    my IBM Aptiva running the IBM supplied Windows '98. Poking around on Ebay,
    I've found several Office versions for auction. What do I need to look for or
    avoid? And why are some products sold with a "piece of computer hardware?"
    FBC3, Feb 28, 2004

  2. FBC3

    Thor Guest

    In order to comply with licensing restrictions, OEM software copies are
    often sold with some piece of "hardware", like an CD audio cable or some
    other insignificant part. OEM software is intended to be used for
    installation/inclusion with a new PC, therefore it is supposed to accompany
    some kind of PC hardware, but selling it with an even insignificant piece of
    hardware like a mere audio cable will usually satisfy the legal requirements
    for selling it. OEM software is usually devoid of hardcopy manuals, etc and
    support is supposed to be provided by the seller, not necessarily the
    software manufacturer. But the price savings is usually significant in going
    with an OEM copy rather than a retail boxed copy like you would pick up in a
    software store. For example, an OEM copy of Windows XP professional is
    usually around $140-160 but to buy it retail it's usually closer to $200 or
    more. Be careful of what you get on Ebay, there are lots of pirated copies
    out there. But good deals are to be had. Check the seller's feedback, and
    only do business with sellers with lots of history. The ones to watch out
    for are those with little or no feedback, as they are usually the riskiest.

    "FBC3" <> wrote in message
    > I'd like to obtain Microsoft Office (for Word, Excel, and Access) to

    install on

    Thor, Feb 28, 2004

  3. FBC3

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > In order to comply with licensing restrictions, OEM software copies are
    > often sold with some piece of "hardware", like an CD audio cable or some
    > other insignificant part. OEM software is intended to be used for
    > installation/inclusion with a new PC, therefore it is supposed to

    accompany
    > some kind of PC hardware, but selling it with an even insignificant piece

    of
    > hardware like a mere audio cable will usually satisfy the legal

    requirements
    > for selling it. OEM software is usually devoid of hardcopy manuals, etc

    and
    > support is supposed to be provided by the seller, not necessarily the
    > software manufacturer. But the price savings is usually significant in

    going
    > with an OEM copy rather than a retail boxed copy like you would pick up in

    > software store. For example, an OEM copy of Windows XP professional is
    > usually around $140-160 but to buy it retail it's usually closer to $200

    or
    > more. Be careful of what you get on Ebay, there are lots of pirated copies
    > out there. But good deals are to be had. Check the seller's feedback, and
    > only do business with sellers with lots of history. The ones to watch out
    > for are those with little or no feedback, as they are usually the

    riskiest.

    Just to add to the woes on eBay, scumbags are now high-jacking user accounts
    with loads of good feedback and using that assumed identity to rip-off
    bidders. I swore off eBay, it's just too much of a pain in the #!$.

    The last time I bid and won an item, I was spammed with a 12 scam emails
    asking me to log in and change my password because my account had been
    compromised. Naturally, the email came from a scammer and went to a dummy
    site that looked like eBay. There is even a exploit that can be used that
    makes the URL in your browser appear legit. Every grifter and scam artist
    has eBay in his cross hairs right now.
    Michael-NC, Feb 29, 2004