Software to print contact sheet with very detailed EXIF data

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Renee, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. Renee

    Renee Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I've searched all the Internet sites and previous ng posts but have not
    found any software to do what I want.

    I took a lot of pictures over the holidays of my Christmas tree and of
    people in a low light room using various settings on my camera. There were
    just candles, a single lamp, and a Christmas tree that was all lit up. I
    wanted to find the best combination of settings.

    Now I want an easy way to compare all the settings of the best photos.

    I really like the ZoomBrowser / PhotoRecord feature that prints some of the
    EXIF data on a contact sheet of prints. It includes basic stuff like shutter
    speed, aperture setting, exposure compensation, focal length, and flash.

    But it's missing a lot of important data. In particular I would like to find
    software that also prints the following on contact sheets:

    Shooting Mode such as Program, Night, Auto, etc
    Light Metering such Evaluative, Spot, etc
    ISO Speed such as Auto, 50, etc
    White Balance such as Auto, Tungsten, etc
    AF Mode such as Manual Focus, Auto
    Photo Effect such as Vibrant, Low Sharpening, etc

    Does anyone know of any software that would print these items along with the
    thumbnail images?

    I have so many images to evaluate that copying and pasting the EXIF is not
    an option. And I know most people would be happy with settling for the ones
    that came out great. But I want to know all the settings I used so I can
    repeat this in similar circumstances.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

    Renee

    Renee, Jan 3, 2005

  2. Renee

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:03:05 GMT, "Renee" <> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I've searched all the Internet sites and previous ng posts but have not
    >found any software to do what I want.
    >
    >I took a lot of pictures over the holidays of my Christmas tree and of
    >people in a low light room using various settings on my camera. There were
    >just candles, a single lamp, and a Christmas tree that was all lit up. I
    >wanted to find the best combination of settings.
    >
    >Now I want an easy way to compare all the settings of the best photos.
    >
    >I really like the ZoomBrowser / PhotoRecord feature that prints some of the
    >EXIF data on a contact sheet of prints. It includes basic stuff like shutter
    >speed, aperture setting, exposure compensation, focal length, and flash.
    >
    >But it's missing a lot of important data. In particular I would like to find
    >software that also prints the following on contact sheets:
    >
    >Shooting Mode such as Program, Night, Auto, etc
    >Light Metering such Evaluative, Spot, etc
    >ISO Speed such as Auto, 50, etc
    >White Balance such as Auto, Tungsten, etc
    >AF Mode such as Manual Focus, Auto
    >Photo Effect such as Vibrant, Low Sharpening, etc
    >
    >Does anyone know of any software that would print these items along with the
    >thumbnail images?
    >
    >I have so many images to evaluate that copying and pasting the EXIF is not
    >an option. And I know most people would be happy with settling for the ones
    >that came out great. But I want to know all the settings I used so I can
    >repeat this in similar circumstances.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    >
    >Renee

    http://www.tawbaware.com/thumber.htm

    It's clunky in a way- you use the program to generate an html page of
    thumbnails. But you can select pretty well any piece of the exif
    information that you want to be included under the thumbnail. It's
    been a while since I used it; I think that finding and selecting the
    exif selection was a bit of search through some submenu. Maybe the
    interface has been cleaned up since the 2.xx version.

    Dan Daniel, Jan 3, 2005

  3. Renee

    Renee Guest

    "Dan Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:03:05 GMT, "Renee" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi everyone,
    >>
    >>I've searched all the Internet sites and previous ng posts but have not
    >>found any software to do what I want.

    <snip>

    >>In particular I would like to find
    >>software that also prints the following on contact sheets:
    >>
    >>Shooting Mode such as Program, Night, Auto, etc
    >>Light Metering such Evaluative, Spot, etc
    >>ISO Speed such as Auto, 50, etc
    >>White Balance such as Auto, Tungsten, etc
    >>AF Mode such as Manual Focus, Auto
    >>Photo Effect such as Vibrant, Low Sharpening, etc
    >>
    >>Renee
    >>

    > http://www.tawbaware.com/thumber.htm
    >
    > It's clunky in a way- you use the program to generate an html page of
    > thumbnails. But you can select pretty well any piece of the exif
    > information that you want to be included under the thumbnail. It's
    > been a while since I used it; I think that finding and selecting the
    > exif selection was a bit of search through some submenu. Maybe the
    > interface has been cleaned up since the 2.xx version.

    Thank you, Dan! This sounds like what I might be looking for so I'm going to
    give it a try. I'll let you know how it works out.

