    contract to upgrade my IOS. But, is this what Cisco demands?

    Thanks for the help.

    Curtis
    Shade, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Shade

    Artem Guest

    I didn't like CRWS because it has serious limitation, and default config
    is really horrible. Just look at CRWS firewall setting with open netbios
    ports. Also you won't be able to set connections from outside to an
    internal hosts without turning off the firewall. Finally all CRWS files
    are almost 2mb in size - almost half of the IOS image!

    I bought a book Cisco IOS from ORelly and started to use CLI, which is
    very flexible, althrough has text interface.

    Cisco doesn't allow upgrades unless you have a service plan or an
    agreement. The cheapest plan I could find costs 31 dollars from
    www.cdw.com (cdw product # 452075), which looks pretty reasonable for me
    for warranty, and one year support with upgrades.
    You still can upgrade CRWS without a service plan from ftp.cisco.com,
    but a new version looks the same.

    BTW, SDM should be installed instead of CRWS? Does it have better
    capabilities?

    Artem, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Shade

    Shade Guest

    As near as I can tell, SDM looks much more flexible than CRWS. CRWS
    requires that you not alter the standard network config for inside the
    network before it will work. Well, I have (I choose static NAT) and
    that has munged up my ability to access the CRWS.

    Maybe I'll get me an IOS book too. Couldn't be bad to know.

    Thanks a bunch for that service plan cdw #. I'm buying that right
    now...pretty reasonable.

    Shade, Feb 21, 2004