Software to rename photos using EXIF data

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Top Spin, Jan 7, 2005.

  1. Top Spin

    Top Spin Guest

    Can anyone recommend a program that will rename photo files using
    information from the EXIF data?

    I would like the resulting file name to be:

    nnn text mm-dd-yy hh:mm:ss sss

    where

    nnn = a sequential number (001, 002, 003, ...) for this set of photos
    in chronological order by EXIF time stamp

    text = any descriptive text I supply (eg, "Christmas morning, 2004")

    mm-dd-yy hh-mm-ss = EXIF time stamp

    sss = original photo number assigned by the camera.

    It need not be freeware, but I don't need photoshop.

    Thanks

    --
    Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
    OS: Win 2K
    Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
    (11/03/04)

    Top Spin, Jan 7, 2005

  2. Top Spin wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a program that will rename photo files using
    > information from the EXIF data?

    Try Picture Information Extractor:

    http://www.picmeta.com/

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 7, 2005

  3. "Top Spin" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Can anyone recommend a program that will rename photo files using
    > information from the EXIF data?
    >
    > I would like the resulting file name to be:
    >
    > nnn text mm-dd-yy hh:mm:ss sss
    >
    > where
    >
    > nnn = a sequential number (001, 002, 003, ...) for this set of photos
    > in chronological order by EXIF time stamp
    >
    > text = any descriptive text I supply (eg, "Christmas morning, 2004")
    >
    > mm-dd-yy hh-mm-ss = EXIF time stamp
    >
    > sss = original photo number assigned by the camera.
    >
    > It need not be freeware, but I don't need photoshop.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
    > OS: Win 2K
    > Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
    > (11/03/04)

    I am using Rename Master ver 2.4.3. and it works very well for renaming
    files based on Exif data.
    http://www.joejoesoft.com/rm.php

    Roland

    Roland Olsson, Jan 7, 2005
  4. Top Spin

    Bruce Uttley Guest

    JHEAD is a command line program for manipulating the Exif
    headers in JPEG images. The "-n" option will rename files
    according to the Exif header data. This freeware program
    will do what you want. See:
    http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/

    Bruce Uttley, Jan 7, 2005
  5. Top Spin wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a program that will rename photo files using
    > information from the EXIF data?
    >
    > I would like the resulting file name to be:
    >
    > nnn text mm-dd-yy hh:mm:ss sss

    I assume you're using nnn to achieve the correct order of the photos,
    but that won't be neccesary if you change your naming scheme a bit:

    yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss sss text

    That way all your photos will be in the correct chronological order.
    Separation by event can be done with folders.

    > sss = original photo number assigned by the camera.

    Why do you want to save this number?

    Toke Eskildsen, Jan 7, 2005
  6. Top Spin

    Top Spin Guest

    On 7 Jan 2005 15:12:22 GMT, Toke Eskildsen <>
    wrote:

    >Top Spin wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone recommend a program that will rename photo files using
    >> information from the EXIF data?
    >>
    >> I would like the resulting file name to be:
    >>
    >> nnn text mm-dd-yy hh:mm:ss sss

    >I assume you're using nnn to achieve the correct order of the photos,
    >but that won't be neccesary if you change your naming scheme a bit:
    >
    >yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss sss text

    I'm using nnn for that and also just to number the photos for each
    event. My wife does all of the album management. I just do the upload
    and the renaming. She likes to have then numbered 1, 2, 3, ... and I
    like to keep her happy! ;-)

    Also, if I use the nnn, then I don't have to use the yyyy-mm-dd format
    which my wife does not like. Again, keeping her happy. Life is so much
    smoother that way.

    >That way all your photos will be in the correct chronological order.
    >Separation by event can be done with folders.
    >
    >> sss = original photo number assigned by the camera.

    >Why do you want to save this number?

    Well, mainly just my obsessive-compulsive nature. No real good reason.
    But it doesn't take up much space and and I've stuck it on the end.

    I'm a pack rat. What can I say? I hate to throw anything away. ;-)

    --
    Using a Nikon Coolpix 4200
    OS: Win 2K
    Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
    (11/03/04)

    Top Spin, Jan 7, 2005
  7. >>I assume you're using nnn to achieve the correct order of the photos,
    >>but that won't be neccesary if you change your naming scheme a bit:

    This business of chronological order was one of the main reasons I set about
    writing my own photo software a couple of years back.