    Renee

    Renee, Jan 3, 2005
  4. Renee

    Renee Guest

    "Renee" <> wrote in message

    > "Dan Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:03:05 GMT, "Renee" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In particular I would like to find
    >>>software that also prints the following on contact sheets:
    >>>
    >>>Shooting Mode such as Program, Night, Auto, etc
    >>>Light Metering such Evaluative, Spot, etc
    >>>ISO Speed such as Auto, 50, etc
    >>>White Balance such as Auto, Tungsten, etc
    >>>AF Mode such as Manual Focus, Auto
    >>>Photo Effect such as Vibrant, Low Sharpening, etc
    >>>
    >>>Renee
    >>>

    >> http://www.tawbaware.com/thumber.htm
    >>
    >> It's clunky in a way- you use the program to generate an html page of
    >> thumbnails. But you can select pretty well any piece of the exif
    >> information that you want to be included under the thumbnail. It's
    >> been a while since I used it; I think that finding and selecting the
    >> exif selection was a bit of search through some submenu. Maybe the
    >> interface has been cleaned up since the 2.xx version.

    > Thank you, Dan! This sounds like what I might be looking for so I'm going
    > to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works out.
    >
    > Renee

    It's a very nice program and the html page looks great. But it's too bad it
    doesn't quite do the job. The thumbnails include Light Metering and ISO. But
    I'm looking for a little more detail. The thumbnails don't include Shooting
    Mode, White Balance, AF Mode, or Photo Effect. AEB (exposure bracketing)
    setting is another I'm looking for.

    I also tried entering the custom fields for Canon such as "Flash =",
    "Flash=", and "Flash:" but none of them work. I guess that's because the
    EXIF data is not in APP12 format.

    Renee

    Renee, Jan 3, 2005
  5. Renee

    Jürgen Eidt Guest

    "Renee" <> schrieb
    > I also tried entering the custom fields for Canon such as "Flash =",
    > "Flash=", and "Flash:" but none of them work. I guess that's because the
    > EXIF data is not in APP12 format.

    Just a thought, what about renaming the files with all the specific info you
    like to see?
    The file names will be rather large but with this you could use lots of
    software that prints the file name in the index print.

    --
    Regards
    Jürgen

    Jürgen Eidt, Jan 3, 2005
  6. Renee

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:12:21 GMT, "Renee" <> wrote:

    >"Renee" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Dan Daniel" <> wrote in message

    >>> http://www.tawbaware.com/thumber.htm
    >>>
    >>> It's clunky in a way- you use the program to generate an html page of
    >>> thumbnails. But you can select pretty well any piece of the exif
    >>> information that you want to be included under the thumbnail. It's
    >>> been a while since I used it; I think that finding and selecting the
    >>> exif selection was a bit of search through some submenu. Maybe the
    >>> interface has been cleaned up since the 2.xx version.

    >> Thank you, Dan! This sounds like what I might be looking for so I'm going
    >> to give it a try. I'll let you know how it works out.
    >>
    >> Renee
    >>

    >It's a very nice program and the html page looks great. But it's too bad it
    >doesn't quite do the job. The thumbnails include Light Metering and ISO. But
    >I'm looking for a little more detail. The thumbnails don't include Shooting
    >Mode, White Balance, AF Mode, or Photo Effect. AEB (exposure bracketing)
    >setting is another I'm looking for.
    >
    >I also tried entering the custom fields for Canon such as "Flash =",
    >"Flash=", and "Flash:" but none of them work. I guess that's because the
    >EXIF data is not in APP12 format.
    >
    >Renee

    Huh? I used to be able to print info like that. Maybe they removed
    that feature? Too bad. I hope you find something that works for you.

    Dan Daniel, Jan 3, 2005
  7. Renee

    Gaz Guest

    Thumbsplus is superb for contact sheets

    http://www.cerious.com/

    Gaz.

    Gaz, Jan 3, 2005
  8. Renee

    paul Guest

    Renee wrote:

    > I really like the ZoomBrowser / PhotoRecord feature that prints some of the
    > EXIF data on a contact sheet of prints. It includes basic stuff like shutter
    > speed, aperture setting, exposure compensation, focal length, and flash.
    >
    > But it's missing a lot of important data. In particular I would like to find
    > software that also prints the following on contact sheets:
    >
    > Shooting Mode such as Program, Night, Auto, etc
    > Light Metering such Evaluative, Spot, etc
    > ISO Speed such as Auto, 50, etc
    > White Balance such as Auto, Tungsten, etc
    > AF Mode such as Manual Focus, Auto
    > Photo Effect such as Vibrant, Low Sharpening, etc

    There are some customizable aspects in BreezeBrowser. You probably could
    get it to output an html contact sheet with that info. I know it'll
    display all those in various display modes & those can be customized &
    formatted.

    paul, Jan 3, 2005
  9. Renee

    Renee Guest

    I just finished evaluating this software and you are right, Gaz. It is
    terrific! It does everything I want and more. Thank you.

    And thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

    Renee

    Renee, Jan 4, 2005