    you use (with links if possible) to enable diagnosis and repair on site.
    tia
    Frank
    fg, Dec 9, 2003

  2. fg

    jt Guest

    Hi Frank,

    I and many others have had the same questions. What I did was I went into
    google/groups and did various searches on "utilities", "diagnostics used",
    etc. There's a bunch of threads over the last few years with many folks
    putting in their ideas and favorites. My current list is (many are free and
    also have $-versions with more options):
    Doc Memory
    TuffTest
    Hard drive diag's (from Maxtor, Western Digital, etc)
    Powermax
    Key Finder
    Reg Clean
    AIDA 32
    PKZip
    F-Prot
    RNAV
    SymClean
    Adobe Acrobat
    AdAware
    Spybot
    Partion Magic
    Ghost and/or Drive Image
    Lost and Found
    NAV
    AVG
    PopUpStopper

    And I'm still adding to this. Sorry I don't currently have the links to
    them. Some of the previous threads had the links. And you can just do a
    google search on these names to locate them. (spellings may not be exactly
    correct on some of them....:)

    Hope that helps. Good luck!

    cheers
    jt
    A+

    "fg" <> wrote in message
    > although I am not A+ certified, I do get called by folks in my local
    > community to troubleshoot and fix their systems - usually it is a slow
    > retrieval/operationand could just use defragmenting, or they have
    > email/internet problems and I just have to reset their smtp or pop server
    > names.
    > I also often clean up temp files and other jusk with either JV16 Power

    Tools
    > and/or EasyCleaner (both are free). I have my own CD of Norton Utilities
    > which is useful for a quick Win Doctor check up and I can then uninstall

    it.
    > Sometimes I'll use it for Speed Disk (defragging) too. I also use Ad-aware
    > to seek and destroy spyware.
    > Sometimes someone cant even describe the problem to me - just says my

    system
    > is sooooo sloww and I think it has a virus (but they dont have an updated
    > anti virus and now cant get online ....and so on......or computer cant
    > shut down...
    > Question is - I'd like to increase my arsenal of utilities to deal with

    more

    jt, Dec 17, 2003

  3. fg

    fros Guest

    thanks for these jt

    --
    newsgroups signature

    fros, Dec 18, 2003
  4. fg

    hootnholler Guest

    JT, quite an impressive list! Even saw a few that I'll have to give a go.

    Just a quick addition, keep some of the bootup floppies on hand, just in
    case. Plus, I like to have a 'multi-os' cd, for the 9x versions. Makes
    installation go a lot smoother. Just copy the cabs off the cd to the hard
    drive, and away you go.

    One that I stumbled on, you all may find of interest, think I posted this
    earlier... To make a XP bootdisk: Need blank formatted floppy, put into
    drive. Open windows explorer, go to C: drive. If you are warned of hidden
    files, go to tools/folder options, click on view tab, make sure 'show hidden
    files and folders' is selected.
    Uncheck 'hide protected operating system files', then yes, then ok.
    Next, copy boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr to your floppy. Then you are
    ready to place floppy in drive and reboot.

    Sorry for the simplification, it's for a chat room I'm in.

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Dec 19, 2003