    display format of OE. Is there any other software that will display the
    folders, files and newsgroup messages that I saved from the previous
    incarnation of OE before I had to reload the software?
    SS, Apr 14, 2006

  2. SS

    Dan Evans Guest

    "SS" <> wrote in message
    news:4bJ%f.13588$...
    >I have some outlook express 6 mail files from my crashed computer. I cannot
    > re-import them to OE as I did not back them up.

    Yes you can, backuping up makes no difference to the .dbx files, import
    them. File->Import->Messages->OE6

    then navigate to the folder with the .dbx files

    MailNavigator will access

    Dan Evans, Apr 14, 2006

  3. SS

    dadiOH Guest

    SS wrote:
    > I have some outlook express 6 mail files from my crashed computer. I
    > cannot re-import them to OE as I did not back them up. MailNavigator
    > will access them but I find the user interface difficult to use
    > compared with the display format of OE. Is there any other software
    > that will display the folders, files and newsgroup messages that I
    > saved from the previous incarnation of OE before I had to reload the
    > software?

    Just opening them (click on) should open them in OE.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Apr 14, 2006
  4. SS

    Gordon Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Dan Evans wrote:
    >> "SS"

    >>> I have some outlook express 6 mail files from my crashed computer. I
    >>> cannot re-import them to OE as I did not back them up.

    >> Yes you can, backuping up makes no difference to the .dbx files,
    >> import them. File->Import->Messages->OE6

    > Insert check the radio button for 'From an OE store directory' instead
    > of the default from an OE identity.
    >
    >> then navigate to the folder with the .dbx files

    And neither of those will work if the OP did not backup the folders.dbx
    file.
    Gordon, Apr 14, 2006
  5. SS

    Gordon Guest

    dadiOH wrote:
    > SS wrote:
    >> I have some outlook express 6 mail files from my crashed computer. I
    >> cannot re-import them to OE as I did not back them up. MailNavigator
    >> will access them but I find the user interface difficult to use
    >> compared with the display format of OE. Is there any other software
    >> that will display the folders, files and newsgroup messages that I
    >> saved from the previous incarnation of OE before I had to reload the
    >> software?

    > Just opening them (click on) should open them in OE.

    No it won't - they have to be imported into OE.
    Gordon, Apr 14, 2006
  6. SS

    Gordon Guest

    SS wrote:
    > I have some outlook express 6 mail files from my crashed computer. I
    > cannot re-import them to OE as I did not back them up.

    So where are these files if you didn't back them up, and why cannot you
    import them into OE?
    Gordon, Apr 14, 2006
  7. SS

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter, Apr 14, 2006
  8. SS

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> Dan Evans wrote:
    >>> "SS"

    >>> Yes you can, backuping up makes no difference to the .dbx files,
    >>> import them. File->Import->Messages->OE6

    >> Insert check the radio button for 'From an OE store directory' instead
    >> of the default from an OE identity.
    >>
    >>> then navigate to the folder with the .dbx files

    > And neither of those will work if the OP did not backup the folders.dbx
    > file.

    I've never backed it, but imported the mail with every reinstall. If it's
    *missing* then yes, the OP is screwed.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 14, 2006
  9. SS

    Gordon Guest

    Dan Evans wrote:

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> Mike Easter wrote:

    >>> Insert check the radio button for 'From an OE store directory' instead
    >>> of the default from an OE identity.

    >> And neither of those will work if the OP did not backup the folders.dbx
    >> file.

    > I've never backed it, but imported the mail with every reinstall. If it's
    > *missing* then yes, the OP is screwed.
    >
    > Dan

    No he's not screwed - it just is a bit laborious to get the mail folders
    back into OE!

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon, Apr 14, 2006
  10. SS

    dadiOH Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > dadiOH wrote:
    >> SS wrote:
    >>> I have some outlook express 6 mail files from my crashed computer. I
    >>> cannot re-import them to OE as I did not back them up. MailNavigator
    >>> will access them but I find the user interface difficult to use
    >>> compared with the display format of OE. Is there any other software
    >>> that will display the folders, files and newsgroup messages that I
    >>> saved from the previous incarnation of OE before I had to reload the
    >>> software?

    >> Just opening them (click on) should open them in OE.

    > No it won't - they have to be imported into OE.

    Oh.

    So I should stop clicking on saved email/news messages archived in zip
    files on CDs so that OE opens them? Gee, all these years I've been
    doing that and I didn't know that I had to "import" them into
    OE...figured the file extension association with OE would do the trick.
    That assumes, of course, that the OP has his mail stuff in the form of
    files - individual files - and not just a dbx.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Apr 15, 2006
  11. SS

    Gordon Guest

    dadiOH wrote:

    > Gordon wrote:
    >> dadiOH wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Just opening them (click on) should open them in OE.

    >> No it won't - they have to be imported into OE.

    > Oh.
    >
    > So I should stop clicking on saved email/news messages archived in zip
    > files on CDs so that OE opens them? Gee, all these years I've been
    > doing that and I didn't know that I had to "import" them into
    > OE...figured the file extension association with OE would do the trick.
    > That assumes, of course, that the OP has his mail stuff in the form of
    > files - individual files - and not just a dbx.

    The OP said FILES not messages. yes, you can open saved MESSAGES but not
    saved FILES.

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon, Apr 15, 2006
  12. SS

    dadiOH Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > dadiOH wrote:
    >
    >> Gordon wrote:

    >>> No it won't - they have to be imported into OE.

    >> Oh.
    >>
    >> So I should stop clicking on saved email/news messages archived in
    >> zip files on CDs so that OE opens them? Gee, all these years I've
    >> been doing that and I didn't know that I had to "import" them into
    >> OE...figured the file extension association with OE would do the
    >> trick. That assumes, of course, that the OP has his mail stuff in
    >> the form of files - individual files - and not just a dbx.
    >>

    > The OP said FILES not messages. yes, you can open saved MESSAGES but
    > not saved FILES.

    Not to argue, but when a message is saved it *is* a file. How many
    people know that the messages in OE are one big file per OE folder? No
    one can really tell from the OP's post whether he is talking about dbx
    files or saved message files although he *did* say that he "saved" them.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Apr 15, 2006
  13. SS

    Dan Evans Guest

    "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> dadiOH wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Just opening them (click on) should open them in OE.

    >> No it won't - they have to be imported into OE.

    > Oh.
    >
    > So I should stop clicking on saved email/news messages archived in zip
    > files on CDs so that OE opens them?

    ..eml and .nws open with OE no problem, .dbx have to be associated with OE,
    and clicking them only opens OE, not the actual "folder"

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Apr 15, 2006
  14. SS

    Mike Easter Guest

    SS wrote:
    > I have some outlook express 6 mail files from my crashed computer. I
    > cannot re-import them to OE as I did not back them up. MailNavigator
    > will access them but I find the user interface difficult to use
    > compared with the display format of OE. Is there any other software
    > that will display the folders, files and newsgroup messages that I
    > saved from the previous incarnation of OE before I had to reload the
    > software?

    You might like OEX better than MailNavigator

    http://www.oehelp.com/OEX/Default.aspx OEX is a complimentary program
    to Microsoft®'s Outlook Express (OE) that provides enhanced message
    processing features not present in OE. Such features can allow the user
    to synchronize message stores between computers and maximize the
    efficiency of their email message data.

    OEX's developer Stephen Cochran is the developer of DBXtract and DBXtend
    http://www.oehelp.com/Default.aspx

    also OEBackup, OETool and others.

    --
    Mike Easter