    and third, it is accepted as self-evident"
    (Arthur Schopenhauer)

    Temporarily breaking cover from the Mahboonkrong MBK Center in Bangkok
    hbird, Jun 22, 2011

  2. hbird <> wrote:
    > Some of my holiday photos are out of focus. I want some software to
    > resharpen the focus of my pix in the same way the Lytro camera does.

    > I'm using an EOS 550D. The pix are mostly close up and full length shots
    > of people.

    There's only 2 ways: Travel back in time and exchange (or rebuild)
    your 550D for a Lytro or similar camera, or travel back in time
    and tell youself to focus correctly in first place.

    Why?
    Because the 550D is not a light field camera.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Jun 22, 2011

  3. hbird

    Martin Brown Guest

    On 23/06/2011 10:00, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > In article<>, Wolfgang
    > Weisselberg says...
    >>> Some of my holiday photos are out of focus. I want some software to
    >>> resharpen the focus of my pix in the same way the Lytro camera does.

    >>> I'm using an EOS 550D. The pix are mostly close up and full length shots
    >>> of people.

    >> There's only 2 ways: Travel back in time and exchange (or rebuild)
    >> your 550D for a Lytro or similar camera, or travel back in time
    >> and tell youself to focus correctly in first place.

    > I believe de-convolution software exists, although I've never tried it
    > myself.

    It does but the image has to obey some pretty restrictive constraints
    before the technique can work well enough to be worth it. Motion blur or
    camera shake can be handled fairly well which has applications for
    reading car number plates, but depth of field problems cannot.

    Most of the major deconvolution codes were developed for astronomy and
    as such have assumptions about the night sky built in at some level.
    Typically mostly dark sky with objects at infinity, optics are close to
    diffraction limited and a point spread function that known extremely
    accurately and is invariant across the image plane. In normal
    terrestrial photography almost none of these are safe assumptions.

    Lytro uses an interesting technique. I hope they can make money at it.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown
    Martin Brown, Jun 23, 2011
  4. hbird

    troppo Guest

    Alfred Molon <> wrote in

    > In article <>, Wolfgang
    > Weisselberg says...
    >> > Some of my holiday photos are out of focus. I want some software to
    >> > resharpen the focus of my pix in the same way the Lytro camera
    >> > does.

    >> > I'm using an EOS 550D. The pix are mostly close up and full length
    >> > shots of people.

    >> There's only 2 ways: Travel back in time and exchange (or rebuild)
    >> your 550D for a Lytro or similar camera, or travel back in time
    >> and tell youself to focus correctly in first place.

    > I believe de-convolution software exists, although I've never tried it
    > myself.

    Yep - there's 8bf plugins for Photoshop etc. Focus Magic is trial but only
    for 8 images. Few years ago I used a plugin to fix some old monochromes
    with people in them, and a wildlife shot in colour. Nothing that's free was
    good enough for people, only buildings etc.
    troppo, Jun 23, 2011
  5. On Jun 22, 12:02 pm, hbird <> wrote:
    > Some of my holiday photos are out of focus. I want some software to
    > resharpen the focus of my pix in the same way the Lytro camera does.

    Can't really be done; ordinary cameras don't capture
    the full light-field, so the information just isn't present.

    That said, Focus Magic can do some good in that
    case. Camera shake is easier to fix, but even
    actual out-of-focus can be improved slightly.

    Emphasis on "slightly". I've sometimes moved
    a picture from "unusable" to "usable" by careful,
    often masked, application of Focus Magic.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jun 23, 2011
  6. hbird

    hbird Guest

    David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    > On Jun 22, 12:02 pm, hbird <> wrote:
    >> Some of my holiday photos are out of focus. I want some software
    >> to resharpen the focus of my pix in the same way the Lytro
    >> camera does.

    > Can't really be done; ordinary cameras don't capture
    > the full light-field, so the information just isn't present.
    >
    > That said, Focus Magic can do some good in that
    > case. Camera shake is easier to fix, but even
    > actual out-of-focus can be improved slightly.
    >
    > Emphasis on "slightly". I've sometimes moved
    > a picture from "unusable" to "usable" by careful,
    > often masked, application of Focus Magic.

    Focus Magic doesn't sharpen pix much if the subjects don't have sharp
    edges.

    My pix have a lot of skin and body in them. I'm not going back to
    Thailand or Brasil to risk being arrested to retake the pix. I need
    some good software.

    hb
    (the REAL hummingbird)
    --
    "All truth passes through three stages.
    First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed,

    hbird, Jun 23, 2011
  7. hbird

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:15:06 +0200, hbird wrote:

    > David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
    >
    >> On Jun 22, 12:02 pm, hbird <> wrote:
    >>> Some of my holiday photos are out of focus. I want some software to
    >>> resharpen the focus of my pix in the same way the Lytro camera does.