    With standard options, if you open a folder in PhotoMan (free download from
    http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sheppard/photoman/home.htm), my
    application will ignore the file name and Windows file date and will always
    display the photos in chronological order by EXIF date. The slideshow
    feature also shows in EXIF chronological order. If there's no EXIF info, it
    will use the Windows file date by default, but I try to avoid this
    situation. The package allows you to change the dates if you want to
    customise the order.

    My application was only a hobby project and I don't make many great claims
    for it, but this still seems to be one of its chief differentiators. I
    cannot understand why more upmarket photo software seems to be obsessed with
    file names and Windows dates in preference to the EXIF date when the EXIF
    date is the most reliable indicator of when a photo was taken.

    I certainly don't like sorting by file name because I like to rename my most
    interesting photos to indicate the subject matter. When perusing directory
    listings looking for a particular shot, "Granny falling into the Thames.jpg"
    is easier to find than "001-Gran-11.10.04.jpg" or whatever.

    Keith

    Keith Sheppard, Jan 10, 2005
  8. Keith Sheppard wrote:

    [PhotoMan]

    > I cannot understand why more upmarket photo software seems to be
    > obsessed with file names and Windows dates in preference to the EXIF
    > date when the EXIF date is the most reliable indicator of when a
    > photo was taken.

    No, but they are, and that's why I stick to the chronological naming.
    I use more than one program for accessing my photos and I prefer the
    ordering to be consistent between these programs.

    > I certainly don't like sorting by file name because I like to
    > rename my most interesting photos to indicate the subject matter.

    Yes, that's the everlasting problem, how to group photos. No perfect
    solution there, as long as we're using a hierarchical filestructure.

    > When perusing directory listings looking for a particular shot,
    > "Granny falling into the Thames.jpg" is easier to find than
    > "001-Gran-11.10.04.jpg" or whatever.

    For me, that would be
    20041110_1206_Granpa_eating_a_banana.jpg
    20041110_1209_Granpa_littering.jpg
    20041110_1210_Granny_falling_into_the_Thames.jpg
    20041110_1215_Rescue_Boat.jpg

    If I want to find the picture with granny and Thames, I would search
    for either of those words. But maybe I'm a special case (aren't we
    all?), since I use my photos for a diary: Chronological ordering is
    very important to me, in all image handling programs.

    Toke Eskildsen, Jan 10, 2005
  9. Among the wreckage we found a fragment on which Top Spin had scratched:

    > Can anyone recommend a program that will rename photo files using
    > information from the EXIF data?

    Look, can I say this as nicely as possible, without people getting upset?

    This is absolutely trivial on Linux or any other system that has
    scripting. Use "identify" to extract the exif data, then write a dozen
    lines or so of bash or TCL script to do the renaming according to any
    rules you want.

    Robert Billing, Jan 10, 2005
  10. Top Spin

    Cynicor Guest

    "Robert Billing" <> wrote in message
    > Among the wreckage we found a fragment on which Top Spin had scratched:
    >
    >> Can anyone recommend a program that will rename photo files using
    >> information from the EXIF data?

    > Look, can I say this as nicely as possible, without people getting upset?
    >
    > This is absolutely trivial on Linux or any other system that has
    > scripting. Use "identify" to extract the exif data, then write a dozen
    > lines or so of bash or TCL script to do the renaming according to any
    > rules you want.

    Man, if only SOME OTHER operating system had some sort of rudimentary
    scripting capabilities. We could give it some name like "Windows" and put it
    on millions of desktops....

    But seriously, http://wiki.shahine.com/default.aspx/MyWiki.PhotoLibrary has
    an encapsulated .NET Framework class that returns any EXIF data you'd like
    from a bitmap. It should be pretty trivial to write a program shell to do
    exactly what the OP wanted - I'll do it this weekend when I'm off deadline.

    Cynicor, Jan 10, 2005
  11. Robert Billing wrote:
    > Among the wreckage we found a fragment on which Top Spin had
    > scratched:
    >
    >> Can anyone recommend a program that will rename photo files using
    >> information from the EXIF data?

    > Look, can I say this as nicely as possible, without people getting
    > upset?
    >
    > This is absolutely trivial on Linux or any other system that has
    > scripting. Use "identify" to extract the exif data, then write a dozen
    > lines or so of bash or TCL script to do the renaming according to any
    > rules you want.

    It would be equally as easy to write a script on Windows to do the job,
    but some people either don't have the expertise or the time to write a
    script. They prefer a ready-packaged solution. For example, I should be
    capable of writing an e-mail program, but I prefer a ready-built solution.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 11, 2005