windows was I couldnt use the *nix
    >> apps I wanted to on it :) (so thats a yes I think)
    >> for me the killer app was nmap but that changes as things go by

    > Can't you get nmap for windows? I would have thought at the very least
    > it could be run under cygwin. But then I suppose cygwin is Linuxise-ing
    > windows anyway. I once managed to get KDE running on cygwin on windows.
    > It was super slow but I was impressed I got it to work!

    yeah theres an nmap for windows, but it pales in comparison to the *nix
    version (last time I played with it)
    cygwin is like wine.. I dont use it, I try to stay native :)
    I figure why try to run windows apps on *nix, and why try to run *nix apps
    on windows
    the only emulator I run is MAME ( and that runs better on
    windows than *nix, or at least last time I checked )

    >> This gives me the chance to say...
    >> Im not ANTI-Windows per say, I started out on x86 on Windows after all,
    >> but it really doesnt do anything for me now, not like Linux :) The
    >> only OS I havent tried to Linuxerise is/was OpenBSD, and thats only
    >> because I run it headless...
    >> hmm actually, that might be a good project for the weekend :)

    > So you already have an openbsd box?

    couple
    been running OpenBSD here for around a year, and 6 months as the firewall
    the first 6 months it was just there for bragging rights :)
    Ive also tried OpenBSD as a webserver, but that job really belongs to
    FreeBSD

    Shane, Jun 28, 2005
  16. In article <-a-geek.net>,
    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    >Ive also tried OpenBSD as a webserver, but that job really belongs to
    >FreeBSD

    How did they differ in terms of appropriateness for Web serving?

    Lawrence D’Oliveiro, Jun 28, 2005
  17. GraB

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:38:42 +1200, Lawrence D’Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <-a-geek.net>,
    > Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Ive also tried OpenBSD as a webserver, but that job really belongs to
    >>FreeBSD

    > How did they differ in terms of appropriateness for Web serving?

    For my humble POS website, not a great deal, but for anything above 3
    hits(thats total not per day), OpenBSD has too much overhead, and is
    'slower' than FreeBSD In fact the NZNOG in hamilton had a lecture on this
    very subject and they showed (with lots of pretty graphs) that which
    everyone had already assumed
    I think FreeBSD also has a record for amount of data transferred (I could
    be wrong see my sig:)

    Shane, Jun 28, 2005
  18. GraB

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 20:38:42 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <-a-geek.net>,
    > Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Ive also tried OpenBSD as a webserver, but that job really belongs to
    >>FreeBSD

    > How did they differ in terms of appropriateness for Web serving?

    OpenBSD would be better if security is more important than scalability,
    and your web apps are fairly vanilla (due to chrooting complexities etc).

    FreeBSD would be better for more complex (ie hard to install type stuff)
    web apps that need more scalability and a larger user base for app support.

    FreeBSD would be better for Java apps too, although I'd be inclined to use
    Linux for Java stuff.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 28, 2005
  19. GraB

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in news:ldo-
    :

    > Hey, I like both APC and PC Authority. They're part of my regular
    > monthly reading. Much more interesting than NZ PC World.

    Try to find a copy of Network Computing. They actually test stuff and then
    tell you what broke and why. I really miss my free subscription...

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 28, 2005
  20. In article <Xns9683E765586EDdaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>,
    Dave Taylor <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in news:ldo-
    >:
    >
    >> Hey, I like both APC and PC Authority. They're part of my regular
    >> monthly reading. Much more interesting than NZ PC World.
    >>

    >Try to find a copy of Network Computing. They actually test stuff and then
    >tell you what broke and why.

    I don't think I've ever seen that in the shops.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jun 29, 2005