Software to make directory of photos into website?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ronald Bruck, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. Ronald Bruck

    Ronald Bruck Guest

    I'm using iView MediaPro to create websites. This program works well
    for a "flat" directory of photos, but not for a hierarchical directory.

    For example, it's a lot more convenient to have an index.html file at
    the root level, with thumbnails pointing down into subdirectories; for
    example, a family reunion page might have "Arrivals", "Excursion to the
    Beach", "The First Barbecue", "Kids", etc., with the photos grouped
    according to these themes.

    MediaPro will do the subdirectories well, although I don't like the
    lack of control over various parameters. And I have to build the
    master index file manually. (Or by faking out MediaPro with
    representative photos from the subdirectories, then manually editing
    the result.) MediaPro does a very good job of resizing photos,
    creating good thumbnails, etc., although I wish it had better
    facilities to allow viewers to download the originals. (Again, it can
    be "faked" into doing this.)

    What's the best program to automate this process? I'd also like to
    have a lot of control over captions, which exif comments get included,
    sizes, etc. I'm not afraid to use command-line tools to do this. (I'm
    using Mac OS X, but Linux would do. I'd prefer not to use Windows, but
    will if the best tool only lives there.)

    For an example of faking-out iView MediaPro, see

    <http://imperator.usc.edu/KirkHonoraryDegree/index.html>

    --Ron Bruck

    Ronald Bruck, Jun 16, 2004

  2. Ronald Bruck

    Terry Guest

    Ronald Bruck wrote:

    >I'm using iView MediaPro to create websites. This program works well
    >for a "flat" directory of photos, but not for a hierarchical directory.
    >
    >For example, it's a lot more convenient to have an index.html file at
    >the root level, with thumbnails pointing down into subdirectories; for
    >example, a family reunion page might have "Arrivals", "Excursion to the
    >Beach", "The First Barbecue", "Kids", etc., with the photos grouped
    >according to these themes.
    >
    >MediaPro will do the subdirectories well, although I don't like the
    >lack of control over various parameters. And I have to build the
    >master index file manually. (Or by faking out MediaPro with
    >representative photos from the subdirectories, then manually editing
    >the result.) MediaPro does a very good job of resizing photos,
    >creating good thumbnails, etc., although I wish it had better
    >facilities to allow viewers to download the originals. (Again, it can
    >be "faked" into doing this.)
    >
    >What's the best program to automate this process? I'd also like to
    >have a lot of control over captions, which exif comments get included,
    >sizes, etc. I'm not afraid to use command-line tools to do this. (I'm
    >using Mac OS X, but Linux would do. I'd prefer not to use Windows, but
    >will if the best tool only lives there.)

    JAlbum will do hierarchical directories. You can create text files
    with the captions, instead of (or in addition to) exif/itpc. It builds
    the site based on templates, so you can have quite a lot of control
    over the site appearance and operation.

    Freeware. Runs on mac, windows, linux.

    http://www.jalbum.net

    Terry