    to DSL?

    Thank you,

    jm
    JM, Aug 6, 2005

  2. www.BradReese.Com, Aug 6, 2005

  3. JM

    Scooby Guest

    "JM" <> wrote in message
    news:297Je.49805$...
    > I used the Cisco 1710 while telecommuting for my previous company. I no
    > longer have that router, and I need a replacement. Is the 1710 the best
    > (i.e., most affordable while supporting VPN and QoS) for cable modem? I
    > tried using the Cisco Product Advisor, but I see not option for cable

    modem
    > access. As for the WAN interface issue, is cable modem specific, in that
    > the router specifically has to support cable modem connectivity, as

    opposed
    > to DSL?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > jm

    You don't need anything specific for cable modems. Just a ethernet port.
    For general home use, the off the shelf items work great - linksys, belkin,
    netgear, etc... If you are looking for Cisco specifically or need the VPN
    and QOS, look at the SOHO routers, such as the 83x series - you don't need a
    17xx series router for home use.

    Hope that helps.

    Jim
    Scooby, Aug 6, 2005