    >> Can't really be done; ordinary cameras don't capture the full
    >> light-field, so the information just isn't present.
    >>
    >> That said, Focus Magic can do some good in that case. Camera shake is
    >> easier to fix, but even actual out-of-focus can be improved slightly.
    >>
    >> Emphasis on "slightly". I've sometimes moved a picture from "unusable"
    >> to "usable" by careful, often masked, application of Focus Magic.

    > Focus Magic doesn't sharpen pix much if the subjects don't have sharp
    > edges.
    >
    > My pix have a lot of skin and body in them. I'm not going back to
    > Thailand or Brasil to risk being arrested to retake the pix. I need some
    > good software.

    Ever hear the old saying: "can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".
    If you don't have the data there, you can't manufacture it.

    ray, Jun 23, 2011
  8. hbird

    hbird Guest

    ray wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 19:15:06 +0200, hbird wrote:
    >
    >> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

    >>> Can't really be done; ordinary cameras don't capture the full
    >>> light-field, so the information just isn't present.
    >>>
    >>> That said, Focus Magic can do some good in that case. Camera
    >>> shake is easier to fix, but even actual out-of-focus can be
    >>> improved slightly.
    >>>
    >>> Emphasis on "slightly". I've sometimes moved a picture from
    >>> "unusable" to "usable" by careful, often masked, application
    >>> of Focus Magic.

    >> Focus Magic doesn't sharpen pix much if the subjects don't
    >> have sharp edges.
    >>
    >> My pix have a lot of skin and body in them. I'm not going
    >> back to Thailand or Brasil to risk being arrested to retake
    >> the pix. I need some good software.

    > Ever hear the old saying: "can't make a silk purse out of a
    > sow's ear". If you don't have the data there, you can't
    > manufacture it.

    It's not animal sex with pigs or anything like that. Just ladyboys and
    youngsters having fun.

    I used to sell out of focus shots as if they were deliberately soft
    focus but now the porn market is mostly for sharp & clear images.

    The focus on this sequence starts bad even on the opening outdoor
    shots. Indoors the focus gets worse. Maybe the autofocus is faulty.
    http://i32.tinypic.com/mr7a1e.jpg

    hb
    (the REAL hummingbird)

    hbird, Jun 24, 2011
  9. hbird

    Guest

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 19:02:59 +0200 (CEST), hbird <>
    wrote:

    >Some of my holiday photos are out of focus. I want some software to
    >resharpen the focus of my pix in the same way the Lytro camera does.
    >
    >I'm using an EOS 550D. The pix are mostly close up and full length shots
    >of people.
    >
    >hb
    >(the REAL hummingbird)

    There's a refocus plug in for Photoshop. There's also one for
    Gimp, but I've tried it and it doesn't seem to work, although I've
    heard the one for Photoshop is very good.
    , Jun 25, 2011
  10. hbird

    Guest

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 12:27:23 +0200 (CEST), hbird <>
    wrote:

    >ray wrote:

    >>> Focus Magic doesn't sharpen pix much if the subjects don't
    >>> have sharp edges.
    >>>
    >>> My pix have a lot of skin and body in them. I'm not going
    >>> back to Thailand or Brasil to risk being arrested to retake
    >>> the pix. I need some good software.

    >> Ever hear the old saying: "can't make a silk purse out of a
    >> sow's ear". If you don't have the data there, you can't
    >> manufacture it.

    >It's not animal sex with pigs or anything like that. Just ladyboys and
    >youngsters having fun.
    >
    >I used to sell out of focus shots as if they were deliberately soft
    >focus but now the porn market is mostly for sharp & clear images.
    >
    >The focus on this sequence starts bad even on the opening outdoor
    >shots. Indoors the focus gets worse. Maybe the autofocus is faulty.
    >http://i32.tinypic.com/mr7a1e.jpg
    >
    >hb
    >(the REAL hummingbird)

    Fuckin' pervert. I hope you do get arrested.
    , Jun 25, 2011
  11. hbird

    John Turco Guest

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote:

    > > hbird <> wrote:
    > > Some of my holiday photos are out of focus. I want some software to
    > > resharpen the focus of my pix in the same way the Lytro camera does.
    > >
    > > I'm using an EOS 550D. The pix are mostly close up and full length
    > > shots of people.

    > There's only 2 ways: Travel back in time and exchange (or rebuild)
    > your 550D for a Lytro or similar camera, or travel back in time
    > and tell youself to focus correctly in first place.
    >
    > Why?
    > Because the 550D is not a light field camera.
    >
    > -Wolfgang

    Don't be fooled! It's yet >another< trick, by the ""Hummingbird"
    troll and/or his "sock puppets" (and/or his impersonators).

    The hallmarks are ridiculous requests (as per this subject thread)
    and cross-posts to <news:alt.comp.freeware> (which I've deleted
    from the message headers).

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>