    span than 2 years and less than 50 burns. Can anyone recommend a stress
    tester or diagnostics program that can tell me the likely state of the
    drive.
    Gravel Rash, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Gravel Rash

    ooyah Guest

    "Gravel Rash" <> wrote in message
    news:3f0a9f26$0$...
    > I've recently upgraded a PC using parts from my existing systems.
    > Unfortunately, the new PC frequently freezes or generates errors when
    > attempting to install software from CD. I suspect a weak reader may be the
    > cause, but was hoping to run a few checks or tests on my drive (Ricoh

    7125a
    > CDRW) as it has had a fairly easy life and I was expecting a longer life
    > span than 2 years and less than 50 burns. Can anyone recommend a stress
    > tester or diagnostics program that can tell me the likely state of the
    > drive.

    hello

    most commercial cd recording software has a test option which simulates
    recording an image/files to a cd without ruining the blank cd - errors will
    be reported that maybe of help. failing that there is sisoft sandra, amidiag
    ( i'm sure there are plenty of others ) that are hardware diagnostic
    packages that could tell you something

    cheers
    ooyah, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Try another CD rom to see if the problem goes away.

    BananaPannaPoe, Jul 8, 2003
  4. Gravel Rash

    MTB Guest

    Try SiSoft Sandra Light, its free - you may find it available to download
    through CNET.COM

    Good luck with it,

    MTB, Jul 10, 2003